Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Knives - How many of y’all still carry one?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ruger1980 View Post
    I have on and off for most of my life. If not on me in my car or service truck. I do seem to loose the expensive ones I buy so I keep to the budget minded ones...LOL.
    I usually have the small one at the top in my watch pocket and sometimes carry one of the other 2.

Attachment 282097
    time for some thread drift,
    - how many of y'all know what a watch pocket is?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Watch Pocket, I do

I carried a Boy Scout knife for many years, in 6th grade our teacher asked if any of us had knives, he then praised those who did, saying that humans were tool users, and should carry tools on them. I agree with that concept!

In high school or so I upgraded to a Craftsman or Case pocket knife and a the belt trio of Leatherman PST, Victorinox Camper (IIRC), and Buck, for years of camping, searches, fixing things, and the mundane non woods parts of life, except if prohibited.

My PST's can opener finally broke after 40+ years, Leatherman's 30 year warranty covered it, so I now have a new Rebar, wish they'd been able to replace the can opener (lots of things fixed with that PST!) but the Rebar will do it

Today I carry the same sorta thing, plus multiple flashlights (each keyring has a tiny Nightcore Tube, then a larger one in my bag) - Seeing is nice, our trainers in SAR loved hauling us out of class at 4PM, tossing us in a truck carrying what we had on, and dropping us off in the boonies, in small groups, "Take a compass bearing of 050 magnetic and we'll see you in the morning.", so we got practiced at carrying large garbage bags, compass, flashlight, etc., as otherwise that was sorta miserable. In the usual rain hereabouts, you CAN find some few trees that shed almost all rain away from their base, but you have to look, more reliable to carry shelter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I was up at my cousin’s a couple of Sundays ago, sipping on a Guinness and the subject of pocket knives came up. My cousin is about 20 years younger and he stays more aware of things than I do. He said, “How many folks that you know carry a pocket knife?” I said I figured most all did. He said, “Ask around and see how many still do”. Cousin said if you will check you will find that very few do. And he said that when he was in school they were forbidden to carry any knives including pocket knives. I thought he was kidding, but maybe he was right, and perhaps I was like Rip Van Winkle and had been asleep for 30 years. I carry a 3" AG Russell featherlite lockblade and a small Swiss Army knife. What do y’all say?
    I normally carry two or three knives, but I also go to a class one of the local technical colleges, where they also have high school students, and knives are forbidden there. Technically, I'm not even allowed to have them in my car while I'm on campus the couple of nights a week I have class. I'm in my mid-60's, and when I was in high school, knives were pretty common at school. And I attended high school in a suburb of Los Angeles, and a small town in Western Colorado. About 25 years ago, I went back to school to become a teacher, and they were frowned on, but not exactly illegal. Now it's a year's suspension even if you left it in your car, if anyone sees it, or it gets reported that you have one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Used to have one and carry it. Now I have a pocket telephone/calculator/computer/library/electronic leash. I'm not sure things have improved, except that when I have to wait in a line, I've got in excess of 13,000 books in my pocket to read while I wait. Oh, and it also tells time.

Swiss Army knife. Carried so much the scales are worn to the point that the metal cross came off. Have Carried a pocket knife evert day since the 70's.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

My preferences are Spyderco/Benchmade/Kershaw/Buck/Victorinox/Wenger/Case/Shrade (USA)/Leatherman/Gerber/Mora in no particular order.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

I've started carrying a knife when I was in grade school and have every since. It was probably against the rules, but I still did it. I try to keep it sharp but thats a never ending job.............

Boolit Grand Master

Had one since I was a kid. Trapper 3 blade then. Switched y ears ago to a pocket clip. Spyderco for a long while now Byrd half serrated. Big fan of the half serrated blades
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    How many know what a stone pocket is?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Stone Pocket?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    Stone Pocket?
    Beautiful Randall! I made the mistake when I was a poor college student buying a Randall #3 W/7" blade. Been in a drawer ever since. Wish I had bought the #1 W/7" blade. Would be worth a mint now.

BTW, the #3 was about $30 when I bought it. That was 57 years ago.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Used mine today. Was at a Mexican fast food place and was getting a beverage. Pushed the water dispenser button in and it stuck, so water just kept coming out. Took out my pocket knife and used the tip to pry the button out and shut off the water. You never know when you're going to need a knife.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Mold
    cannot remember not having one in my pocket, carry at least two or three every day. Don't understand how some carry them and cannot sharpen them. Keep them razor sharp.

Boolit Master
    If I have pants on, I have a knife in my pocket. The only exception is if I'm in a airport or on a plane.

Boolit Master
    Every day I have one or another in my left front pocket.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    Usually carry two, a selected Swiss Army with particular tools in left pocket, a Buck 286 clipped in right pocket, haven't flown since I can't carry my Swiss Army, won't unless I leave lower 48.

Always, at least one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ruger1980 View Post
    I have on and off for most of my life. If not on me in my car or service truck. I do seem to loose the expensive ones I buy so I keep to the budget minded ones...LOL.
    I usually have the small one at the top in my watch pocket and sometimes carry one of the other 2.

Attachment 282097
    The Kershaw Ember (knife on top) is a little gem and costs only $22. I carry one myself.

I have carried a pocket knife as long as I can remember. I have a Swiss Army Knife in my left pocket and at this time a Kershaw 1776BLK clipped to my right pocket.
    RudyN

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Bringing one today to a crawfish boil, Someone has to cut open the strings on the sacks.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast