RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Warning

Boolit Master

Warning

I received a warning from the CMP advising that shooters use 30-06 ammunition loaded to no more than 50,000 CUP and no heavier than 172 grs. in 1903, 1902A3, and M-1 rifles.
    The note went on to mention that these rifles are at least 70 years old and should be coddled a bit.
    Gun control is not about guns.

That's a little surprising.

A bunch of surplus 03s were safely rechambered to .300Mag. and ya never heard any horror stories about that.
    The receivers on them had a reputation for being tougher than Chinese Algebra, and ya needed extra hard drill bits to get into one.

There was a bunch that didn't have a good heat treat and had 'issues'.
    The serial number block for them is pretty easy to find.
    Maybe one of them slipped by and had a problem.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I believe the issue may be the Garand, 03's are solid as a Mauser.

Boolit Master
    50,000 CUP IS the industry maximum average pressure for 30-06. That's not a reduction, it's the same pressure.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Mine get only boolits anyway.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Their lawyer must have required it. As stated, 50,000 is standard. ...good luck finding anyone publishing a CUP value for their ammo though

Boolit Master

Going "off the reservation" in reloading, meaning extrapolation beyond published recipes in reloading manuals is called WILDCATTING, which can lead to a BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    At our range, we have a series of holes in the metal roof where someone goofed reloading 30-06 rounds. KB'ed a Garand at a CMP match one day.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

If they blew up a Garand they would probably have blown up any other 06 also , this is just old lawyer nonsense , cover their rear ends .

That walmart ammo is likely to shoot just fine out of them as no one I know in the retail end of things selling ammo is hot rodding 30-06 , definitely a slow news day as there are 2 threads on the cmp sending this out meanwhile those of us who shoot our Garands are busy loading for them .

Boolit Grand Master

That's what has been recommend for the past 85 years. What's changed? Nothing that I can see.

50,000 CUP is the SAAMI standard for the 30-06 in CUP. 60,000 PSI is the SAAMI standard in the 30-06 in PSI. https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

I have personally seen Garand's converted to 35 Whelen, 300 Win Mag and 458 Win Mag. The only ones I have done have been to 308 Win.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...in-mag-garand/

I do heed the advice about port pressure. That being said in 30 plus years of working on the for Service rifles for competition I have never seen a bent OP rod. I made the mistake of agreeing to built two tankers for a buddy. I will never do that again. Saying bending the OP without heat was a challenge is an understatement.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/m1-garand-handloads

Various sources claim the M1 bullet weighed 172, 173 and 174 grains, a mystery explained by a list of .30-06 service loads in Hatcher’s Notebook, the reference work by General Julian Hatcher. The maximum bullet weight of M1 ammunition was a maximum of 174.5 grains but could be as much as 3 grains lighter. Similarly, the maximum weight of the “150-grain” bullet was 152 grains but could be as light as 149 grains.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-22-2021 at 02:25 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer