Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If someone wanted to buy all your lead...

Give up my stash for cash? Never happen.

As to the weight distribution, that is a simple solution.
    If it is down at the bow start sending people on board one by one, walk towards the stern.

When it is balanced add up the weights and note the location. That is how much you need and where.

The ship itself was probably balanced as designed, but changes in decor could easily add up to 250 lbs needed to bring it back into balance.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    That's why Roto sells "ballast lead". Doesn't get any easier than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I regularly sell all but my reserve (about 500 lbs). Price is 4X my fixed costs. Those costs vary a bit, but my regular customers are happy with what they get from me.

In your case that works out to $3.44/lb or $869.60 for 253 lbs according to my math (.8*253 = 202.4 + $15 for propane for 12 hours, total of 217.4 fixed costs X 4 is 869.6)

That is still a deal for them. They won't bat an eye, and if they do, stand your ground, the are just negotiating. And while you may be thinking that $54/hour is good wages to run a pot, you aren't just running a pot, you are running a business processing hazardous material. You would be lucky to charge $54/hour to buyers for processing and pay $20 an hour to an employee and still cover FICA, insurance and overhead at a profit.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Boolit Grand Master

Since it isn’t your relative that is in a bind, it isn’t really your problem. Don’t sell your lead unless you want it gone. If you do sell it, sell it for a premium over replacement cost. Not what you could scrounge it for, what you could go to a dealer and buy right now today.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

I would put a really nice premium on it coming close to Roto's price including delivery. You have it now and all you are doing is asking slightly below market rates as a favor to your father. I would let the owner know only reason you are doing this is for your Dad. You don't need to sell but you will need to replace.

Boolit Master

for what it's worth mixing employer, employee and family in with business transactions can very often cause inadvertent harm to the ones you love.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Go over to Rotometals and price out the cost of the equivalent weight of their hardball alloy, then add 50%. Sell for that amount, then use the cash to re-buy from Roto.

it's just business...Father or not, there's no reason for you to sacrifice your stash at cut-rate prices to fix someone else's lack of planning. If they need it now, they'll be willing to pay. If not, then it's not your problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    for what it's worth mixing employer, employee and family in with business transactions can very often cause inadvertent harm to the ones you love.
    This is absolutely true...

Boolit Buddy
    I definitely agree. In this case I have no concerns. My dad has worked there 25 years, is firmly the most valuable employee, and I have worked there myself in the past so it's really like I'm a subcontractor and my dad being an employee is incidental in this case.

Boolit Master

I'm with GhostHawk, no way I'm selling my stash!

As far as boat ballast, concrete is cheap.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I'm with GhostHawk, no way I'm selling my stash!

As far as boat ballast, concrete is cheap.
    This is an excellent point. I’m fairly positive they could get 4 bags of cement at any home store tomorrow. Problem solved.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    It's a really nice boat. They want something clean and removable. They're looking for lead, I'll give them lead. After reading replies to this thread I'm thinking about more like $2.30/lb

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
    It's a really nice boat. They want something clean and removable. They're looking for lead, I'll give them lead. After reading replies to this thread I'm thinking about more like $2.30/lb
    At that price you make a few hundred dollars for your trouble but depending on what your alloy is you might not be able to replace it for that price. I would say if it is mostly pure go for it but if it is high in tin or antimony hold on to it.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    It's mostly pure lead with maybe 35% or so wheel weights. Insignificant amount of lino thrown in. I'll more than cover what I spent on it all for sure. It's roughly a 120% profit on my investment which covers my time at $30-40/hr

The mentality of business people who have 1 mill boats is to solve the problem quickly. Convenience will trump the time spent looking for better deals. They are not going to go to the scrap yard looking for unprocessed dirty lead because they want to save a hundred bucks, they know too well that hiring someone is it going to cost a lot more to process the lead so charge them below what they could acquire new lead and don't under sell yourself as money is probably not an issue to this guy. $2.30 is cheap

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong. My kettle handles about 22 lbs at most. I have 3 ingot molds. I melt and clean (thoroughly) about 22 lbs give or take, pour the 12 lbs that 3 ingot molds accommodates, then start melting down more. Wheel weights have to be added a handful at a time I find which makes it slower. I also usually melt down new lead simultaneously with casting and go back and forth to give the flux time to burn off and give fresh additions of lead plenty of time to melt so that does add quite a bit of time. But if I had been rushing, 250 lbs would take me minimum 5 hours, with minimal cleaning.
    I use an inexpensive dutch oven. It holds ~150 lbs. I use a turkey/crab cooker for heat. I've accumulated many ingot molds. For casting alloy I use my Redneck Gold/Cast Boolits molds. I have four of those. That's 40 lbs of ingots at a time.
    NRA Benefactor.

Lead's going for $3/lb on Craigslist around here, Mine are not for sale at that price. Not with Biden in office, it may be outlawed to own in the near future.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam20 View Post
    figure out what it is going to cost to replace it from a supplier, rotometals ect. and add at least 20% like any other business with inventory would do. They will understand that. They want lead quickly cost is not much of a concern to them.
    yeah i would do this cause ultimatly you will have NO lead and have to start all over.

Boolit Master
    If that is all you have, why part with it? Unless you can have double the amount delivered, I wouldn't consider it for a moment....not even sure double would make me consider it. If I were inclined to do something like that, I would have liquidated my primers already....maybe not the same, can't buy them back currently.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Buddy
    I live 5 minutes from a scrap yard that regularly has plenty of lead available for $1/lb so I will immediately replace what I sold plus more after selling it. Just have to put in the work to melt that down then.

Side note. I got started on that today. Scrap yard happened to have a bunch of huge 55 lb pigs. I am not the most seasoned caster so I thought wow that's nice and clean lead that will be easy to melt down... What a mistake. Should have gotten more shower sheeting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast