Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Recoil Pad Update

Boolit Buddy

Recoil Pad Update

First off a BIG thank you for all of the advise about recoil pads. Saturday I went to a LGS in Cullman Al. about 40 miles from home. I ended up with 2 Limb Saver Slip on recoil pads, 1 for my 12 ga. Remington 870 Express with a rifled slug barrel and the other for my Mossberg 500 20 ga that I got the rifled slug barrel for. Also, bought a Remington replacement recoil pad for the 870. This is all they had that will fit my shotguns.
    The Limb Savers are a lot softer than the replacement pad.
    There's a Cabela's in Huntsville, Al. that I'm going to try to go to this week. Hopefully they will have different pads in stock maybe a Kick-eze.

The Moulton, Al. Trail Life USA troop leaders had a beginning shooter safety class for our troop Monday night. And one of the leaders brought his 870 Express with a Limb Saver slip on pad installed. He stated that it made a world of difference in recoil.
    I discussed from a safety stand point the differences between my .357 mag/.38Spl's revolvers and the 9mm semi-auto's presented.

Tonight we stopped at Academy Sports in Decatur, A. and I picked up a Past shoulder pad. I hope to try all of these out late tomorrow or Thursday.
    Thanks again, all of the information is greatly appreciated.
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

You'll like the Past shoulder pad. I got one to keep me shootin' slugs till my operated shoulder had healed - which took many months. Works great for slugs, not so great for international skeet, where you have to mount the gun in a snap.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Buddy

James our Trail Life Troop just finished another Shooting Sports Orintstion course a few weeks ago. We've been on the range ever since. Walk Worthy

Boolit Buddy
    NC JEFF, I'm glad that you are involved in Trail Life USA. It's a great organization for boy and their fathers or their adult mentors. Our troop is mostly Woodlands Trail age group, so we haven't been to the shooting range as yet. I'll add your troop to my Prayer List.

WALK WORTHY

JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Buddy
    Cap'n Morgan, I hope your shoulder is back in A-1 shape. If you can shoot slugs with a bad shoulder using the Past pad it should work great for me. I'm loading a bunch (southern for a lot) of test loads this week. The weather is "supposed" to warm up next week, and I'll really give the Limb Saver pad and the Past pad a good try out.
    Thanks for comment, it's very good to know about your successful experience with the PAST pad.

JAMES
    JAMESGR

James, just a heads up,, Recoil does more damage to you when your cheek weld is not in place.

Doesn't matter how many recoil pads you have if you aren't down on the gun, it will smack you in the chops.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    W.R. you are absolutely right!!!!! I've forgotten that a few times shooting my A'5's. HURTS!!!! It seems they are the worst offenders.

Thanks for the reminder W.R.!!!
    JAMES

Boolit Man
    Benelli SBE are as bad as A5's.

Boolit Master

Recoil in long strings of shots can do more damage than we initially think. I have a couple of older trap and skeet shooting buddies that can no longer shoot anything because of nerve damage in the base of the neck. We use to shoot from 100 to 200 12 gauge shells a week and never even thought about recoil. I never considered a 12 gauge trap load as having much recoil. james

Boolit Grand Master

You bet a long string of wacks is damaging ! One smack on a finger we go on. But 50-100 would be a permanent condition of tenderized meat.
    We slip-on pad all our range fired 20 gauge and above scatterguns.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ackleyman View Post
    Benelli SBE are as bad as A5's.
    If anything, the SBE is worse. I never thought of the A5 as being bad at all. It is still smoother than a pump action or a double.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    If anything, the SBE is worse. I never thought of the A5 as being bad at all. It is still smoother than a pump action or a double.
    I don't know if it was fixed on the later A5, but I never liked the way the trigger slapped your finger when the action cycled. I went to the trouble of adding a trigger stop to reduce trigger movement to a minimum.
    Cap'n Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    I don't know if it was fixed on the later A5, but I never liked the way the trigger slapped your finger when the action cycled. I went to the trouble of adding a trigger stop to reduce trigger movement to a minimum.
    CZ pistols do this too,,, and the cure is to Trap the Trigger back as the gun fires. Then you release it to reset the trigger/disconnector for the next shot.

They go to alot of trouble to teach this fine point in all the firearms classes at Front Sight. All the Rifle Pistol and Shotgun do it..

I ran into a problem doing this at my Skeet Shoot last week with my Ithaca M37 which I found out "will fire" if you rack the slide with the trigger held back. like a Winchester 1897. Same guy designed them both and apparently he didn't see the need for a disconnector on a pump shotgun.

However my A5 has never done this to me and doesn't slap back either. Both 1963 and above guns

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

The Limbsaver pad is well named, IMO. I try to keep a couple of slip ons handy for bench work and all the 4 lb single shot shotguns around here wear them at all times.

Randy, the problem with my old A5 was that the trigger was pulled partly forward during the cycle when the muscles in your finger was still taut. You then released the trigger further to let the sear engage again before next shot.

I had a couple of CZ 75s' back in my IPSC days. Nice guns, but the trigger backlash was awful so I added a trigger stop to them as well
    Cap'n Morgan

Yes the first two shots with my CZ 40 P would smack me pretty good until I remembered to trap the trigger. I liked that gun but it was a de-cocker and it wasn't suited to the type of shooting I was doing. I still have the Pea sized callous on my right thumb from decocking that gun about 2,000 times !

I did a trigger job on that gun and it was the hardest mechanical device to reassemble I have ever encountered. I was nearly crying !!! Finally got it together and it actually worked!

I traded it for my G21SF and I definitely got the better end of that trade.

Randy