Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: T7 and PTX dies...wow!

Smile T7 and PTX dies...wow!

I had to get rid of many of my presses and guns back in 2017 due to a job loss. Had to downsize the home too. Anyway, I kept a T7 press and an RCBS measure I had converted to case-fed-powder dump via Hornady parts. I also kept a set of PTX expander powder dies and the little turn buckle that helps you dial the expanding in. Last week was the first time since the economic disaster that I actually reloaded a cartridge. I just inherited a Taurus M92 in 9mm and needed some ammo. I got bullets and cases from a friend. I had powder and primers. So I set the T7 up with Lee dies. A carbide sizer, an expander, the powder measure and a bullet seater. Dang, talk about slow. I was used to a LNL with all of the bells and whistles. Anyway, about 45 rounds in, I remembered the PTX dies. I checked them out and couldn't find a .355 die. So, I miced a .357 die and figured out a way to make it work. Man, did that speed things up! I give two thumbs up to Hornady for inventing that system. Not only does it save a station on progressives, but it works well on a turret press too.
    Last edited by omgb; 04-26-2021 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

Hornady didn't invent the powder through expander.
    NRA Benefactor.

Not the die, the system including the little turnbuckle.
    R J Talley

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    ... Anyway, about 45 rounds in, I remembered the PTX dies. I checked them out and couldn't find a .355 die. So, I miced a .357 die and figured out a way to make it work. Man, did that speed things up! I give two thumbs up to Hornady for inventing that system. Not only does it save a station on progressives, but it works well on a turret press too.
    I'd like to hear more about "I miced a .357 die and figured out a way to make it work." I have both the RCBS and Hornady case activated setups, but am not happy with the amount of case expansion. My Lee 356-125-2R PC'd bullets are sized to .357", but after seating to 1.081" COAL and pulling I find the base of the bullets are being swaged down to .3565". So I am currently using an NOE 359 (357/38) expander to expand a bit deeper into the case and then using the Hornady PTX to flare the mouth and dump powder. I am open to almost any option to eliminate that extra expander step.
    Last edited by oley55; 04-28-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Are yu using the little turnbuckle that limits depth and flare?
    R J Talley