Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Holster Suggestions

Boolit Buddy

Hunting Holster Suggestions

I'm looking to see if there's a better way of doing things. I normally carry a blackhawk in a cross draw for easier drawing while seated which works fine during warmer hunts where I'm not wearing a jacket. When things cool down though my jacket covers it in a way that is difficult to get to without a lot of noise and movement and it makes my jacket poke out awkwardly and it gets caught on everything while stalking.

I've never worn a bandolier style or kodiak style holster but was wondering if something along these lines worn on top of the jacket would work better. Or if there's another one that you like.

One way is to get a larger belt that goes around your jacket. Barring that option, I think you’re looking at a shoulder holster

I've handgun hunted for over 40 years, and have found that a cross-chest bandolier or shoulder holster works best for me.

I've also found that, due to the close-range shots on game, that a leather belt/holster can "creak" at inopportune times, causing the game to bolt.

After that leather holster went down the road, I lucked into a solution for me - A model 4101 Bianchi Ranger H.U.S.H. ( HUnting Shoulder Holster ) Cordua Nylon rig

The Cordua is silent, is easily slid around to the back of the off shoulder (out of the way after deploying the handgun ) - and can be had for many different handguns, scoped or not.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus

A chest rig sounds like it would work for you. I carry my XDm 10mm in a Kenai chest rig.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I've handgun hunted for over 40 years, and have found that a cross-chest bandolier or shoulder holster works best for me.

I've also found that, due to the close-range shots on game, that a leather belt/holster can "creak" at inopportune times, causing the game to bolt.

After that leather holster went down the road, I lucked into a solution for me - A model 4101 Bianchi Ranger H.U.S.H. ( HUnting Shoulder Holster ) Cordua Nylon rig

The Cordua is silent, is easily slid around to the back of the off shoulder (out of the way after deploying the handgun ) - and can be had for many different handguns, scoped or not.

That one does look like it could fit the bill. Unfortunately I just did a quick google and it looks like they’ve been discontinued. There is a similar one on Amazon though that says it’s made by Federal in the USA so that may be worth looking at more. Plus it’s fairly inexpensive.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    A chest rig sounds like it would work for you. I carry my XDm 10mm in a Kenai chest rig.
    Another consideration would be comfort and accessibility while wearing with a pack. Not something I normally do but hopefully could be future possibility. It looks like the kenai rig might be a better option for that.

Boolit Buddy
    What kind of gun are you carrying?

Boolit Buddy
    6.5” or 4 5/8” blackhawks.

Boolit Master
    Simply Rugged makes some pancake holsters that look like they would be comfortable on the belt and convert to a chest rig.
    https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...151&parent=669

Boolit Grand Master

For cold weather deer hunting, I wear mine with a large strap belt maybe 2" wide, which I keep over most of my clothes, but my jacket covers it. I only wear this when walking. When I sit down, I take it off. If I'm tracking, I have the belt on, but handgun in my hand. I like a strongside holster, and never warmed up to cross draw. It sits nicely under a jacket, and I wear it so drawing is not that difficult. I even jumped a buck one day, and was able to draw and kill it with no troubles. I've got a different holster for everything, with no strong preference. The Hunter versafit works just fine for my Redhawk. I really like my A.E. Nelson #392 for my model 57. I've tried two different Blackhawk brand holsters (the cheap ones), and didn't like either. I do like pancake holsters, but they don't fit my big strap belt.

Boolit Master

I just recently acquired a "Chesty Puller" chest rig from Diamond D; don't know what took me so long.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd also like to note that I have tried two shoulder holsters, and absolutely hated both. The one from Blackhawk I could barely get over a T shirt, and it felt like trying to put on a fall harness. And trying to draw from it, good luck. The one from Safariland fit much looser, but there was no way it would go over any winter clothes. I could not imagine trying to wear it under winter clothes, it was not comfortable at all. This one draws nice, but I'm not real confident in the retention.

I never have tried a true chest rig, but to me most look over complicated and uncomfortable, same as shoulder holsters. When I'm hunting, I already have enough crap chafing my neck, either a bag, a chair strap, or backpack. I don't need my holster on my neck too. The other big problem is most appear to have the holster ride right on top of your chest. I don't know how that is supposed to work if you have binoculars.

Personally I'd rather keep my handgun in a fanny pack (which I do when dirtbiking), rather than literally add more weight to my shoulders.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    I normally carry a blackhawk in a cross draw for easier drawing while seated which works fine.
    OP I carry cross draw in a Mike's nylon flap holster on a WWII web belt slung just below my belt and it works great stalking or seated. I have a short one on one web belt for the shorter pistols, and a longer one on a different belt for the 7 1/2" BH. I tried using a chest carry shoulder holster and with any kind of big bore, it gets VERY tiring very quick. I don't know that you won't spend money on something that at first sounds good then later on you won't like it, and go back to the cross draw, I did.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I carried my 6 1/2" model 29 a lot in a Roy baker pancake holster with 4 slots the bottom 2 slots would place the gun at about the same place as a vertical shoulder holster and would allow it to be drawn from under a coat that was unzipped or unbuttoned on the top half by reaching in from the top worked pretty good sitting or standing and kept the gun out of the weather . I don't know it anyone makes that style holster now but it is very comfortable carried on the right side with bottom slots or cross draw under a long coat.
    I still have the holster and 29 both purchased in the 70s.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    OP I carry cross draw in a Mike's nylon flap holster on a WWII web belt slung just below my belt and it works great stalking or seated. I have a short one on one web belt for the shorter pistols, and a longer one on a different belt for the 7 1/2" BH. I tried using a chest carry shoulder holster and with any kind of big bore, it gets VERY tiring very quick. I don't know that you won't spend money on something that at first sounds good then later on you won't like it, and go back to the cross draw, I did.
    LOL. Yeah I can imagine that may be how it goes. I really like my galco sao in cross draw mode and it works great when I'm not wearing a jacket and it works ok in the jacket but other options are enticing...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    I'm looking to see if there's a better way of doing things. I normally carry a blackhawk in a cross draw for easier drawing while seated which works fine during warmer hunts where I'm not wearing a jacket. When things cool down though my jacket covers it in a way that is difficult to get to without a lot of noise and movement and it makes my jacket poke out awkwardly and it gets caught on everything while stalking.

I've never worn a bandolier style or kodiak style holster but was wondering if something along these lines worn on top of the jacket would work better. Or if there's another one that you like.
    El Paso Saddlery make a tanker style holster I thought might be a good choice
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    My own preference for longer barreled pistols (6" and up) is for a properly designed cross draw on a belt large enough to go over my coat. However, I have a fondness for my 8 3/8" S&W 29 in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster. Carried under my coat, with the top two buttons undone, it is still readily accessible. That is, as long as you buy your coat a size larger than you are.

One thing that has to be considered is the size of the user. If you are 5' 10" and weigh 275 lbs, your needs are going to be quite different from a fellow 5 inches taller and 60 pounds lighter. 40 pounds ago, I found IWB to be the cat's pajamas: these days, not so much. The bigger your waist, the less useful you'll find the cross-body shoulder holsters, unless you have a 38 inch sleeve.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-23-2021 at 01:21 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    Hope this site https://www.idfholsters.com/ helps you to choose the right holster. Ordered a pocket holster for my P365 and it's pretty nice.

my self made cross chest for 6" scoped M-629
    Sprue ™

Sprue, show us a pic of that home made rig.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast