Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having a lot of setbacks...

Boolit Master
    Had a friend shoot some 80 grain cast powdercoated in a 25-45 Sharps rifle.

He shot some other reloads first then tried the powdercoated boolits.

The first hit the target in the same spot as the other ones but the other 4 did not make the trip to 100 yards.

Seems that heat was the problem with that test.

Since that time they have worked well.

He did tell me that he had shot the others without a break in between.

So maybe?

Moderator Emeritus
    I have vaporized some cast bullets in a 22-250. They were very consistent. A small grey cloud appeared about 15 yards from the barrel after each shot.

Boolit Buddy
    For .223, I use a 55 grain rcbs, pc and gc, over 18 grains of AA2230. This shoots well in a handi rifle, and also in an AR15. It cycles the bolt and is accurate enough to hit the center of a 9x13 inch steel target at 200 meters consistently. I think the problem you're having is because 1) too much velocity, and 2) no gas check.
    Good luck.

Boolit Master

There are dozens of powder choices in the reloading manuals for 223 caliber boolits. I have five of the listed powders. Though finite, the mind numbing possible variations (with dozens of powders) are in total more than I care to test.

So far, I have worked with two powders, Win 748 and Hi "Skor" 700X. Additional powder choices I have include Unique, SR-7625, and IMR 4227. Fast handgun powders do not fill a 223 case and contribute to other concerns.

If accuracy, and my patience, don't converge with the components and powders I have on hand, oh well! Jacketed bullets work well in these 223 caliber Handi-rifles and I have plenty of those.

Lead is cheap, and for me, 2000#'s of it was free as was 800#'s of WW's. Through the purchase of some cheap flea market and thrift store Tin, I'm set for life in making alloy.

Gas checks are currently an over-inflated waste of money. I bought a bunch years ago, but in doing that, those are not zero cost. As important as they are for increased velocity and a "lead free" bore, every one I shoot depletes inventory. Perhaps the purchase of a GC die and punch are in my future to convert in hand roof flashing sheet metal, but the "do I really want to do that" Jury is still out.

I have just started to PC and that is new to me. It should "get better" the more that I do. I remain tentative, but am hoping for a favorable outcome. I currently do not think PC is "better than sliced bread".

Perhaps I am toying with too many variables all at once - PC, powder, GC's, alloy, hardness, moon phase, add a few _____.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Checks, powder and primers are all “precious” right now. I am not doing cast in .224 bores yet as I have only gone as small as .257” thus far but IMO, you either need to add checks, slow down a lot or get very creative on how to emulate having a check.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned
    I use PC's GC boolits and a harder alloy for 223 (quenching your boolits after you PC would help)

this came out of "one book/One caliber"

Boolit Master

Yes I will PC, GC, and quench, thank you Conditor22. See post #16...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    l have a Lyman Cast Boolit Handbook copyright 1973. On 223 section 4 molds are listed:
    #225107@38gr
    #225438@45gr
    #225415@50gr
    #225462@58gr
    All were #2 alloy w/GC molds. Highest velocity listed w/50&58gr boolit molds was with 630 powder. 10gr MIN. 12.5gr MAX for both boolits. MAX velocity: 50gr boolit 2430fps@27,000CUP.
    Max velovity: 58gr boolit 2285fps@29,400CUP.
    #225415 is only mold listed in LYMAN@50 HANDBOOK. UNIQUE is only pdr listed in both handbooks.
    1973 handbook
    6.8gr UNIQUE 1900fps@20,400CUP.. MAX 9.5gr UNIQUE 2300fps@35,000CUP
    LYMAN #50 is same data as 1973 handbook.
    From #50LYMAN l would likely use IMR-4227 data because it has the lowest pressure @23,200CUP.
    One interesting comparison between 2 Lyman Handbooks almost 50yrs apart is publishedweight. 1973 handbook lists #225415@50gr. Lyman#50 says 225415 now weighs 55GR. l suppose even boolit molds gain weight over the years. l know l did

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12