Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best powder for 62 - 68 gr. .223 bullets?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    Varget or RL15.
    ^^^ This! ^^^
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy

Any of the previously mentioned powders will work very well for heavy 223 Rem/5.56 loads. I'll add IMR 4166, IMR 4064, Power Pro Varmint, AR Comp, VV140, and even BL-C2(a little too slow). Although Varget works well, it is a tick slow in burn rate to maximize efficiency in the 223 case. I've had my best accuracy and velocity with 8208 and VV135. I too am a High-power shooter and have fired and tested a LOT of load combinations. With 68-77 gr bullets 8208 is my favorite, with RL15 a close second.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I really like AA2520 for heavy bullets in the 223 as well as lots of other calibers. Shooters World Match Rifle is supposedly the same Lovex powder although I have heard that AA2520 is no longer made by them but it is as identical for most practical purposes. (No end of rumors...) I bought lots of it before the sillyness so I better like it. I've used Re-15 and Varget a lot too. In my experience, Re-15 was slightly more accurate and Varget was a bit less temperature sensitive, YMMV Both were great powders.

Boolit Master

Beware of 748 in hot weather, because it has given me pressure spikes. In cool weather, I have used a lot of 748 in the .223 with 52 grain bullets, with excellent results, but not with heavier bullets.

Varget is the Hodgdon short grain equivalent of 4064. I have gotten excellent results with 4064-speed powders in the .308 and .30-'06, but just OK results with the .223.

In the .223 I have always gotten good results with Reloader 15 and jacketed bullets, especially in the 69 and 80 grain class.

I used to shoot a lot of 4895 in the .223, but switched to Reloader 15 when 4895 became unavailable, and never switched back.

Long ago I shot a lot of cast in a .223 AR15, and I used 4198.

Boolit Bub
    I use variety and 4064 with the 69gr bullets.

Varget is good but try to find some. IMR 4166 is about as close as it get performance wise and is temp stable. In my LGS it shows up fairly regularly but Varget is a fond memory. My CZ 527 223 loves BL-c2 but it is dirty. WW748 is not quite as dirty and both shoot well with 69gr Sierra MatchKings. I use CCI 450 mag primers with BL-c2 and 748 but TAC gets standard primers.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12