Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: eras gone Dragoon .44 260 grain bullet

Red face eras gone Dragoon .44 260 grain bullet

Is anyone here casting these bullets and offering them for sale? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by 22coyote; 04-26-2021 at 03:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    I suggest you ask Mark Hubbs at Eras Gone to see if anyone is selling them. He would know.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have the mold - I got it to use in my Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon that I recently purchased. I won't be casting with it for probably a month or so as I have too many irons in the fire to take care of first.

I'm a bit confused when you ask about having "any luck" with the mold. I have Eras Gone .36 Colt, .44 Johnson and Dow and the .50 Smith Carbine molds - all cast very well. The Dragoon boolit, like the .36 and .44 molds they offer, are all "heeled" boolits due to the original designs - no problems or tricks in casting a heeled boolit. I cast .375 heeled boolits for us in my '58 Remington Navies using Old West molds as well and never had an issues in pouring them.

As far as performance of the Dragoon Eras Gone boolit - go to the site and take a look at some of the videos. It's like any other pistol/boolit combination. You have to work with your particular Dragoon, experiment with loads and see what shoots best. If you have any questions, I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer them.

The Brass Gone molds are Lee blocks and handles. Take care of them and they will last you many, many years. Realize that these are "custom molds" made for Eras Gone - and like all "speciality molds" that are made in limited runs - the price is higher. However, I don't feel that they are overpriced when compared to having one mold special cut for the design. I'm very happy with the Eras Gone molds I have - they cast great and it's nice to have some original style boolits to shoot as opposed to the normal round ball or a newer design conical such as Lee makes for the C & B revolvers. In comparison to what new standard Lee molds are selling for on feabay and other sites right now, his prices for a speciality mold like he offers for the various copies of the original boolits is a bargain.

Like everything else - the last time I looked EG was pretty much out of molds and awaiting them - so if it is out of stock - keep checking and when he shows them in stock, don't spend a lot of time hesitating if you want one.

Boolit Master
    Ditto on the above.

Boolit Master
    Think about this. Lead is $3.20/lb. There are 7000gr to the pound. Each bullet is 260gr so there are 27 bullets/lb.
    At $3.20/lb, each bullet costs $0.12. That's just lead. To set up and cast 100 bullets, tear down, and clean up is about 2 hours. At $15/hr wage which is CHEAP labor, add $30 to the cost of 100 bullets. So we have $12 cost of lead, $30 labor, $5 amortized cost of mold, $12 shipping and handling, and you end up with $60/hundred bullets. That's bare bones. For QUALITY hand made bullets and my time, I would charge $75/hundred shipped. That's IF I was to get into this cottage industry and I have no plans to. Unless one is set to cast on an industrial scale or a small business scale, it just doesn't make sense.

Makes sense to just get a mold and get to casting if you are thinking of shooting more than a hundred of these bullets. Those who shoot these bullets are a very small niche market. Most of us cast already and Eras Gone Molds has brought this mold to market for the weirdos out there.