Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You've never heard of it?

Boolit Master

You've never heard of it?

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Ruger Predator rifle and wanted to pick up some lapping compound to smooth out the bolt.

Went to the local Autozone store and asked the clerk where the lapping compound was. Young boy of around 20 or so. I have primers older than him. Blank stare. He asked his slightly older co-worker. Never heard of it. Then the middle-aged female manager came out and, again, had no idea what I was talking about.

So I got to explain to all three what lapping compound is and how it is used in engine building and firearms.

They didn't have any.

Napa was closed, so had to drive the fifteen miles back home empty-handed.

I wonder what else today's auto parts store clerks have never heard of...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I bought Valve Lapping Compound At O'Rileys (SP) Auto Parts about a Year ago.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2A-Jay View Post
    I bought Valve Lapping Compound At O'Rileys (SP) Auto Parts about a Year ago.
    I should have tried there, I guess. They were just another few hundred yards down the street.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I bought Valve Lapping Compound At O'Riellys (SP) Auto Parts about a Year ago.
    I got mine from O'Reilly's a few years ago. Still haven't used it yet. The day I do is getting closer, though...

Bill

Boolit Master
    https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-ga...ing%20compound

Must not know how to look up a product either.

It is shocking at the number of Illiterate people in the Work Force today isn't it?

Boolit Master
    It is shocking at the number of Illiterate people in the Work Force today isn't it?
    It isn't just illiterate. It's ignorant, and unable or unwilling to learn. Or work, for that matter. If they can't find it on a computer it doesn't exist.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Ha, Hand them a 20 bill and wait for the correct change, If the machine doesn't tell them how much to give back, Well most of them are blowed up !

Boolit Master

I bought 2 tubes of it one coarse one fine about a year ago , I do not doubt how many of the younger ones do not know about it , same at work most are to dumb to trace out piping or bother to trouble shoot anything , now the power cords need sent in to get new plugs .

I find having lapping compound to be a necessity , along with files and sand paper , sharpening stones .

Boolit Grand Master
    Even the fine valve grinding/ lapping compound is pretty coarse for gun work. I bought an assortment from Brownell's close to thirty years ago when I started jeweling bolts and other gun parts.

What I use most is the 800 grit stuff that came with my scope ring lapping kit.

Robert

Boolit Master
    not a whole lot of folks rebuild engines these days in our current throw away society and specialized products are getting more and more difficult to find.
    ive only ever gotten 2 new guns in my life but do the new rugers need smoothing out right out of the box? let us know what the fit and finish is when you get it if you would

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ive only ever gotten 2 new guns in my life but do the new rugers need smoothing out right out of the box?
    The Ruger American series of rifles are pretty notorious for making a weird "zipping" noise when working the bolt. Sort of like rubbing your nail on corduroy pants. It's due to the rough machining inside the receiver.

Boolit Buddy
    “I wonder what else today's auto parts store clerks have never heard of.“

The kids at Auto Zone here don’t know what breaker points are.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    “I wonder what else today's auto parts store clerks have never heard of.“

The kids at Auto Zone here don’t know what breaker points are.
    Only reason I kept a book of matches in my glovebox of my `69 Ford Torino was adjusting the points.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    It isn't just illiterate. It's ignorant, and unable or unwilling to learn. Or work, for that matter. If they can't find it on a computer it doesn't exist.
    So true, those who raised this worthless generation should be ashamed, they are to blame for not instilling values in their childern.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

`69 Ford Torino Terrible car. A thin dime works too but nobody's got one now, just paper bills.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Reminds me of one time I wanted some motor oil
    asked the clerk for some 10w30 and his reply was
    we don't have any but we have this low30 (10w30)
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l225.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	281971
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

You guys are pretty harsh on the youngins, and there is plenty of reason with a lot of them.

I'm fortunate to live and work in small town America, and while we've got no shortage of stupidity, both kids and adults, we also have a good number of young men and women who would fit nicely in any generation.

I love them all the more because I know what they are up against being raised in this last couple of decades.

Don't forget that YOU might plant the seed that sends one of these guys in the right direction. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Reminds me of one time I wanted some motor oil
    asked the clerk for some 10w30 and his reply was
    we don't have any but we have this low30 (10w30)
    Like the kid at the bagel shop responded when I asked for a half pound of cream cheese.
    "...I'm sorry sir, all we have are the 8 ounce sizes".
    We are headed for disaster.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast