Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Remington ammo being made again?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    So I know the brands-components and names of various Remington products have been bought by others like Ruger acquired Marlin .
    In my local store the other day I was surprised to see more ammo than usual on the shelf, .243, 308 .22 and more 12 and 20 gauge offerings than I’ve seen in a while.
    What caught my eye was Remington thunderbolts in bulk 500 round loose packs, and even more surprising is it was around $9 per 500. I don’t remember thunderduds coming in loose 500 round bulk- in 500 round bulk in individual 50 round boxes yes.
    All one lot number on the packs I bought . Have a new 22 to break in and didn’t want to use my CCIs to sight in and let my daughter and nephew blast all they want so I figured I’d try the “new” thunderbolts. And this wasn’t a gun shop but a box store so probly not “new” “old” stock someone sold or traded in like may happen at a real gun shop.
    Interested to here If anyone else has seen Remington ammo being delivered by the new owners? And if it’s better or at least as “good” as the old thunderduds.
    I’ll report back when I e had a chance to run some.
    I do remember as a teenager thunderbolts being cheap and easy to get at local hardware store and we shot lots of them killing rats coons woodchucks and such on the farm, I don’t remember them being junk back then but the last few years they’ve been terrible in my experience- dirty inconsistent and a few duds per box. I’m hopping for better with these.
    I got an email a few days ago that said they were back in business producing ammo. I thought. Maybe I dreamed it, as I can't find it now.

Boolit Man
    I was at a LGS the other week and they had just gotten a case of Remington range 9mm. I had to really look at it as I didn’t know they were back up and running. They had them for $26/box of 50. It’s been the cheapest I’ve seen anywhere locally. Only one other place has had any instock and it was $35.

Boolit Master

Hope they bring back the subsonic. It worked well - liked it for the grandson's shooting as it was so quiet that I could let him shoot w/o muffs so he would hear instructions .

Boolit Buddy
    last visit to the local gunshop, there were maybe 25 boxes of Remington bulk 22lr on the shelf. given the state of things I assume there are newly made. did not ask a price, as I have more .22lr than I will ever need, but last time bulk showed up there, the price was like normal a couple of years ago.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    Can’t remember how long ago but those 500 rd thunder duds and Rem 325 pks were $13.95 and $15.95 at Wally World.
    I do think the thunder bolts were dirty and a few (<15) duds per box.

Mike

I found a nice box of .243 at Wallyworld today in the middle of the city

Boolit Buddy
    We picked up three bricks of Remington Thunderbolts last week at chinamart.
    Cargo

Boolit Man
    I’ve never had very good luck with thunderbolts and wouldn’t buy any of them. I understand get what you can get right now but man they were junk with not firing.

Any of you try the new ones yet? Are they any better?

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    This is NOT related to the present thread or situation, but......it concerns Remington .22 ammo that was packed in those little yellow plastic boxes with the slide out tray.

Many moons ago....maybe 1982 or so....I bought a full case of Remington .22's from our local hardware store. Almost every one of those blasted things refused to extract from my Remington 514 single shot, which I've owned since childhood. An examination of a fired case showed the rim to be "blown out" to an almost comical balloon shape. After diagnosing everything, it turns out that the case material was so thin (cheap) that the rim expanded in the extractor slot, and the extractor hook simply rode over the rim......leaving the case in the chamber and a mystified owner.

So, I have to ask myself, which is worse........a round that doesn't extract, or one that just won't go "bang"? Hopefully, that problem has been rectified since I've shunned Remington ammo for years.

Boolit Master
    Don't know if this is a reliable source, but: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ck-full-swing/

I have a 514. Great little rifle but it won't extract anything. I have to keep a knife on the bench to pull the shells out.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

It's good to see Remington is back online producing ammunition. I'm sure more than a few people are happy to find anything at this point and time. It's a rare occasion for me to purchase factory ammunition. After all, this site is dedicated to making our own, right?

Thunderbolt .22's. It's been many years since I've used them. I do remember a time 40 years ago they suited my purposes just fine. Of course over the years, I tried new things and different rimfire .22 rimfire ammunition by various makers. Let's hope the newer Thunderbolts are more reliable than some have experienced.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    This is NOT related to the present thread or situation, but......it concerns Remington .22 ammo that was packed in those little yellow plastic boxes with the slide out tray.

Many moons ago....maybe 1982 or so....I bought a full case of Remington .22's from our local hardware store. Almost every one of those blasted things refused to extract from my Remington 514 single shot, which I've owned since childhood. An examination of a fired case showed the rim to be "blown out" to an almost comical balloon shape. After diagnosing everything, it turns out that the case material was so thin (cheap) that the rim expanded in the extractor slot, and the extractor hook simply rode over the rim......leaving the case in the chamber and a mystified owner.

So, I have to ask myself, which is worse........a round that doesn't extract, or one that just won't go "bang"? Hopefully, that problem has been rectified since I've shunned Remington ammo for years.
    I think 100% the Remington brass was thinner - I preferred 'em for swaging 53 gr. bullets , the thin jackets made 'em very frangible on impact . A few groundhogs looked like they swallowed a baseball and it almost came out ! CCI and Federal were thicker . Liked the Winchester Super X just because the finished bullet had that "X" on the base !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by myg30 View Post
    Can’t remember how long ago but those 500 rd thunder duds and Rem 325 pks were $13.95 and $15.95 at Wally World.
    I do think the thunder bolts were dirty and a few (<15) duds per box.

Mike
    95 per hundred worked but from none available = 100% did not fire. Look at the bright side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12