Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: DIY Gas Checks?

Boolit Buddy

DIY Gas Checks?

A few years back I was looking at buying a FreeChex (sp?) punch for .223. Never pulled the trigger. But for .223, 9mm, and .308 I'm considering making my own as those are the three cals I shoot the most. I believe I'd be able to use soda/beer cans and make as many as I want for free.

Has anyone gone this route? Are there any other punches to consider or is FreeChex (whatever model they're up to now) the only option?

Thanks!

I like Pat Marlin's dies... I shoot a fair amount of 10mm and I make 40 cal gas checks out of 28 GA copper:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40_Cal_Gaschecks_1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	282043

Name:	40_Cal_Gaschecks_2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	282044

Name:	10mm_With_Custom_GC.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	282045
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    I have been having good luck using the Bud cans that are shaped like bottles they are twice as thick as the regular cans and I have been using a cheap Fiskers paper cutter to make my strips . it is slow take your time . When I bought my tool from Pat Marlin some time back 30 caliber gas checks where going for $80 a thousand and that was about the price of the tool money well spent .

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    I have been having good luck using the Bud cans that are shaped like bottles they are twice as thick as the regular cans and I have been using a cheap Fiskers paper cutter to make my strips . it is slow take your time . When I bought my tool from Pat Marlin some time back 30 caliber gas checks where going for $80 a thousand and that was about the price of the tool money well spent .
    I bought 30 and 35 cal hornady gas checks late last year for $30/1000... I do have the dies for both but it costs nearly the same. I have yet to find 40 cal gas checks and that's why I make my own. The place I get my copper is:
    https://www.riogrande.com/product/co...ad-soft/132128
    This copper is the same thickness as the commercial gas checks and ends up being about 2-3 cents per + your work making them. Maybe someone has a less expensive source?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    So Pat Marlin is pretty much the only game in town and no one uses plain old soda cans?

I seem to remember looking at Pat's maker a year or two ago and it wasn't close to the prices being shared here. Several hundred IIRC. Of course I do a lot of seemingly random shopping so I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Looks like ~$130 shipped per set. However, having to buy the copper instead of using some sort of free scrap makes the venture less appealing. I like the idea of being totally self-sufficient and if I have to order the material just to stamp out the checks, may as well order the checks themselves.

Thanks
    Last edited by emt1581; 04-28-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
    So Pat Marlin is pretty much the only game in town and no one uses plain old soda cans?

I seem to remember looking at Pat's maker a year or two ago and it wasn't close to the prices being shared here. Several hundred IIRC. Of course I do a lot of seemingly random shopping so I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Looks like ~$130 shipped per set. However, having to buy the copper instead of using some sort of free scrap makes the venture less appealing. I like the idea of being totally self-sufficient and if I have to order the material just to stamp out the checks, may as well order the checks themselves.

Thanks
    That would be the PB gas checks...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

You should go the the GAS CHECKS Forum on castboolits. THERE you will find many recommendations, too numerous to rewrite here.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    You should go the the GAS CHECKS Forum on castboolits. THERE you will find many recommendations, too numerous to rewrite here.
    Didn't know such a place existed. I'll take a look.

Thanks!