RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Another KUDOS to Ruger customer service.

Boolit Master

Another KUDOS to Ruger customer service.

I have a Ruger SR22 pistol I bought last year for plinking. From the box, it functioned flawlessly. After a few months, and intermitantly, it started to fail to extract the fired case. Then after more range time, it progressively became a common occurance until it became just about every shot. I called Ruger, and a very nice Lady answered. I told her the issue with the pistol, and ask about a mailing label. That Lady did not even hesitate. She took my information and the label was on my phone within minutes. Along with the mailing label, there was a form to fill out as to what the issue was. I filled out the form, boxed up the pistol and off to Fedx. I received a email a couple days later, telling me the pistol had been received. In a week, the Fedx driver was at my front door with the pistol. I took the pistol to the range earlier this week to try it out. After over 100 rounds of Winchester hp's, and CCI hp's, there was not one failure. Thank you Ruger for your very timely response, return time and a perfect repair job.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Nice to hear Ruger has great customer service .
    It's irritating to have a gun not work but they make the fix very painless .

Boolit Master
    Great to hear!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Sad to see another report of a Ruger failure.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Idaho45guy
    I've had two handguns from Ruger, and three rifles. I've known many people that have, and have owned Rugers handguns and rifles. I do believe that Ruger manufactures some of the best and economical firearms in the world. That's not to say that there aren't finer firearms manufactured in the world, but IMHO, I don't think a anyone could call any Ruger firearm as second rate. All firearms manufacturers have firearms that have had failures. It's a mechanical certainty. Understand sir, I'm not arguing the fact of your statement, just leveling the playing field.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Idaho45guy
    I've had two handguns from Ruger, and three rifles. I've known many people that have, and have owned Rugers handguns and rifles. I do believe that Ruger manufactures some of the best and economical firearms in the world. That's not to say that there aren't finer firearms manufactured in the world, but IMHO, I don't think a anyone could call any Ruger firearm as second rate. All firearms manufacturers have firearms that have had failures. It's a mechanical certainty. Understand sir, I'm not arguing the fact of your statement, just leveling the playing field.
    I currently have two Ruger handguns; a Blackhawk Bisley and a 22/45 Lite. I also have two Ruger rifles; a 10/22 and an M77, and I just sold the M77 on Gunbroker.

I appreciate and use my firearms and don't make excuses for them or shy away from facts and reality. The finishes and manufacturing of most Ruger firearms is indeed second rate. That is just reality. Not everyone has the ability to discern different grades of machining and finishing. Rugers are perfect for them. They are solid and reliable firearms, if not a bit crude and have a somewhat higher rate of defects from the factory, it seems.

I'm replacing the old M77 with a cheaper and cruder Ruger; a Predator rifle in .308. One will be perfect as a lighter brush-beating rifle.

I never said I didn't like Rugers. I do very much. I just don't pretend that they are something they are not.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm sending my PC carbine back for poor accuracy, hopefully my experience will be just as good.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Ferguson, I hope so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I'm sending my PC carbine back for poor accuracy, hopefully my experience will be just as good.
    I'm going to bet they tell ya it's in spec.

It's not a bench rest gun.

I currently own over a dozen and a half Ruger firearms. Not one has given me a problem.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I sent a Charter Arms revolver back to the factory for not hitting where I aimed at 10 yards. They told me it was within spec. Only problem was, it wasn't within my spec.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Yeah, I sent a Charter Arms revolver back to the factory for not hitting where I aimed at 10 yards. They told me it was within spec. Only problem was, it wasn't within my spec.
    Yep same thing happened to me with a S&W Shield Performance Center model. 12" groups at 25 yards and a lump on the barrel. Sent it back and two months later, it came back with a new barrel and would only do 8" at 25 yards. S&W said that was within spec. Sold it and bought an XDS that would do 1 3/4" groups at 25 yards.

Just ordered a Ruger Predator rifle in .308 and have already been on YouTube seeing how to smooth the action and fix the typical issues they have from the factory.

Banned
    During the Obama years, Ruger set successive goals of selling 1 million then 2 million guns. This was tied to a NRA funding pledge.
    The huge production goals on top of a huge demand, resulted in a reduction in quality control. Ruger seems to have held their warrantee repairs and customer service to a high standard but seems to have prioritized production goals over quality.

Ruger is not alone in the current frenzy to meet the demand for guns. In addition to the huge production numbers, there's also the factor of price point. All of the manufacturers are looking for ways to get costs down. Some methods to reduce production cost also reduce quality and some methods do not harm quality.
    Ruger has a long history of finding ways to reduce costs. Using cast steel parts instead of forgings, finding alternative materials, cost saving production techniques and simplified designs are just some of the methods employed by Ruger to hold costs down.

The newest Ruger I currently own was made in 1990 but I've owned newer models in the past. I not going to say Ruger's quality has remained as high as it was in the past, but I will say that quality is a moving target for ALL manufacturers.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-25-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem with Rugers Customer Service is that while it's excellent, far too often it is necessary.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I'm going to bet they tell ya it's in spec.

It's not a bench rest gun.

I currently own over a dozen and a half Ruger firearms. Not one has given me a problem.
    If that is the case, off to Gunbroker it goes to fund a .357 lever action!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

If that is the case, off to Gunbroker it goes to fund a .357 lever action!
    Expecting a blowback takedown carbine in 9mm to shoot like a 357 Mag lever gun is nuts.

You're comparing apples and watermelons.
    NRA Benefactor.

What I am hoping to accomplish with the PC carbine is 2" groups at 50 yards, which seems quite reasonable to me. As is, my carbine is making very scattered 4" groups with quality factory FMJ ammo and all over the dang place with boolit loads that my pistols love. If it doesn't work out, moving up to a lever action .357 seems like a prudent move as I have lots of experience with them and already have a sweet JM Marlin 1894. Wish the 77-357 wasn't so frickin' spendy!

Boolit Master

What I am hoping to accomplish with the PC carbine is 2" groups at 50 yards, which seems quite reasonable to me. As is, my carbine is making very scattered 4" groups with quality factory FMJ ammo and all over the dang place with boolit loads that my pistols love. If it doesn't work out, moving up to a lever action .357 seems like a prudent move as I have lots of experience with them and already have a sweet JM Marlin 1894. Wish the 77-357 wasn't so frickin' spendy!
    If it's shooting 4" groups with factory ammo and all over the place with your loads I'd suspect your loads before a bad barrel.

How many different loads did you try? How many different boolits?

When I was doing my 9mm work up I ended up with over 20 different 9mm molds. I used at least three powders per boolit, and at least two different charges per boolit.

I loaded somewhere in the area of 10,000 test rounds of 9mm. I've got two and a half 50 cal ammo cans full of the extra test rounds. I wanted loads that functioned 100% in every gun and shot well in them too.

When it was all done I settled on two molds. The 125 gr round nose flat point with no lube groove from MP and NOE ELCO boolit. I've got four really decent working loads with the MP boolit and three with the NOE boolit. I recently added a MP 115 gr RN mold. It shoots well in everything but my Ruger PCC and PC Charger. In those two guns it has feeding problems.

Long story short, if ya only tried one boolit then how do you deduce it's the gun???
    NRA Benefactor.