Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoked shad??? Caught a Gizzard shad 4oz under the the WI record yesterday...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Smoked shad??? Caught a Gizzard shad 4oz under the the WI record yesterday...

I figured I’d try smoking it. Any other suggestions?

Here it is next to a 15.25” Walleye.

I thought it was a mooneye at first and got all excited that I broke the WI 2 pound 6.6oz record. Then I googled it and realized it was a gizzard shad and 4.26 oz light of the new record. Oh well, it put up one heck of a fight! It’s been a good week. I caught a dandy walleye the other day a hair over 7 pounds as well.

Good catch! Can't help you, I've never had either walleye or shad.

Boolit Master

I'd be proud of both fish!

I learned to appreciate grilled shad in Japan. It's a very oily fish as its a member of the herring family so if you do it that way, you may find it either too strong or you'll love it. I like it with white rice and some good soy sauces but you may like it with lemon and bacon like this recipe from the folks in Connecticut who enjoy Atlantic Shad.
    https://www.courant.com/hc-xpm-2012-...502-story.html
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Bub
    That thing is a MONSTER. Congrats.

I get to see thousands of dead shad most springs along the shores of lake erie and I have never seen one near that size.
    If you smoke it and feel it is too strong, mix it with some cream cheese and spread it on crackers.

Boolit Grand Master

How about a Taxidermy job ... that rascal is big and would look good on the wall !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Walleye is the best eating fish. I wish we had some around here. Spent some time in South Dakota one year after Geese and Pheasant around Pierre, pronounced pier,. Ate Walleye for dinner at the hotel. Walleye appetizers everywhere., even Walleye sandwiches for lunch. The whole group of us from Texas would sit down to eat wherever and ask what was the Walleye specialty. All caught fresh from the Missouri River.

Moderator Emeritus

I imagine it will be similar to smoked carp... greasy but tasty as a snack.

Catfish love fresh shad guts. They are mainly use for cut bait for catfish from what I know they are strong. The Walleye is the best of the 2 to eat .I caught both on the Mississippi River . If you do not like how the shad is to eat could use it for coon bait if want to. I have not ate any gizzard shad . here is a link for the search I did on gizzard shad https://www.google.com/search?q=eati...4dUDCA8&uact=5
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Super Moderator

I think that just about any fish would be tasty when smoked. I love smoked fish!

Boolit Master
    IIRC the Dead Meat show did an episode on cooking shad. It might be somewhere on the intwebs.

I'm on a roll. The bite literally shut down today. The only thing I caught was whopper 17" white Bass. It's my personal biggest at just under 3 pounds. I filleted it up.

Banned

I caught a gizzard shad close to that size one, snagged it actually. Never thought of eating one. I have smoked carp and buffalo and that makes for good eating.

Those golden eys are a lot of fun. Most of the year you can count on catching them but the house with worms under a bobber, not good for anything, but fun to catch. I caught one of them that was huge once, had no idea at the time Kansas kept records on them, but the one I caught may well have broken it if I'd checked.

Moderator Emeritus

We saw smoked Goldeye on the menu in Manitoba. That's all I got.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Love Walleye!! Grandad used to go to Minnesota during the Summer to fish for walleye. He made a big mistake, making me try walleye instead of the Hamburger I would order, after that, we had to catch a lot more fish to have a decent fish fry as I could eat faster than the others. I think he regretted introducing a 16 yr old to his favorite fish!!

Moderator Emeritus

Northern pike is even better than walleye but it MUST be cleaned right. I fold the filet over on itself and scrub it against itself under running water, do this for both sides. Removes all the slime and blood from the filet, they give northern pike that fishy flavor many hate. I don't bother removing the Y bones. Just pick them out as I eat!

Mary, I agree! I made the walleye in the photo next to the shad along with a 17” huge white bass. The white bass fillets tasted way better and were firmer. I made some Northern the day before yesterday and also way better then the walleye. All were pan fried in shore lunch.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Mary, I agree! I made the walleye in the photo next to the shad along with a 17” huge white bass. The white bass fillets tasted way better and were firmer. I made some Northern the day before yesterday and also way better then the walleye. All were pan fried in shore lunch.
    Try salt, pepper, flour. Really light coating that lets the fish flavor shine through while still offering that crisp golden brown that is so tasty.

Boolit Buddy
    Never tried Shad.

Boolit Master

I’ve tried smoking fish, can’t get them to stay lit.
    Seriously, that is one awesome shad, congratulations!

We "plank" them: The plank used should be of well-seasoned hickory or of oak, about 3 inches thick. 2 feet long and 1 1-2 foot wide. Any soft wood gives a woody taste that is most objectionable. Get a fine roe shad, as fresh from the water as possible, scale, split down the back, clean, wash well and wipe dry. Dredge with salt and pepper. Place the plank before a clear fire to get piping hot. Then spread the shad open and nail it skin side down to the plank with four large-headed tacks. Put the board before the fire, large end down. In a few moments reverse the board, so that the other end will be down, and do this every few moments until the fish is done. To determine that accurately, pierce with a fork, and if the fish is flaky it is perfected. Spread with butter and serve on the plank, or draw out the tacks and slide off on a hot platter. Planked shad, like terrapin, should be served with baked potatoes, and, if possible, with green peas and a lettuce salad. The shad roe should be parboiled first to prevent the sputtering, then fried.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I like it with white rice and some good soy sauces but you may like it with lemon and bacon like this recipe from the folks in Connecticut who enjoy Atlantic Shad.
    Hi Bruce,

I believe you're thinking of American shad, which is protected (moratorium here in Virginia) due to severe overfishing. The gizzard shad is open for harvest.

Take care, Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast