Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Props to 4D Reamer Rentals

Props to 4D Reamer Rentals

I have always bought reamers as needed, but at 76 years old and getting very arthritic, I'm not going to be doing serious gunsmithing much longer.

So a couple of weeks ago I fell into an early Stevens Model 44 that was not chambered .25-20 Stevens. Bubba had had the barrel professionaly relined and chambered .25-20 WCF. That's the good part, But he then badly botched fitting the barrel to the action. (.020" of excess headspace? No problem.) Setting the barrel back was Job One. Not having any future interest in the WCF cartridge, (even if I were younger) renting a reamer to restore the chamber was justified.

Ordered the reamer from the 4D web site. It was shipped in just under 48 hours, via USPS Priority Mail. Arrived here fresh and sharp, did the job perfectly. Returned it yesterday. Cost was $35 plus shipping. I will happily rent from 4D again if the need arises.

---------------------

nb: Chambering a Model 44 for the WCF cartridge is a bad idea, generally speaking. Factory WCF ammo is frequently loaded to double the pressure that the old Stevens can stand without "shooting loose". . I of course load my own, so as long as the gun is mine it will be in no danger.

And lucky me! I discovered that I have 100 new Winchester cases! Had thought I had sold them years ago. Indeed they were all boxed up for shipment, but I musta never got a round tuit. Serendipity.
    Cognitive Dissident

Good to know. Thank you.

Banned
    If you scroll down a bit here, there is a thread slamming 4D. I've never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    If you scroll down a bit here, there is a thread slamming 4D. I've never had an issue.
    Right. Consider this a countervailing argument. 4D didn't deserve that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Glad you got a satisfactory experience with them.

I was VERY factual in slamming 4D, they earned the comments I left.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I’m not a high-volume renter, but I’ve rented reamers from White Rock, Shawnie Tools, Reamerrentals and CH-4D, and have only had less than complete satisfaction once.

That was in the rental of a .40-90 Sharps Straight reamer. I had bought Bertram cases of the original dimensions and the reamer I rented was for the mutant .40-90 Shiloh Sharps Straight, made from the .405 Winchester basic case, designated in the catalog as .40-90 Sharps Straight. I couldn’t fault them on the mixup, because back then, that was the chamber you got if you ordered a replica rifle in that caliber. I’d accumulated a bunch of original pattern cases and wanted to use them, and was probably a market of one individual.

I recently sold a reamer that I had made, used once, sat around for decades, never to be used again, and sold at a discount larger than the cost of renting (if the reamer had been available for renting, which it wasn’t). Even if fallible, overworked human beings are running them, I’m grateful that somebody came up with the idea of a reamer rental service.