Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 220 swift for deer

Boolit Buddy

I haven't taken any deer with a 22 centerline yet. I would think the swift would work better with a 1 in 8 twist barrel. The newer bullets that are designed for deer are all long and may not stabilize in a 1in 12 or 14 twist. I'm talking about Barnes TTSX, nosler accubond, swift scirrocco etc.
    All that being said, I have a 1 in 8 twist 22-250 that I'm going to try 62 gr TTSX bullets in. Good hunting

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    With all the wonderful new, heavier bullets, no doubt it will work fine with a well placed vitals shot. Many (many, many, many) years ago before the advent of all these new bullets, I got my second mule deer with a 222 but I reduced the velocity to get some expansion and eliminate the explosive nature of the high velocity bullets of that time. It worked well. If I were to consider using using either my 222's or 223's now for deer (not legal in my state), I would still tailor my load for an impact velocity of 2200-2400 fps with a projectile of 60 gr or heavier.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    What got me thinking about this,other than the 30 carbine post,was a book I read on the 220 Swift.
    The author had no misgivings about using the 220 Swift on everything and he hunted in Africa with it
    he has taken game far larger than whitetail I think he even took a Elephant with it. Just thought I would
    see what other people's experiences have been with it.
    Roy E. Weatherby was basically the father of sub-caliber high velocity cartridges for large game. He took a lot of heat for it. What is the book you are referring to? I am interested in what bullets are claimed to be used for elephant?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    If you know what you can do I see no problem with it. If I hunted form a stand I know I can put a round from my .222 exactly where I aim. But I still hunt. So I carry something larger in case it is a running shot at distance. I'm getting to worn out to still hunt so I might go to my .222 this fall.

Boolit Grand Master
    The book is called," One mans passion for the 220 swift cartridge".
    he actually shot Hippo and Crocks as well
    check it out it is a good read
    Last edited by white eagle; 04-26-2021 at 10:14 AM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

The bool is called," One mans passion for the 220 swift cartridge".
    he actually shot Hippo and Crocks as well
    check it out it is a good read
    Thanks for the info. It appears to be out of stock everywhere including eBay.

Did find this short article of interest.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/16/2...e-vs-big-game/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I cannot count the number of whitetail deer I have seen shot and killed with a .22-250. Using factory loaded 55 grainers to handloads with anything from 52 gr match to 60 gr SP. It worked well for head/neck shots or lung shots. I would stay away from trying to break shoulders though.

I can't see a properly loaded .220 Swift being any different in the field. I would not try it with a reduced cast load.

Robert

Boolit Master
    P.O. Ackley endorsed it in his writings.. I have shot several with 12 + 20 gauge slugs. They some times run and/or get up... Although you can see the the explosion out the other side...RAW HORSE POWER....

Boolit Buddy
    W.D.M.Bell wrote at least one article on shooting Scottish Red Deer (neck shots) with .220 Swift - American Rifleman, late 1940s.

Boolit Buddy

I'm fond of the 22 Hornet 45 gr SP, right behind the ear! NOE 22 caliber at 40 grs. works too its GC too!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Master
    I’ve never owned or shot a .220Swift, but have a 1/14” twist .22-250. It’s a Remington M700 ADL. It’s the most accurate rifle I own. I’ve killed a dozen or so deer with it. Mostly with 60gr Hornady PtSpts, but also 55gr btspts, and 63gr Sierra SemiPts. I’ve taken three dozen or so with .22Hornets, .223’s also. Opening morning of ‘17, I took three does with three shots with my Marlin M1894 in .218Bee. 40gr Armscor JHP over 13.1gr H.Lil’Gun in reformed Starline .32-20 brass.
    I’ve also taken about a half dozen does with the .22Hornet using a Lyman .225415 over 6.2gr of #2400.

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

I’ve lost more deer with either a .243 or .30/30 than any other cartridges. Simply because I “expect” them to do the job... sometimes they don’t. Things just happen. I flinch, the deer moves, or the wind gusts. I’m just more careful, sometimes.
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 04-28-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Banned

Kansas legalized .22 Centerfires for deer a few years ago. All the naysayers, of which I was one, believed it to be a bad idea and expected all kinds of wounded deer, but I'm on public land a lot and haven't seen that.

I personally would use something with more bullet mass, but it'll surely do it with proper placement.

Boolit Grand Master

Never lived in a state where a .22 was legal for corn crunchers. Happily we have shot a pile of them using caliber .38 up through large round ball loads and they all only needed to be shot once.
    Just hit the right and they die but I still prefer to ere on the side of bigger holes are better....
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

In the "hayday" of the Swift, many thought it was just dandy for deer and even larger critters. I know several folks who hunted deer with them in the 50's. P.O. Ackley wrote of using the Swift to shoot feral donkeys.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

This topic seems to come up often on many sites. Yes, a 22 250 and many other small and fast calibers will kill a deer, but why when there are many better choices. I know most of us roll our own ammo, but when you buy ammo for 223, 22 250 etc. it generally says varmint ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    its called broadening your horizons
    why not is the question and as you see there are plenty
    that think this is a better choice
    who's choice is it we are supposed to follow?
    Accurate it will handle everything from crows to bucks and beyond
    whats not to like
    btw who buys ammo?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    This topic seems to come up often on many sites. Yes, a 22 250 and many other small and fast calibers will kill a deer, but why when there are many better choices. I know most of us roll our own ammo, but when you buy ammo for 223, 22 250 etc. it generally says varmint ammo.
    couldnt have said it better. Will it kill? Sure it will but why risk having an animal run off in pain.

Boolit Grand Master
    but its completely adequate to use a 30 carbine for the same deer?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

but its completely adequate to use a 30 carbine for the same deer?
    Adequate is the key terminology. Yes the 30 carbine is adequate with the proper bullet properly placed at a reasonable distance. I have only killed one deer with a 30 carbine and one shot did the trick at about 40 yards broadside with good tracking conditions. Tracking was not needed.

I have killed several deer with a .223 and maybe a dozen with 22-250/220 swifts. An explosive bullet into the lungs basically liquifies the lungs when using the 22-250 or the 220 Swift and 55 grain soft points. Very deadly with a broadside shot or neck shot, however, I would not use it on anything other than broadside shots.

They only real challenging recovers I've had were with a 270, 338, and a 375 H&H Mag. I was using bullets designed for much larger game and expansion was minimal at best. Had I been using the Swift none of the would have went 30 yards. Not claiming the the Swift is a better deer cartridge under the right circumstances it is more than adequate.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-26-2021 at 07:59 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

.22 centerfires utilizing 55 grain bullets have been legal for deer for 20 years or more in Oklahoma. For 90% plus of the deer taken in Oklahoma, a 220 Swift would have worked just fine.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast