Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep

Generous Donator

Sheep

Range maggots are now worth 1,300 each? I have a few in my field that are now up for sale.

Too bad there isn’t a train track nearby.

The Associated Press
    SPANISH FORK -- Just eight sheep remain from a flock of 132 that was hit by a train after being chased to the tracks by a dog, the owners say.

Jim Jensen, one of four people who own the group of sheep, said 13 immediately survived the accident but five have since died, and, "There's a couple more of those -- two more at least -- that I'm not sure will make it."

The owners have been raising the registered Suffolk and Hampshire sheep for 20 years, entering them in livestock shows and selling them to 4-H and Future Farmers of America clubs.

It would cost up to $1,300 to replace each of the sheep, said Jensen, who works for Utah State University's extension service in Provo. The sheep, many of which were pregnant, were in a fenced area on Jensen's property on the night of the accident, he said. A dog owned by a resident in west Spanish Fork started to chase them.

To get away from the dog, the sheep ran through an electric fence, then onto nearby Union Pacific railroad tracks, where they were hit by a train.

The dog that chased the sheep was still in the area and police allowed the sheep owners to shoot it, Jensen said.

"You're responsible to take care of your own dog, to make sure it's tied or kenneled and not bother others," he said.

Questions remain about the liability. Jones blames both the dog owner and Union Pacific.

"It is their (Union Pacific's) responsibility to keep the tracks fenced and cattle guard in front of them," Jensen said.

A spokesman with the Omaha, Neb.-based railroad said the incident is under investigation.

"Typically, we do not have fences on our property," said Mark Davis, spokesman for Union Pacific. "Usually, responsibility for maintenance of these fences is that of the property owner."

None
    That was one heckuva sheep dog! Imagine getting all those sheep lined up on the rails like that!

Boolit Grand Master

In Nebraska you couldn't get $1300 if the cowboy was still attached. Those must have been some real special sheep.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I wonder if the kennel has any more of those dogs for sale.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

sheep math

You guys are forgetting that these Utah sheep have a relationship with a University Emp.. and the UP will be considered to be a "deep Pockets" defendant..Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

In Remebrance

Anyone wanna come help me runu a spur from the CSX line to my back pasture?

Boolit Master

Forget the lottery...Buy sheep!
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by SharpsShooter
    Forget the lottery...Buy sheep!

A couple of board members here prefer to breed them...

Boolit Grand Master

oh yes; Texas blondes- Houston hookers- Dallas debutants

Boolit Master

Sheep lie !!

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO
    In Nebraska you couldn't get $1300 if the cowboy was still attached. Those must have been some real special sheep.
    If they are attached, they aren't cowboys. They are sheep boys.

Thumbs up Too bad they couldn't shoot the owner....

Up here, the owner of a dog that kills or "molests" (that's actually the legal term) any livestock is liable for triple damages to the owner. Young, purebred Hamp and Suffolk ewes from well known, proven flocks are easily worth up to $1000, especially if pregnant from a proven ram. With the rams, it depends on the age and how good his offspring have done in the show ring. They aren't little sheep, either. The rams can weigh over 300lbs, the ewes 170 and up. I don't think the prices are out of line, in fact, I think they got off easy by our standards - I'd have nailed the irresponsible SOB for at least $2500 each (plus court costs, vet bills, butcher bills for processing the carcasses, and my lawyer's fees) and THEN charged him a few hundred bucks more for both the labor and the emotional trauma for having to shoot and bury the dog, and the ammo and the labor of cleaning the gun after. If you gotta do it, do it up right.
    Can you tell I've been there before? I didn't usually make out quite that well, mostly coyotes-with-collars (Shoot, Shovel and Shut up about it), but that case is public and well documented, and I can't help but cheer him on. I love dogs, more than I care for people (except for my kids, usually), but you have to be responsible for your dogs, and letting them off to run unsupervised is just not acceptable.
    I don't know if I would hold the railroad liable, but the lawyers have got the bit in their teeth and the farmer's along for the ride now!
    Last edited by versifier; 01-04-2006 at 04:12 AM.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master

I don't think $1300 is enough for a good quality purebred animal especially a ewe (female). If you loose an animal that is 2 or 3 years old that will probably have twin lambs or better
    every year until she was 10-12 years old or older you've lost a lot of income. Not every lamb is going be be a winner but many will be and the rest will still bring good money at the sale barn.

