RepackboxADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading UKInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2

Thread: Partially assembled J bullets

Boolit Bub

Partially assembled J bullets

Hello new here, long time lurker, student. I have no experience with swaging. My background as far as casting goes is limited to black powder and recently powder coated cast rifle bullets.

I have recently came into the possession of "We can call it a Barn find" of J4 jackets some partially assembled flat base and boat tail cores installed, and some empty jackets. I believe these have been in storage for about 15 years. some are discolored some like new and some were wet. Anyway seeing how there is a shortage of material out there I was wondering if there would be any interest for these J - ackets. This is not a for sale add! I just want to see if there is interest. BTW various lengths and calibers. I have not inventoried all of it yet. We are talking multiple thousands here. I am not going to put in effort unless there is interest. Please feel free to reply with suggestions. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    No response can be very helpful without info on caliber and length. Hopefully they came to you sorted, if they are all just loose in a bucket I’d recycle them.

Boolit Buddy
    There would be interest as supplies for these items are in short supply. But additional info is needed.

Please don't make any offers to buy or sell, as that would be a violation of T.O.S. #1. The OP is simply requesting information on what he has, as stated in the original post.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    Hello all, these are all J4 jackets, I am not a swager. I do not know if someone would be interested in jackets with cores already in them. I plan on recovering lead from the really dirty stuff, I have .17, 243, 254, .224, 308 , 6mm? jackets in various lengths and core weights. If there is interest in these I would get together a list. I know the empty jackets are in demand no problem there. I am trying to decide the value and demand for the jackets that have been already been assembeled with the cores installed. I would hate to "waste" these if they are useable to someone in there current form. I also have what I will call "blemish bullets" I have not weighed them but I assume there is something wrong with them either weight or other issues, these are defiantly shootable bullets, just not match grade. I have a use for the pure lead and can just melt them all down and scrap the copper jackets. I would rather pass them on to some one else.

Boolit Bub
    If anyone is interested, I will weigh and measure some if requested a a specific size. Thanks

Boolit Master
    For best results, try for a lump sum price or put it up for auction, they will sell and you only have to mail them once. YMMV

Slim
    RETIRED
    NOT MY PROBLEM ANYMORE

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Slim, But I have too many to put up for auction. Besides I don't have the post count to sell them here. I am just trying to see if there is interest in this stuff. I don't know much about swaging. Who knows maybe I will have enough posts eventually to sell them if there is interest. Thanks.

I'd suggest seeking out a swager in your area to give you an opinion from someone with experience.
    I can tell you, if you were local to me, I'd be very interested in seeing the lot.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Huvius,
    I was hoping someone local might read this post. I would like to have an assessment of what I have from someone knowledgeable with swaging.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by magdump View Post
    Thanks Huvius,
    I was hoping someone local might read this post. I would like to have an assessment of what I have from someone knowledgeable with swaging.
    Where is local to you? Not in your avatar nor in posts that I saw.

Boolit Bub
    Updated info MRWolf

Boolit Bub
    To all interested, I just took a quick look at the jackets. I have many thousands and varieties. I will try to get a list together, Most of the jackets have core installed. I do have some that are as new. I would like to spread these around if possible to give as many people an opportunity at some. If there is not much interest I will recover the lead and scrap the jackets. I have already scrapped some of the ugly ones.
    Will length, OD, and weight be enough information? mostly 308, 6mm, 243, 224.

Quote Originally Posted by magdump View Post
    To all interested, I just took a quick look at the jackets. I have many thousands and varieties. I will try to get a list together, Most of the jackets have core installed. I do have some that are as new. I would like to spread these around if possible to give as many people an opportunity at some. If there is not much interest I will recover the lead and scrap the jackets. I have already scrapped some of the ugly ones.
    Will length, OD, and weight be enough information? mostly 308, 6mm, 243, 224.
    Again, don't make offers to sell or buy outside of S&S.

Reloader Fred
    CB Staff
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    No selling here don't want to break any rules, I am only trying to see if there is interest and how to describe these jackets, I am not up on this subject. I have received several helpful PMs educating me on the subject. Thanks to those who helped out. I will be making an inventory and maybe if I have the post count I will put these up in the SS then. I mostly come here to read about casting. My knowledge is very limited on the subject so I have little to offer posting here. That is why I have low post count. I used to participate over on Marlin Owners quite a bit years ago. Mostly just read posts now. Thanks Fred.

Boolit Bub
    I am still working on an inventory. I will update when done. Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    Hello all, Inventory is done (mostly). I will be listing these soon in SS. Thanks for the interest.