WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Holster Suggestions

After many years of handgun hunting I have settled on something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Monoki-Tactic...6087645&sr=8-7. It is a sling pack that I wear on my chest tilted to my right with the single strap across to my right shoulder...In the large back part of the pack there is room for just about any auto or revolver with up to..say a 6"barrel....you can get larger paks for longer barrel guns...Once I get settled in the stand I simply unzip the top of the large compartment and it is very easy to quietly remove the pistol...I also carry my GPS, knife, pull-up rope, flashlight, limb saw and any other goodies and they are handy right on my chest...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I just recently acquired a "Chesty Puller" chest rig from Diamond D; don't know what took me so long.
    Same here.

This one seems like a great rig.
    https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    This one seems like a great rig.
    https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/
    That is the one I use with my SA 10mm and love it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The big problem with handgun holsters, it that they are almost impossible to use if you want to wear a large backpack. The backpack straps normally interfere with shoulder holsters and any sizable pack will make problems with a waist holster.

I had a custom holster made where the gun set in the center of my chest. It held six extra bullets. I used it for bear protection in Alaska. It worked great when carrying a pack. I am surprised no similar ones have been mass produced.

PS:Even 44 mag is minimal for bear protection. I later went back to carrying my .45/70. The plus side is the gun is always with you. When working, you are often away from a rifle and those few yards could make all the difference.

Greg, check out the link above for the Kenai holster. I think it is what you are describing.

I have hunted exclusively with a revolver in Alaska for over 50 years.
    Always used a shoulder holster. For the last approximately 35 years have been using the no longer available
    Bianchi bandolier style HUSH holster.
    I have used them very successfully with packs, sometimes extremely large packs!
    The new nylon holsters from Diamond D should be a good substitute for the no longer available
    Bianchi holsters.
    I strongly disagree with the often repeated statements that the .44 is marginal for bear protection!
    Like any other caliber it depends on the placement.
    A proper bullet, with a good hit is very effective! I have proven that several times over for myself.

Bob

I use a Galco Kodiak Hunter I would give 5 stars comfortable, Lot of Adj and holds some extra ammo carry my 629 in it not for the bears but for hogs down here in South Texas great for when I am running the tractor in the field

Boolit Master
    I have always found that any transport method used is cumbersome with a large handgun and impossible to access your handgun in a hurry when that game animal "appears." Since I only transport my handgun to my hunting location, a blind, a stand, a nice hay barn, I use a sling now. Upon arrival and after settling in, I place the handgun within reach after removing the sling.

If I am stalking game with a handgun, the handgun is......in my hands, not in a chest rig or slung.

Some guns sling easier than others. Contenders are the easiest to attach a sling to. Revolvers are harder and none of my current ones bear sling mounts. I transport in a day pack with those.

I used to transport in an old Uncle Mike's chest rig but found it too cumbersome to get off and back on with heavy coats and clothing needed for winter hunts on the east coast.

I hunt with TC Contenders quite a bit and I use one of these, not sure if it would work for you but it can be used with a small pack (I have never tried a large one) . It works well for me and can be worn over my heaviest hunting clothing with no issues.

https://www.pistolpackaging.com/Band...Belt_p/bsb.htm

Simply Rugged's Sourdough model was developed to "protect you from the pistol and the pistol from you". For the outdoorsman, it is the best their is. It can be used strong side, cross draw or with a chest rig.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold
    Diamond-D's Guides Choice or the Galco Great Alaskan get my vote.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12