Here in Ohio we are only paid the fair market value for an animal that is killed or "molested" by coyotes or dogs. That value is determined by the county commissioners who probably call the county extension agent (a sheep owner in this county). I've had one commercial lamb killed by coyotes and I received the fair market value on my claim.

If I ever have a purebred animal killed by a coyote or dog I'm sure I'll have a fight on my hands. We've got a lot of years in those animals not to mention expense. I'll most likely have to get the lawyer involved (another sheep owner).

Just so you don't get me wrong, the sheep owner has to be responsible for safe guarding his animals too. I build fences that will keep my sheep and cattle in and hopefully predators out. We live in a coyote rich area and I run guard dogs with my purebred and commercial flocks. That ain't cheap. I also believe that adhereing to the 3 Ss (Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up) is a way of safeguarding my livestock.
    Chuck

How much do you pay for an animal like that?

"Here in Ohio we are only paid the fair market value for an animal that is killed or "molested" by coyotes or dogs. " If your sheep is killed by coyotes, who pays you for it?
    Last edited by wills; 01-04-2006 at 02:34 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

Wills - It's hard to but a value on our purebred brood ewes. They are the ones that I think are worth more than $1300. I've got 15 years worth of work and expense in developing them. I'm not going to throw dollar amounts around but you can pay as much for a good ewe lamb as you might for a good heifer calf. If I loose a ewe that gives me a high percentage of good saleable ewe lambs we're out all the income from that ewe over her lifespan.

Who pays for the sheep killed by coyotes? The taxpayer, of course. Each county has a fund to pay for livestock killed by dogs and predators. Some of the county money comes from the sale of dog licenses, some from the state because the coyotes being wildlife belong to them and I think there may be some federal money in there too. The county basically pays based on the county dog warden's determination because in this county we all know the state wildlife officer is going to say the evidence in inconclusive. Been there. He's just a formality but you need his signature on a form to get paid. I do know they distinquish between dog and predator kills as far the payments go. Filing claims for coyote or dog kills is not how I like to sell sheep.
    Chuck

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    A neighbor has a good-sized flock of Navajo-Churro sheep she shows and raises with her 4-H'ers for wool and pelts. She got a guard llama (a neutered male works best), and was wondering if it was really doing any good. Then one day she heard a commotion and went out to see a couple of the local "Houndsmen" (they "run" deer for sport) lifting a couple of Rottweilers or Pit Bulls (I fergit which) over the fence to "play" with the sheep. The llama woke from its doze, ran over, and with those BIG flat feet stomped one dog flat dead, and then kicked the other one back over the fence, about half-dead. The "houndsmen" started to raise a ruckus about her big brutal whatever-it-was killing their precious dogs. About then her husband came up with his 30&30 - he's an Apache, and looks it; they got VERY quiet, collected their dog carcasses and took off.

Around here, the law says if you have sheep and they are properly fenced, any dog on your land is dead meat if it is "molesting" your livestock (and YOUR word is good on that), and the deputies and wardens will back you up.

Boolit Master

Ohio is about the same as far as dogs molesting livestock goes. If the animals are where they are suppose to be and a dog comes along and agitates them in any way he's fair game.

I've heard a lot of good stories about llamas as guard animals but I've never had the urge to try them out. Guard dogs have worked very well for us.
    Chuck

The law over here is the same, any dog found bothering sheep or cattle is, if found by the land owner, liable to be on the receiving end of a 12 guage. Our good breeding sheep are of the Merino breed and sell for small fortunes here, aus$4000.00 and upwards.

Re the Lamas guarding sheep, I know of a farmer who uses Alpaca's for the same job. They are very good with dogs and foxes but don't get too close to them when they are upset, they spit like a camel, it stinks and they are very accurate with it as well.

Ron.

FESTINA LENTE

Not to mention any names, but I sure hope one of our friends from Texas is following this thread on Llamas and Alpacas, wouldn't want to see him get hurt... They can be mean SOBs and in addition to those feet, they have multiple sets of sharp teeth.