MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke in the house!!

Boolit Grand Master

Smoke in the house!!

Came home yesterday after about four hours away, tired wanting to go to sleep. I walked in and immediately noticed a fairly thick cloud of acrid smoke in the house.

Let me tell you that will get the heart rate elevated, right now.

Smelled like plastic/ electrical fire, so I started looking for fresh tendrils of smoke (didn't hear any active fire, nor see flames). Checked the electric cook stove, off and cold. Checked every electric appliance in the house, no excessive heat.

Third round through the house, I am checking every outlet and light switch by feel for heat, nothing. By now I am starting to consider calling for help.

Walked in the bathroom and found it (out and cold, thank the lord). Still checked under the house for hot spots.

The cat had knocked over a spray can of starch (maybe sizing, but lets not quibble) a day or so before. Evidently it took a while for the plastic valve to fail and leak what must have been propane propellant. It got to the water heater pilot light and flames commenced.

Source of the plastic smell was a 7/8 melted ice cream bucket and about half of a container of dog shampoo.

Windows were opened for the first time this year and the fan turned on to desmoke the house. My dog was fine, the stupid cat was even fine.

It could have been worse, I could have turned the corner and saw a firetruck watering the foundation.

Moral of the story, be careful of aerosol containers anywhere close to an ignition source.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Great message Robert and a great warning that I had never thought about....glad your home and pets are ok brother! Did you get all the smell out yet?
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Wow, fire is real scary. I’m glad you ended up OK!

Congrats for finding the source and resolving the issues, and thanks for sharing.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master
    You know, its not the fact that the valve failed after getting knocked over, its the fact that it took a few days to fail. We've all seen a spray can of whatever get knocked over and start spraying, but to take days to do it?

Like I said, it could have been worse.

Even after forced airing, it still had a stench last night, so I cut a big bouquet of lilacs. Could smell anything but them this morning.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Another reason not to have a cat
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Nope. Best reason to keep cats. They'll keep you on your toes, and guessing!

Bill <---- cat & dog person, and even my dog is a cat person.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow Brother, that was a close call! Glad a little lingering smoke is the only thing that happened. I never would have thought about an aresol can doing that.

We have a home security system that has smoke and fire protection sensors that gives us a little piece of mind while we are away, or asleep.

Boolit Master
    I had a similar experience last night!!!
    Started the oven, and POOF!! SMOKE!!
    My wife had boiled over scalloped potatoes the night before!!!!
    All joking aside.... I am happy you found your issue before it became one.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'll stop complaining now about my little cast boolit problems. Glad you got peace of mind.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    You were lucky, bathrooms are pretty fire resistant.
    You'd be surprised how many fires burn out while people are away. They come home from vacation to find rooms or even entire interiors scorched. I've seen two areas around fish tanks burn & the heat from the fire cracked the glass putting out the fire. One of those people were on vacation.
    I also once saw where people came home from being away and found the whole inside of the house scorched. Fire smothered itself out from lack of oxygen.
    When I go away I shut off everything I can at the switch or breaker. Boiler, well, water heater. I had an apartment in my house for my mother she split her time in NY & Fl while she was gone the TV, clock, radio exc. all were unplugged. All these cheaply made electronics especially bootleg chargers & lithium batteries all have the potential to cause a fire.
    Another common fire is the use of a portable generator during an emergency where underrated cheap extension cords are strung through doors, windows and across floors/carpets ect. If you payed under $50 for that long extension cord it probably isn't rated to run your refrigerator, coffee pot & microwave. lol
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 04-24-2021 at 11:41 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! Close call, glad nothing else was damaged.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    First, I'm glad you found the problem quickly and prevented a tragedy.

Now that I'm a mature adult (read: gettin' old) I'm amazed at the LACK of fire prevention training in our schools these days. When I was in elementary school, our fire department came around each year and demonstrated the perils of stored gasoline, the basics of the "fire triangle", etc. I still remember it all these years later. The demonstrations included a gasoline soaked rag ignited by a flame six feet away, a tennis ball fired from a steel pipe using one drop of gas and a spark plug (always a popular stunt).......stuff that stuck in a kid's mind.

Why bore you with my childhood memories? Because we had a bad fire in our local school district office recently. It started in a store room where a workman had thrown a pile of linseed oil soaked rags in the corner and they self ignited (spontaneous combustion.......see? I remember). After the fire was extinguished, the workman was questioned about it and exclaimed that "no one told him about it". Say what??

The OP took the right actions and located the source quickly........common sense in a man trying to protect his home. Hat's off to you sir!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Many years ago on Easter, we had a slow but increasing smell of smoke in the house.

We kept searching but couldn't find it for quite a while...

Finally found the walnut that someone had put atop a 250w 3-way light's shade holder, which got rather warm and smoked. Problem solved but dang, that had us nervous!

Very glad your situation went OK if non ideally.

I've heard of simmering some cinnamon sticks or cloves in water on the stove to block out smoke smell.

I had a tablet with horrid cigarette smoke smell on it, I put it in a paper sack and that sack inside another full of charcoal briquettes, removed the smell in a few weeks. There are ways to remove scents

Boolit Master
    Fire can be deadly, expensive & sometimes happen from some strange places.
    My family lost a 2 story business in the 1970's to fire. (It was arson from the renters.)

That aside, I'm glad to hear all is fine except for the smell & minor clean-up.

While some may want to blame the cat, the cats or dogs we own do NOT know about such dangers. Not right.

Here are a few tips to assist in removing the smell.

As noted above, charcoal briquettes (plain, not instant light) can be an excellent odor absorber. In the case of a room, I suggest to some of my customers a simple method.
    Go outside, using a cardboard box, break up the bricks into chunks. Place the chunks in a nylon stocking, tie the end shut. Cut off the excess nylon. Basically, making a breathable bag of freshly exposed charcoal.
    Next, hang 3-4 bags of them inside the room, AND block off any HVAC vents, & close the room off. Stop any "new" air flow to the room.
    Another good odor absorber, Baking soda. Open a few boxes, put 1/2 a box in a plain dish, & leave the other 1/2 in the box. Place 4-6 of these inside a room, and again block off any airflow.
    Allow 12-24 hours to notice a difference.

Glad that it wasn’t worse for you.....as it could have been very bad! Fire is one of my greatest fears! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I recently cleaned the dryer lint from inside the dryer all the way up inside the attic,A real good 3/4 bag of fire started I removed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Nope. Best reason to keep cats. They'll keep you on your toes, and guessing!

Bill <---- cat & dog person, and even my dog is a cat person.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    BINGO! Or a dog in the house. I will not have either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    I recently cleaned the dryer lint from inside the dryer all the way up inside the attic,A real good 3/4 bag of fire started I removed
    Dryer fires start in the vent not the dryer. Good on you and stay on it. Dryer vents should go straight out an outside wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast