Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M die compressing powder

I think Larry Gibson has it right. Decap, clean and size before taking the cases to the progressive gizmo. M-die goes in station 1.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I think Larry Gibson has it right. Decap, clean and size before taking the cases to the progressive gizmo. M-die goes in station 1.
    This is how I load my 223 ammo. It adds an extra step, but this is how it works for me on my Dillon with a failsafe rod. Besides, if you size bottleneck rifle cases in station one, how do you clean the lube off of the cases?

Loaded rounds are wiped down with a rag and alcohol before storage.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I would make a powder funnel/expander to replace the dillon one in the size I wanted and load as usual.

Excellent! Would have to be hardened since he's doing quite a volume of loading. (4140 pre-hard might do?.)
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I have read many many posts by Larry Gibson and have not seen a single post that was wrong. If Larry said it then I believe it. Not that he can't make a mistake, but I have NEVER seen it.

Boolit Master

I too have been doing it the same way Larry Gibson described on my RL450's for all of my cast boolit pistol reloads.

On the subject of compressed powder loads, I can see the advantage of compressing the powder with the M-type die and maybe preventing the loaded COAL from growing, but isn't there the chance some compressed powder will stick to the face of the die, resulting in slightly undercharged/over charged loads as it goes from case to case? Just wondering out loud.
    Last edited by oley55; 06-04-2021 at 06:40 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I run my 308W to 2700 fps (cast) and use faster powder, no problem. Don't have anything slower than LeverE. I also completely process all brass before priming - no need to load bad brass. According to GRT (QL) , you won't get there
    Last edited by popper; 06-04-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    Whatever!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Only issue I've ever had when expanding neck before priming..powder and bullets was occasionally by the time I got to the latter cases the neck has sprung back an started to shave some of the boolits, and I'm doing them in a single stage presses. Possibly a progressive press would not have this kind of issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

I do all my case prep work before I load with my 550 B. M die is used before I clean and polish the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Umm.... no it doesn't. I've run the powder drop in station 3 with no problems at all.
    On the 650:Once it is on the third station, it makes you wonder why it was ever on the second station. I modified my powder measures to operate without the rod. But, you do have to make sure you observe the powder bar cycling at the appropriate times while charging case. The fail safe rod helps prevent both double charges and squib loads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12