WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Gator's Gas Checks

Gator's Gas Checks

I have just finished a run of H&G #45's and size/lube/gc them all....some 1500 of them.
    Thank the good Lord for a Star sizer!
    2 funny things happened in this run:
    1) I used some old unknown maker gas checks that I had for eons. I have no idea where they came from, how long I have had them, and who made them. Kind of shorter crimp side to them and they did not crimp quite as high on the shank as typical. But they worked. They actually took a bit more effort to properly seat before sizing.
    2) I had a coffee can FULL of about 10k of Gator's 44 gas checks that I bought YEARS ago. In my own obsessive/compulsive way, I label everything in my reloading area. In fact, the zip lock bags were marked purchased 2-15-07 Group Buy Cast Boolits @ $22/k. I'd buy more at that price. But the difference in the two makers was dramatic. Gator's checks had this pleasant little "pop" when you set them on the shank before sizing/lubing. Plus they were easier to set in place, had few that went sideways, and overall were simply better.
    What a pleasant couple of evenings and it reminded me of how good Gator's Gas Checks are.
    Next up is about 1000 H&G # 237's (200gr 44 swc gc). I tested a few and did not even have to change the settings on the Star. My good luck!
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 04-24-2021 at 09:21 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I have got myself some Gators some years ago that the one that makes them ,had a deal that you buy so many that you get a discount and I got more then I needed for down the line later that I will not have to think about need any and happy with them and they were less then what it cost for Hornady .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I tried Lyman and Hornady many years ago and struggled with them. Asking around I discovered Gators and have been very satisfied. I am more concerned with ease of application than cost. Life has enough problems. I reload to enjoy my free time, not to make work out of it.

I started off with Lyman and then went to Hornady and now I stay with Gators .For what the price was and how they are .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Gator make the best checks money can buy in my view. Regards Stephen

Just signed up for Sage's Outdoors and ordered some copper checks. Thanks for the info.

Banned
    I shoot rifle benchrest, and used Hornady checks. Never liked the dimple in the bottom. Worked like crazy to get rid if the dimples. Bought Sage's gator checks, no issue! No dimple, they seat flat, stay flat. That's what it's all about.

Boolit Master
    I too have had good results with Gator checks. Quality product.

Sages just got in a small quantity of gator in a few calibers. Got some 22, 6.5 and 38 calibers ordered last night.

Boolit Master
    few years back i got a 338 lee mold. no check would fit, sent a boolit in, and got 1000 that fit.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys. Just pulled the trigger on 5K x 223 caliber Gator copper GC's at Sage's.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I have a monster supply of 30 cal Gator checks from our group buy. Last week I ordered some 32 cal (32 Win Special) from Sage. Good products.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    So do most people stay clear of the Hornady 22 Gas checks then?

Boolit Master
    never had a problem with hornady checks use 22/357/308 .never had a problem with gator checks either.