MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The garand ammo arguement rolls on!

Boolit Master

Numerous load manuals have treated the .45-70 as three separate cartridges for many years now, depending on what vintage and design of firearm you intend to shoot. . .

Similarly, we have both Peacemaker and "Baby Casull" load data for the .45 Colt.

This seems very much like one of those "Look. . .this isn't that hard" topics to me.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    IMHO, the reason for the CMP doing this is the recent surge of interest in the Garand.

Huge numbers of younger folks are buying them without any research being done. So, Joe Blow gets his new to him Garand and proceeds to the store to get ammo. These days selection is limited so he picks up some 220gn loads for elk season. After sighting in he has problems with the op rod and calls CMP asking why they sent him a dud rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to have Garands but poverty had her way with me for awhile, hence, ....... Friends have them and one in particular, is forever trying to hot rod it. He does it with most of his stuff. One thing to keep in mind is that Mr. Garand developed this platform with a .276 caliber, not .30 cal., in mind. The ordnance corp, or more specifically, Douglas MacArthur, was sitting on a pile of .30 cal ammo, so it was redesigned for the.30 cal. I think they are tough as can be and history will back me up there. Still, although it functions well at M1 standards, it was meant for a lighter cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I used to have Garands but poverty had her way with me for awhile, hence, ....... Friends have them and one in particular, is forever trying to hot rod it. He does it with most of his stuff. One thing to keep in mind is that Mr. Garand developed this platform with a .276 caliber, not .30 cal., in mind. The ordnance corp, or more specifically, Douglas MacArthur, was sitting on a pile of .30 cal ammo, so it was redesigned for the.30 cal. I think they are tough as can be and history will back me up there. Still, although it functions well at M1 standards, it was meant for a lighter cartridge.
    And that would have allowed a 10 round magazine. While 8 doesn't really bother me it is awkward. Compared to the M-14 however, I love the clean lines of the M-1 and the lack of magazine protrusion.

Boolit Master

Yep,
    Kinda fascinates me that every 5yrs or so, that this comes around again.
    I guess every new shooter has to be educated on this simple subject.
    Today most seem to start with black guns and work their way around to the old standbys.

When I got My DCM Garand back in 1989 there was no manual enclosed with it. Fortunately My Dad had schooled Me well on loading for them. Never had a problem.
    Bullet; 150-168grs, Powder; 46grs - 48grs of H4895 or IMR4895.
    Can't get much simpler then that.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Yep, my father-in-law taught me. I now have his rifle. Fun to shoot. It is my 'black' gun

Some years back, the NRA put out a thin paperback that contained many of the articles from the American
    Rifleman about the Garand rifle. It did a good job of covering the history, the loading for the rifle, maintaining of the rifle and accurizing the rifle. I don't know if it is still in print, but it is a treasure if you have one.

I bought my Garand for $500.00 in 2001 at a pawnshop. It was a truly mint 1962 Red River Arsenal rebuilt on a Springfield receiver. It one one of those "canned" and never shipped overseas as a loaner. I assume it came from the DCM years ago.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

"IMHO, the reason for the CMP doing this is the recent surge of interest in the Garand.

Huge numbers of younger folks are buying them without any research being done. So, Joe Blow gets his new to him Garand and proceeds to the store to get ammo. These days selection is limited so he picks up some 220gn loads for elk season. After sighting in he has problems with the op rod and calls CMP asking why they sent him a dud rifle."

+1 on this. Add in the guys who want to neck-size only their fired brass for "better accuracy" and have never heard the word "Slam-fire."

But I have to ask, what about low numbered 1903 Springfields? (Ducks and covers )
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 04-24-2021 at 04:45 PM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Just received from CMP, this subject turned into quite the brouhaha in the GCA community last year.

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP
    And in other new, water is wet!
    Do you really have to tell people not to load and shoot over pressure ammunition?

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    But I have to ask, what about low numbered 1903 Springfields? (Ducks and covers )
    People shoot those here, they are like any 100yr old rifle.
    If its still going today its probably not half bad but dont forget the warranty expired before you were born

Boolit Master
    The problem is that factory ammo is not over pressure for the .30-06 SAAMI spec. The Garand just was not made for the heavier bullets with so much residual pressure near the muzzle. The chambers handle the heavier loads just fine.

Just a little quirk with the Garand that has to be learned or taught.

FWIW, back in the 80's one of the family friends hunted elk with his Garand with 220gn loads. Yes, he did learn the hard way as he bent an op rod the first time shooting those. His local gunsmith fixed it and showed him how to change the gas system by installing a new plug that was drilled out. He took quite a few elk with that thing before he got too old to hunt.

Boolit Master
    I was the guy who scanned the article about using factory ammo. It had appeared in an older GCA magazine.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

Yes you were , I could not remember as I dump my pm boxes , thank you for the articles .

Boolit Master
    I still have it on my computer if anyone is interested. Drop me a pm with your email address.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12