Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Got My Father's Day Gift Early-- .30 cal Hatsan Blitz

Boolit Mold

Got My Father's Day Gift Early-- .30 cal Hatsan Blitz

After almost 45 years of marriage, the wife has pretty much given up on trying to surprise me with gifts... she asks me what I want, then buys it for me...

Anyway, I've been wanting a semi-auto airgun for a while, and finally found a refurbished Hatsan Blitz a couple hundred dollars off retail. It was in .30 cal, which I wanted, seeing as I already have airguns (rifle and pistol) in numerous calibers including .177, .22, .25, and .35.

Anyway, it arrived to day. I filled the tank, filled the magazines and took her out to see how she shoots. Unbeknownst to me the selector was on Full Auto, so I popped off 5 rounds before I realized what happened. This thing cycles very fast--approx. 1,000 rounds/minute...

Anyway, shooting with iron sights and almost 70 year old eyes it did pretty good. I included some pics below including some of a couple shots into 1" hardwood. It was shot at quite an angle and the pellet curved perpendicular to the edge of the board, or it would have at least broken the back out.

The magazine holds 16 rounds... pellet weights are in the 45+grain weight... the ones I used were 48.6 grains.

Now the problem is... this is so much fun to shoot that I'll go through pellets like crazy.

Has anyone else cast slugs for the Blitz or any of the other Hatsan rifles. Slugs for other guns may not work, especially if they're over approx. 1/2 inch or so due to the width of the magazine.

Anyway, I'm curious what types of cast boolits others have used in .30 cal --actual .300", not .308" though I can size them down if need be.

Regards,

Smitty
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hatsan Blitz 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	281792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hatsan Blitz 2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	281793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 cal Pellets.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	281794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wood Penetration.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	281795

Boolit Master

You could take a bore riding design .308 mold (base pour) mill off the top of the blocks, and have a short .300 diameter mold.
    Thank you Mrs. Utah Smitty for setting a good example!
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

NOE makes several 30 cal pellet molds. Just checked and it appears they are currently out of stock for most of them.

Boolit Mold
    "You could take a bore riding design .308 mold (base pour) mill off the top of the blocks, and have a short .300 diameter mold.
    Thank you Mrs. Utah Smitty for setting a good example! "

Thanks, Clod Hopper... I've thought of doing that, but airguns designed for shooting pellets can be real temperamental when it comes to shooting slugs. I was hoping to find someone that had the same gun and find out what had worked for them.

I went to the NOE Molds site, but 90% of his airgun molds are sold out... darn!!

Anyway, thanks again.

Smitty

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Killer View Post
    NOE makes several 30 cal pellet molds. Just checked and it appears they are currently out of stock for most of them.
    Yeah, I went to their site, and the only thing in .30 cal for air rifles that wasn't sold out was a 69 grain BT slug... I like the design, but it's heavier than I wanted to use... most pellets for the .30 cal are in the 45-55 gr range.

Smitty

On a pellet gun I would stick with commercially produced pellets.
    That is just me, and I tend to change my mind sometimes.
    Pellets seem pretty reasonable compared to firearm ammunition.

Boolit Master

I shoot Nielsen slugs in a .177 cal raptor.
    https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/collections/30-cal
    Keep checking on them for slugs you want to try. You aren't out as much time just buying a box and seeing how they shoot.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    30 cal pellets border on unreasonable price wise. I shot a Hatsan carnivore PCP. I dont run through the pellets you do.

If I had your gun I would wait and buy a pellet mold from NOE when avalible.

Even if they are not quite as accurrate it wouldnt make a lot of difference when you put 5 pellets on target with every trigger pull!

Boolit Mold
    The smaller caliber pellets--.177 and .22 are still pretty reasonable if you shoot Crosman Premiers, etc. The larger bore ones are increasing in price continually. You'll pay $15-$20 for a tin of 100 pellets in .357. .30 cal is a little cheaper, but they still cost you 12 cents + per shot.

I don't see the situation getting any better as a previous administration helped close down the last production sized lead smelter in the country due to environmental pressure. I have some soft lead and some wheelweights stockpiled so it's getting time I start making my own pellets-- I've been casting bullets for over 20 years so it'll be nothing new.

Smitty

Boolit Bub
    That Hartsan Blitz looks awesome!

https://youtu.be/ZoeIoOo9QFE