RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: Keep or Sell the 223 Remington?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Reading this made me get out and shoot my 94’ NEF varmint 223 today. I mounted up a tasco sportsman 6-24 that Tasco sent me by mistake and told me to keep it. I sighted it in with my 60 grain vmax and 25 grains of benchmark pet load. I was aiming for the number “10” in the 10x that was about the size of a pencil eraser for sight in. The 3rd shot and 2nd adjustment I completely covered the “10” I was aiming at with a bullet hole. I moved out to 200 yards figuring I would be a couple inches low. First shot was 3/4” high of dead center and the next was a half inch low of center. Man it’s a fun little rifle. The trigger is horrible! It has to be a good 6/7 pounds. I’ll have to figure out a way lighten it. I’m sure it will shoot better with a light trigger.

I’ve no idea how many guns I’ve owned. The most was just under 400 in 1980. The last few years a little more than half that. I went through different phases. I kept my favorite hunting rifles, handguns and shotguns. Also guns that were heirlooms or gifts. I had all the stuff that is big deal now. Pythons, Peacemakers, Lugers, Winchester Lever Actions, S&W Schoefield, ect. name it and I probably had it. I could never had all them unless I sold and traded. Now thinning way down to only heirlooms.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Everyone has a different situation. The only person the OP has to justify his decision to is himself. Keep it or sell it, it's up to you. I'm getting a little older and I don't have anyone to pass my collection to when I'm no longer in the picture. I'm thinking of selling some of mine.
    thats for sure. most dont have 50 guns let alone a 100 and id bet many here are under a dozen. Big differnce if i only had 10 guns. i wouldnt part with one to get another in that case either because id be done to bare bones to have guns i NEED for every purpose. But when you have 8 9mm handguns or 4 3006s and 20 some other bolt guns they become tools not children.

Boolit Master
    And it depends on what purposes you have guns for.

I don't hunt so I keep my target rifles and self defense pistols. That's 5. Then a few heirlooms so 4 more.

And, yes, if push came to shove, I have guns that I could survive on, from a bird gun to big game. And an "assault" rifle.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I would keep a 223R/5.56 if for no other reason it is never a mistake to have a rifle chambered for the current service round.

Banned

A bolt action .223 is simply too useful, versatile and efficient to not have at least one around.

Boolit Master

Don't want it sell it. I don't get the fix of I never sell a gun. I sell what I do not want after using it till I am not interested in it. I then use the money to buy what I am now interested in. It is just a piece of metal and wood or plastic.

After running my shop for 15 years I saw many folks buying to keep at the expense of their family using the I am keeping it as an investment for my families welfare to hand down. "I never sell a gun." Right all emotion to me.

Truly there are better investments.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    A bolt action .223 is simply too useful, versatile and efficient to not have at least one around.
    I can say the same about any number of calibers. From the .22LR to the .30-06.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I would keep a 223R/5.56 if for no other reason it is never a mistake to have a rifle chambered for the current service round.
    couldnt agree more

Do what ever you want to but I just sold a stainless Ruger MK II in 223 and a week later I was kicking my butt for doing it. I did, however, buy a CZ 527 in .223 and so far it seems ok but that Ruger would still be in my safe if I wasn't such a compulsive gun swapper. Let the fever subside before you sell that rifle.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I think a 223 rifle would be the last gun to get rid of in my world (besides a trusty .44 revolver like my 629 MG) but one let go by someone else could just end up in my hands ...... so either way, it’s a win!

VIVA .223/5.56!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    That's how I feel about it. A .223 bolt gun will do an awful lot and can substitute for a larger gun with good shot placement and the right bullet.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    LOL!

I was thinking bolt gun as I typed but that did not get added to my last post here!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Reading this again makes me want to sell my .223 bolt gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
    ^^^^This! If you don't need cash, I would not be selling any firearms and especially now.
    If the worse happens, that gun is better currency than silver or gold.

You are looking at your .223 all wrong. In todays world it is not a "Varmint Caliber" (unless you consider Liberals to be Varmints like I do!!!)

You need to look at it as a "Defensive/Offensive" round.

There is a very real possibility that there will be an Armed Conflict in this country in our lifetimes. Age and Location will not make any one exempt from the fight, and you will need to be well armed. Why do you think they want AR's Banned, and why do you think they are selling so many of them right now? Democrats maybe insane, but they are NOT Stupid! and we need to understand that.

The only other course of action I would consider valid for you, is to sell your gun and buy an AR, AK, Mini 14 or Mini 30.. If you got the AK or Mini 30 you could shoot cast boolits easily, and you'll need lots of them to feed the beast.. .223's not so much.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    2 legged coyotes, 3 legged and four!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    You are looking at your .223 all wrong. In todays world it is not a "Varmint Caliber" (unless you consider Liberals to be Varmints like I do!!!)

You need to look at it as a "Defensive/Offensive" round.
    Nope. It is merely another rifle I own. A good lever action, or my Garand, are sufficient for self protection until I can get to a real armory and get my hands on a cannon.

Boolit Master
    A totally different answer from a totally different perspective. I have two 22-250 rifles, no 223s. I don't live in the woods, but on the prairie. If I had a 223 (any style) I didn't use, I'd get a 20 Practical barrel and have a less expensive almost 204 Ruger.

Boolit Master
    A good 20 something makes a great addition to a pair of .22-250s cooling off! I missed a 20 practical Savage takeoff barrel by a whisker on the internet but a friend set me up in once fired .204 brass to the point I forgot about it.

But I am still hanging onto my stable of .223s!

Three44s

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast