Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Taught a youngster to cast & coat...

Boolit Master

Taught a youngster to cast & coat...

Ex-Navy boy, nuclear sub engineering type. I'd taught him the essentials of reloading about a year ago just as primers were getting tight and he's been happily making 9mm ammo for himself.

Recently he's found boolits hard to acquire, so I suggested he get himself an MP mold, some WW lead and some 50/50 tin/solder, Lee sizer and to come on over so I could show him the ropes.

We had some discussions while the lead was melting - safety, the make-up of alloys and such - and he got it first time. Once we got to casting, his mold worked well - a 125gr 8-banger on Lee handles - and he'd cast himself about 300 boolits after all was done.

We then moved onto PC'ing and sizing - while his boolits were baking (Eastwood Blue) I drove a slug through his pistol barrel to size it and explained the relevance/importance of sizing correctly. Once his boolits were baked and cooled, I sized a few for him and he took the rest home to run through his own Lee sizing setup (he also took home my spare Lee 10-lb pot for which I charged him a pittance, just to get him started).

Kid's happy and he's safe - one more caster for us
    Last edited by AndyC; 04-28-2021 at 02:27 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Good for you! And him! Having you there in person is priceless! I know! I just begun. I have a relative in BRPC and he gave me a crash course/overview; A one time thing. I have got most of my knowledge from reading here and some books. I also have a friend on here and some other forums and he has been invaluable. But, I had to experience all the firsts ALONE. Looking back, it was for the best, for me. You’re a good guy to mentor another! Bravo Hombre!

Boolit Master
    Ask him to buy a pair of welders gloves as lead splashes from casting hurt. I started using them over 25 years ago and won't even turn the pot on without them. Good habit to get into. Frank

Banned
    Good for you teaching the next generation.

A long-time friend and his son came over asking me to cast and load some boolits for him. I said NO--- But if the son came over I would teach him to do it himself with my equipment.
    He will have to source primers and powder (I told him where and how apr $100 a brick shipped & hazmat)

Awesome! I love this story.
    I really enjoy the journey. Recently, I had a friend that has been reloading come by and I showed him my books and my stuff. I thought that would kind of guide him a little.

He told me the reloads we were shooting were made on a progressive with a powder drop... But the reloads we were shooting were 8MM mauser with varget. He said "well yeah, the powder doesn't drop well so it may be 3 or 4 grains off..." Well, he's using varget - so he can't actually blow up the gun unless he really overloads that case so... But I was kind of horrified. I gave him my Lee Modern Reloading book and said "Just read this and use it for your loads."
    Then I got the new one -- it has 300 BO loads!
    But that guy got taught by someone that didn't give a crap and he very lazy on his reloading. God help him if he starts reloading something like 350 Legend... I tried to show him how to make a book and how to mark what you think vs what you see in the field. Hope that sticks...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    That"s great! Nothing like "passing it on" and watching other's excitement and enthusiasm as they learn something new and have success at it! I'm sure he will have many fond memories of your help in the years to come and I'm sure it is nice to have someone to share the hobby with!

Boolit Grand Master
    “Give a man a box of ammo and he will shoot for a day. Teach a man to reload and he will never run out of ammunition.”
    It’s far too easy for someone to get their ammo from an enabler, then not really appreciate it. If that same person has time and effort invested in that ammo, they will appreciate it and... they can make more for themselves! I’d say AndyC hit just the right spot to help his friend for the short term and the long term. Good job!

Froggie

PS First casts on an 8-banger? It’s a good thing he’s young and strong!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Thank you all. I have to confess it feels a little weird to be "the wise old dude passing along wisdom to the kid..." - then I realized I'm 56 years old and no longer a teenager
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Grand Master

Good on you for helping the young man get started.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Thank you all. I have to confess it feels a little weird to be "the wise old dude passing along wisdom to the kid..." - then I realized I'm 56 years old and no longer a teenager
    Ain't that a slap in the face? When I was about 60 I was driving my heavy haul truck and got to the door of a truck stop and a guy held the door open for me and said; Come on in ol'timer. You are really doing a good thing. Thanx..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek