Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: How I converter centerfire cases to rimfire

Boolit Master

How I converter centerfire cases to rimfire

There has been a lot of interest in the rimfire cases that I make from centerfire brass. Since I'm in the process of making 10 more .44 long rimfire, I made a two part video on the process I've come up with. Maybe this will inspire you to makes some of your own

https://youtu.be/MeQcElAGCBE

https://youtu.be/Fxz9s9kjflI

Good videos! Thanks for posting.

BTW: Are there any solutions for pin-fire cases?
    Last edited by pertnear; 04-24-2021 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added BTW...
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post

I don't know, I never looked into it. But I'm sure with a little ingenuity, it could be done.

Boolit Master

If you have access to a lathe you can make brass cases of any size. It may be possible to use brass tubing and then solder in a cup to close the end. Pin fire Shotshells of standard gauges can be made by swaging down the rim of a modern case and making a brass cup to fit the old primer hole. The case is then drilled for the pin, I use small brazing rod, and you use regular percussion caps for primers. The cap fits in the brass cup substituted for the original primer.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I'm really impressed with the ingenuity you had in keeping the old classic rifles on the firing line, not to mention your skill & movie making. The first thing I thought about was a book on my shelf by George C. Nonte, Jr. called "The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions" published in 1961. I got it down & skimmed through it again. Great book & very interesting. Of course it pales in comparison to a YouTube video with its B&W photos. When I first bought the book, I remember thinking how radical he was in soldering neck extensions, swaging down case heads & putting rims on the rimless! BTW: I just checked & copies are selling for a good amount of ca$h! Thanks again for posting & the helpful comments you received.
    Attachment 281881
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I'm really impressed with the ingenuity you had in keeping the old classic rifles on the firing line, not to mention your skill & movie making. The first thing I thought about was a book on my shelf by George C. Nonte, Jr. called "The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions" published in 1961. I got it down & skimmed through it again. Great book & very interesting. Of course it pales in comparison to a YouTube video with its B&W photos. When I first bought the book, I remember thinking how radical he was in soldering neck extensions, swaging down case heads & putting rims on the rimless! BTW: I just checked & copies are selling for a good amount of ca$h! Thanks again for posting & the helpful comments you received.
    Attachment 281881
    Thanks. I bought that book 30+ years ago. It's getting pretty dog eared!

I have a copy also, wish they would have shown alternative parent cases.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Did anyone looking at the #2 video catch what the man did at @ 3:05 mark???
    Now he's a true tool worker and after he tightened 1 side of the chuck he did the same for the remaning two sides.
    That ensures that run-out is at a bare minimum and not just one side of the chuck clamping up to the two (loose) opposide chucks.

Good work mate

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Did anyone looking at the #2 video catch what the man did at @ 3:05 mark???
    Now he's a true tool worker and after he tightened 1 side of the chuck he did the same for the remaning two sides.
    That ensures that run-out is at a bare minimum and not just one side of the chuck clamping up to the two (loose) opposide chucks.

Good work mate
    Thank you sir. Yes, it does make a difference.

Boolit Master

A follow up to the process of converting centerfire cases to rimfire. When making the new offset rimfire primer pocket, the hole is finished with a .224" diameter reamer. This gives the .225"- .226" diameter acorn blanks a press fit. This is good to minimize gas leakage when firing. Sometimes the acorns can be thumb pressed into place, other times it takes a bit more pressure to seat them.

After chewing on it a while, I came up with a way to seat the acorns in the loading press. First I rummaged through my dies to find one that the .44 long rimfire case would slip easily into, yet the rim would seat against the bottom. It turns our that a .45acp sizing die was perfect.

Next a flat topped ram was needed to press the acorn into the pocket, flush with the back of the case. Basically a replacement shellholder, but with a smooth flat top. The critical measurements were taken off an RCBS shellholder. Then over to the lathe to turn it out.

I just primed 20 cases and it worked great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210428_121406_copy_326x302.jpg   20210428_121458_copy_402x567.jpg   20210428_121755_copy_282x371.jpg   20210428_121835_copy_406x472.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Nice Work! I've seen these cases before. I think they used to made for something like 41RF? But it's nice you can make just about any with this.

Boolit Master

Yes, Dixie used to sell them in several sizes.

Boolit Master

I made a couple more tools to make reloading the rimfires easier - decapping stands in .44 and .50 cal. The fired case is set into the stand oriented so the fired .22 blank is over the small hole. Then a punch is used to knock it out. The stands are hollow underneath to collect the fired blanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44 and 50 rimfire decapping stands.jpg