Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoke in the house!!

Boolit Master
    A long time ago, my wife had the flu and I noticed cool smoke laying on the kitchen floor. I could smell it but couldn't find the source. The woodstove was on. Smoke poured out of the cabinet the oven was in. After searching the house, l had to call the FD. They said yep, fire, and pulled the oven, no fire. It was woodsmoke, not plastic or electric. They searched the house without luck then one of em yelled "Got it". It was in the garage, full of smoke but no flames; the only place I didn't look. After all, why would it be there? Got the car out and they hosed the source.

I had a woodpile in there. I had tried to fit a log in the stove last night when the stove was cold ( so I thought). It didn't fit so l put it back in the garage. An ember caught the log end like a cigar and it slowly burned a circular hole in the wall. The woodstove vacuum is what sucked the smoke in, up the studs, across the ceiling joists and down into the oven cabinet.

I have pictures of aerosol cans imbedded in Sheetrock from kitchen fires, something left out on the counter,unattended cooking and rock and roll. I did most of my career investigating fires, as medic firefighter, I stayed did investigations or assisted/directed Fire Prevention Investigators, fun times.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for all the kind words.

This wasn't the cats fault, it was my fault for not picking up and disposing of the can he knocked over, (I'm not the best housekeeper in the world).

As to why I had a spray can of starch sitting out where he could knock it off the counter? Laziness, pure and simple. It would have only taken a few seconds to open the cabinet door two feet away and store it safely.

I've known since boot camp firefighting training that I want no part of fighting a compartment (read inside a house for you land lubbers) fire. Hats off to all the people that intentionally go into a burning building, you have my respect.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Fire is one of anyone sane's greatest fears. Kudos to firefighters for facing it, also maybe they should have their head examined

I cannot IMAGINE a home without pets, a cat or dog provide comedic relief, attention, sometimes vexation, love, shed fur, and snuggles, that is something important especially in the eon of covid, if I had no pets I'd be the poorer by their lack.

Oh. And do be careful with furkids & fire, I had a very fluffy 18# male who kept trying to INSIST that he had to walk over an olive oil lamp's flame, that would have gone very badly!

Moderator Emeritus

Propane is a very common aerosol propellant. For what ever reason, it is easier to get clean gas than clean air.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    And then you are in the basement, and notice a flicker out of the corner of your eye. lint in the 30 year old dehumidifier switch, Very interesting!

Boolit Master
    had a dimmer switch overheat smell of burning plastic took days to clear.

Had a breaker panel in my tech room, one night I heard a noise and looked up to see sparks coming out of the panel, when the dryer cycled on, turns out someone had not tightened the wire well in installation? Had to replace that breaker and trim the wire back a few inches. Sparks from loose connections in your walls, that's not good...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    When I go away I shut off everything I can at the switch or breaker. Boiler, well, water heater. I had an apartment in my house for my mother she split her time in NY & Fl while she was gone the TV, clock, radio exc. all were unplugged. All these cheaply made electronics especially bootleg chargers & lithium batteries all have the potential to cause a fire.
    /\ I'm with You /\

Having seen my share of disasters that occurred in unoccupied homes (some my own and many from others) I shut down the house as much as possible if it will be unoccupied for an extended period of time.
    Water leaks may not be as bad as fire but they seem to occur more often.
    Pumps and water heaters get shut off. Pipes get drained if it's winter.
    If it doesn't need electricity when I'm gone, it gets shut down. And that means unplugged, not just turned off.
    Pilot lights are extinguished and gas is shut off.

The few minutes it takes to shut down the house and the few minutes it takes to bring it back online is trivial compared to the time & money needed to correct damage from fire & water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12