MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Knives - How many of y’all still carry one?

Vendor Sponsor

I carry one of those stainless S&W folders from Auto Zone, 4" blade, belt/pocket clip, best $9 knife you will EVER use! I got a few of them in case of loss or damage, they won't make those forever so I stocked up on a few to keep for future use.

S&W CK70
    Attachment 282015
    Last edited by DougGuy; 04-27-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Cold Steel Ti-Lite Linerlock Knife clipped in my carhart pants tool pocket and a spiderco 3" in my front pocket when in town.
    When in the woods I usually have a 110 Buck Knife on the belt. ( I live in the woods)
    In the Army in my younger days as a gunner in the M60A1 I carried the Leatherman of that era, a Electricians knife by Barlow that had a screwdriver blade with wire stripping capability and a good fat straight edge. You can't believe what a man could take apart with that thing. I still have it.

Boolit Buddy
    I carry two knifes whenever I can.
    A Kershaw # 4500 lever lock, and a Gerber LST
    JW

Boolit Bub
    At 62 yrs , I still carry the govt. issue TL folder . Ed

Boolit Buddy
    I carry a small swiss army and a benchmade assisted open................Curdog

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Armorer77 View Post
    At 62 yrs , I still carry the govt. issue TL folder . Ed
    Almost wore one out as a jury crew chief. Got a second one, but haven't used much.

I doubt that I represent most of the population but I'd feel naked without a good knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8YyDyap7wI

Boolit Master
    I carry a Boker AK-74 button opener every day. When I fly to Michigan for Christmas, my brother gave me his to carry since knives on a plane are a no no. I loved it and he gifted me one on my birthday. His is black and mine is red. Really durable little knife. The kids that work for me all think its a weapon until they discover how easy it is break down boxes, open bags/packages, etc. Then they get idea that its simply an everyday tool.

Boolit Master
    Been carrying a pocket knife, before I went in the service (1971) , sometimes, I carried two of them. I have a Buck 110 that I used used to field dress every deer I've killed, except one. That one, I used a small Buck 444, which is my daily carry knife

Banned
    Forty years ago I attended a winter warfare course in Norway with the Norwegian army. They politely explained that a soldier without a knife was totally worthless and may a well stay home. They were all carrying "Lap" knives with a 10 inch blade. I had a M-8 fighting knife as it looked like a bayonet so the "brass" never bothered me.
    After that education I took carrying a knife as a personal responsibility. Working in an office environment I kept a GT Knives, auto with a Tanto blade in my pocket. Out side I carry a fixed blade. Knock on wood, I have never been stopped or hassled about the very visible knife on my right hip. A 5inch blade is correct for doing anything I may ever need a knife for.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master

I always have and always will .

One of my Dad's little "life rules" were you didn't leave the house without a clean handkerchief and a pocket knife . He made sure I had one by passing down his worn Case knife when he bought a new one .

He taught me how to sharpen it with a oilstone and how to whittle things out of wood .
    When I depart this Earth I'm going to have a clean Handkerchief in one pocket and a Case pocket knife in the other .

Thanks Dad,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Interesting, my cousin graduated from high school in about 1989, from a small school at the edge of the Ozarks in Arkansas. He said pocket knives were forbidden, but at the time this must have been observed more in the abeyance, because once his coach asked if any of them had a pocketknife because he needed one, and all raised their hands. I got out of high school in 1969 and at that time I had not idea at all that a pocketknife might conceivably ever be considered a weapon. Shoot, about half the pickups in the school parking lot had rifles or shotguns in their gun racks. So from the posts in this thread it looks as though the divide is kind of around age 50 or so, when it appears most school; even rural schools in Arkansas made that decision; some more serious than others. Just a trend I was certainly unaware of until he brought it up.
    I graduated after your cousin. In the sticks of NY we were allowed the first day of deer season off as a legal absence. The rest of deer season we would miss first period and come from the woods to school. Our guns were either locked in the car or our lockers. Then Columbine happened and that all changed. I had a kid working for me who was almost arrested because they found a 12ga shell in his trunk during auto shop class.

Within the past few years though my old school started a trap league, so they are once again at least teaching kids some sort of gun education.

Boolit Master

I've been carrying a Western brand model 062 hunter knife for nearly 30 years. It has brown delrin scales and has a long narrow clip blade that I find perfect for filleting fish and a standard clip blade that I use for general work. Each blade is 3.5" in length so I make a point of not carrying it when I travel by air or if I'm wearing dress clothes but if I'm in jeans, its on my belt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt knife.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	282018
    (This photo is an almost exact copy of mine except my bolsters aren't brass but are nickel silver.)
    Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Pocket Knives - How many of y’all still carry one?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I always have and always will .

One of my Dad's little "life rules" were you didn't leave the house without a clean handkerchief and a pocket knife . He made sure I had one by passing down his worn Case knife when he bought a new one .

He taught me how to sharpen it with a oilstone and how to whittle things out of wood .
    When I depart this Earth I'm going to have a clean Handkerchief in one pocket and a Case pocket knife in the other .

Thanks Dad,
    Gary
    Yuppers, gramps rules— 4 things: got on clean undies? Got a hanky? Got your pocketknife on you? Did you go to the bathroom?
    Now I usually have 3 knives on me.
    Carried a few in the Corps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 04-27-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I’m not as hardcore as most of you.
    I’ve only been carrying a pocket knife for 58 years.

I always have, and I always will.Because every day you might have to cut something !

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Swiss Army in my pocket, Buck on my belt.

Here is my Swiss Army knife story....

Good story.

I too carry a Swiss Army knife. Had the same one for over 30 years. About ten years ago one of the scales came off, but they are covered by a lifetime warranty- so I sent it in.

Gosh came back sharpened and new springs and new scales and.. just a great job!

When it left it was configured for a toothpick and a set of tweezers, when it came back it had the toothpick (new) tweezers (new) and an odd little marlinspike that was fitted in the handle as well.

You wouldn't think that a little marlinspike would be so handy. Knot in your shoelaces? Mini-pry bar? Used it for a multitude of things!

One day I decided to sharpen it. Pointy is better than dull, right?

As soon as it kissed the emery wheel it exploded!

Blue goo every where.

Wasn't a marlinspike.

It was a pen.
    Last edited by beezapilot; 04-27-2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Cut & paste story.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Buddy
    I have been carrying 1 or 2 pocket knives since grade school, am 72 now. when I was in school, nearly every boy had at least 1 knife. we also could bring a gun to school, and put it in our locker so we could hunt after school. times change, and not for the better.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    Always have at least 2 on me. One is a bench made that stays sharp and ready to cut flesh, the other is the go-to for cardboard and such. I might have 5 out in the truck right now, pocket knives and fixed blades. Knives are like guns to me, I'm never very far away from either, and never far away from a few or several.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naďve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Yep, always have a pocket knife. If I got pants on there’s a knife in the pocket. Worked for 30+ years for a large company, lately they said no personal knives”you might cut yourself”. I ignored the idiots and continued carrying and using my knife as always. Never a word said. Might be anything from a fixed blade Barkriver to a German stockman or canoe but there will always be a knife on my person. Been that way for 50 years, don’t intend to change it either.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast