Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Knives - How many of y’all still carry one?

Boolit Man

I suspect you might get a bias polling this group. I carry one wherever I'm legal doing so. I started out with Swiss Army back in elementary days and would ritually rotate it out of my pocket every Sunday night since I fall into that "no weapons in school" age group (not even cap guns, I checked in kindergarten). Through the years I've gone from CRKT and Emerson folders to Leatherman and Swiss Army with a Mercator and now Civivi scattered in there depending on where I'm spending my time and what I'm doing.

Boolit Master
    I carry a benchmade these days. When I used to have to dress for the office I carried a tiny Gerber 1.5", just because it was tiny and light. I've carried a pocket knife since my grandparents gave me an old timer when I was about 8.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've carried a Swiss Army Knife since Jr. High,
    a Boy Scout knife before that and a Buck in the Service. Now a Buck Gentleman.
    Feel sorta naked without one in each pocket.
    Going into a Courthouse or getting on a Air-Liner, I feel out of balance.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Unless prohibited I always carry a knife.

Currently it's a Lightning OTF model. For ~$33 they are a bargain.

Being able to open and close with one hand is the best thing since buttered bread.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

If I have my pants on I have a knife. It has been that way for over 60 years.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Gotta have a left hand weapon. When I came of age and started carrying a gun I moved my knife to the left side. Spyderco. Always a spyderco with a zip tie.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I had an awful dream that resulted in my carrying of a blade at (almost) all times. I am in my early-mid 30s and I can’t think of any of my friends around my age that carry a knife. Many carry a pistol but they all know that when the need for a sharp knife arises to ask me. I’m very popular around the Christmas tree...

I currently clip a Kershaw into my pocket every morning but I’m not brand picky. I like the spring loaded quick opening blade and the low profile rubberized grips. Most of my jeans are frayed in the corner of the right front pocket.

I’m now of the opinion that everyone should have a knife on them.

Boolit Master

Always carry a knife, unless prohibited (wanded). I have had pocket knives since I was 6 years old and the stupid scars to prove indiscretion.

Right now I have a Spyderco Endura 50/50 Clipit in my pocket, a Leatherman SuperTool 200 on my belt and a Victorinox "Executive" in my front pocket. I use the Leatherman for work stuff (still razor sharp) and the Swiss knife for smaller stuff like digging around my nails (I put the "MAN" in manicure). The Spyderco is shaving sharp as well.

I too am shocked by how many folks don't carry knives. I've been asked many times through the years "hey man can I use your knife?" My first response if "where's yours?" and then "What are you wanting to do with it?" I have had people tell me they wanted to pry something or loosen a screw....I told them to get a pry bar or a screw driver. A knife is the most expensive and innaffective screwdriver or pry bar you'll ever use.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I carry a folding knife in my pocket when I go out.
    There are so many situations that have come up that I was glad I do.

From cutting cord to tie things in my pickup, opening heavy taped packages, to just cleaning my fingernails.
    Worst case scenario would be for defense.
    1A - 2A = -1A

If you see me outside of my home without a knife it's because I forgot to put my trousers on.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Yup! Every day. As has been said, like putting my pants on. As has also been said, got a shoebox full of them. But just one favorite, a 4" closed Boker trapper....made in China! Thought it wouldn't live up to the brand name, but it has. I've carried it for about 8 years now in my back pocket. You know how folks that use Skoal get a visible worn circle in the back pocket of their Levi's? Mine all have the outline of the Boker. A little large for some jobs, a little small for some jobs, but a happy compromise. The only thing I sometimes wish I had is a can opener/bottle opener blade like a Boy Scout knife, but I solved that by having a military P-38 on my keychain.

DG

Boolit Master

I have always carried a swiss army knife.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Moderator Emeritus

Yup. Current is a Buck gf got me. Has a convenient tiny ring on it and hang it next to my keys and sunglasses.

Gosh....how can people NOT carry even a small pocket knife?
    I have a Gerber 2" folding knife that feel naked without.
    Getting dressed in the morning is the checklist - keys, glasses, knife, wallet, fountain pen.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    I rarely carry one around the house or shop . but if I'm going out anywhere I have a small tree brand Barlow style knife I stick in my pocket .

I've got a few really nice ones, but I carry one of those folding ones that has a changeable/replaceable blade.

I use it all the time, and don't want to ding up the blade on the good ones.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

It may just be me in the younger generation where you aren't allowed to carry anything potentially dangerous on your person in your K thru 12, but I don't usually carry a knife on me most of the time. I have one of those Leatherman TREAD tool bracelets that has a small stitch cutter that fulfills most needs of something sharp in my everyday life. The TREAD is usually more novelty fashion item than tool most of the time, but it can come in handy on occasion. However, when I'm doing handy things, I usually take my Gerber Suspension multi-tool with me.

There have been plenty of times where I had needed something easy to grab and sharp for general utility, but when that happens it's only a little inconvenient when it's not around. Usually it boils down to, "I'll just grab my multitool and get it done".

Boolit Master

I'm 53, I'm in the "If I have my pants on I'm carrying a knife" crowd. I have several I rotate between, my current one I carry every day is a Benchmade Super Freek in M4 steel sharpened razor sharp.

Yep. I’m 74, and have carried a pocketknife every day since I was about six. If I have a pocket, there’s a knife in it.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Interesting, my cousin graduated from high school in about 1989, from a small school at the edge of the Ozarks in Arkansas. He said pocket knives were forbidden, but at the time this must have been observed more in the abeyance, because once his coach asked if any of them had a pocketknife because he needed one, and all raised their hands. I got out of high school in 1969 and at that time I had not idea at all that a pocketknife might conceivably ever be considered a weapon. Shoot, about half the pickups in the school parking lot had rifles or shotguns in their gun racks. So from the posts in this thread it looks as though the divide is kind of around age 50 or so, when it appears most school; even rural schools in Arkansas made that decision; some more serious than others. Just a trend I was certainly unaware of until he brought it up.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast