RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-100 Wesson no.1 long range.

Boolit Buddy
    Bent Ramrod. Glenn only made a couple of barrels for himself and Steve Earle makes the actions.

The assorted people involved in making your Wesson is about as fine a group of Guild gunsmiths as there is today. Glenn Fewless is one of the best in the world these days. The late Ken Hurst was one of America's finest engravers. Steve Earle's Wesson actions are also extremely high quality. I'm sure if you contacted Glenn Fewless he could tell you who did the stocks if he didn't do them.
    The finish on the receiver is likely Metalife as Ken was a big fan of their process on guns he engraved. The gap between forearm and action is not bad workmanship, but rather intentional. A tiny gap was done on purpose as the forearm not touching the action makes a more accurate shooting rifle on single shots with two piece stocks.
    Gorgeous rifle, with fantastic provenance in it's builders.

Very cool! Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Will you post a picture of your gun and a pic of sight on the gun
    The base does gave a curve to it

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the pictures. That sight would be fine with me. I just think the Kelley would look out of place with the bronze adjustment knobs.

Boolit Master
    Im thinking about putting a sight on it and buying a Lee Shaver 22lr adapter. I have a couple other guns I could use it in also.

Its going to be a little bit of a chore for me to start loading black powder. I may wait until later this summer for that. Im doing some trainning for my job at work. We are 24hrs a day and im moving my schedule a lot right now. Keeping me from doing everything I need to do around the house.
    Last edited by GARD72977; 04-25-2021 at 10:32 AM.

You might find that the Wesson action is not the most user friendly action going. Little more labor intensive. Fun gun but in a fast moving match, mistakes can be made pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by semtav View Post
    You might find that the Wesson action is not the most user friendly action going. Little more labor intensive. Fun gun but in a fast moving match, mistakes can be made pretty easily.
    If guys can shoot a Sharps 74 without a problem, I can't see how a Wesson would be a problem? I have to really keep my mind on returning the '74 Sharps to half cock prior to opening, and then after loading pull it to full cock to fire. The Wesson has fewer steps I believe.

I consider the Wesson to have all the steps the Shiloh does plus, to drop the block you have to push the button to release the lever-first extra step, then to close the action you have to push the button in to close. (You don't want to slam it shut) - second extra step, then you have to verify it is in fact locked after shutting it. ( Failure to do do results in the block dropping when fired) - 3rd extra step. Plus the hammer is taller and the tunnel is narrower requiring just a little more time to get the shell in and out .

Like I said, it is a fun rifle to shoot but takes a lot more practice to shoot quickly

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Pushing the release as you open the lever is pretty automatic to me. It's situated where you really push it as you push to open the lever. Haven't shot one a lot, but shot a friend's and never was told to push the button on closing? He simply closes the lever and it latches, so I did the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12