Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If someone wanted to buy all your lead...

After the fact, I'm wondering what kind of $1M boat is so sensitive to trim that a couple hundred pounds will set it right. A medium-sized man walking from bow to stern will change the trim as much or more. Open-sea race boat maybe?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Would never consider selling all my lead. Never could replace it for what I originally paid for it and in this current crazyness worth more to me anyway. Some of it is range lead from the pistol range berm I salvaged. Some of it was free wheel weights and a lot of roofing lead that was bought from a now closed scrap yard. Took some time to build a stash so that is another consideration. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    After the fact, I'm wondering what kind of $1M boat is so sensitive to trim that a couple hundred pounds will set it right. A medium-sized man walking from bow to stern will change the trim as much or more. Open-sea race boat maybe?
    It's actually just a 28' center console, but an extremely nice one. Yes, a man standing in the back will get it sitting right. I think what they want to avoid is for the water line to ever be sloped down aft to bow. I'll post a picture of it after I drop the lead off.

Boolit Master
    why not sell if you are guaranteed payment where you could afford to just call up rotometals and get exactly the alloys that would be best for the types of shooting you do. your doing them a favor and they are making it right.

Boolit Master
    Keep your cleaned lead.

Direct them to the junk yard for theirs. If I was in the business of building and selling million dollar boats ........ I would have the lead source at my finger tips!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
    I live 5 minutes from a scrap yard that regularly has plenty of lead available for $1/lb so I will immediately replace what I sold plus more after selling it. Just have to put in the work to melt that down then.

Side note. I got started on that today. Scrap yard happened to have a bunch of huge 55 lb pigs. I am not the most seasoned caster so I thought wow that's nice and clean lead that will be easy to melt down... What a mistake. Should have gotten more shower sheeting.
    And improve your capacity to smelt larger amounts of scrap faster.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I have a good burner I just need to get a big dutch oven or something.

Ended up selling the lead for $2.40 a pound. I feel like that was a good profit for my time and investment. I could have gotten more with no questions asked but as some mentioned on this thread I wanted to be careful about creating tention due to the family/employment dynamic. Thanks to all for the good advice.

I'll still get a picture of the boat to post before it gets delivered hopefully.

Boolit Buddy
    Not the best picture, but here is a shot of the boat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	282729

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'd keep my lead and let them use scrap iron from the junk yard .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Deal's done. They needed small ingots to be able to fit it in a tight space. No regrets. I made a decent profit on my time. Picking up some fresh lead at the scrap yard and melting it down today.

Boolit Master
    Adam20 has the right idea.

Place a replacement order with Rotometals for the total weight they need. Charge them the same amount (or higher). They get lead now and you get certified known alloy. Win win for both parties
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123