RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: 45 ACP 170 gr SWC load data

Boolit Master

45 ACP 170 gr SWC load data

I'm looking for load data for the SAECO 62 mold.

170 gr SWC.

I've played with 155-160's in the past but I've never been very happy with the results.

I don't need any specific power factor. If they will cycle a 1911 and punch holes in cardboard I'm happy.

Thanks.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    5gr red dot

Boolit Buddy
    I have the MP NLG SWC that drops right at 170 with my alloy. So far I have only tested with 4.2 of Ramshot Competition and that runs like a champ in my PPQ45. I think that is probably under the min but since Western doesn't list 170, I figured I would start at the load for a 185 SWC and work up from there. If the range doesn't get flooded out on Friday I'll try some hotter loads and put them across the chrony this weekend.

Boolit Master

I have a Saeco 62b that casts at 164grs with WW+2%sn. My experience with the bullet is that it needs to run fast for accuracy. Out of my "Wad" gun it will do 1 1/2"@25 yds with 5.9/231(900fps) and a Max load of Bullseye (1100fps). I had no luck with good accuracy in the 700-800 fps range.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I'd use data for the 185gr jacketed bullet as a starting point and work from there if it was me.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You'll have to work up the charge based on the powder to be used using a ratio calculation of the bullet weights. Start with a 180 to 170 weight... http://stevespages.com/451p_1_180.html
    Last edited by John Boy; 04-21-2021 at 10:15 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    We shoot Magma's 175 swc in light spring, Bullseye guns with 4.0 Bullseye powder. Some guys are shooting as low as 3.8 and in hot weather it's fine, cooler morning's not so much. If your gun has factory springs I would think you need to move up to around 4.2 as a starting point.
    We fooled around with the 160's also and I agree they have to run fast to get accuracy. Our springs are 8.5 to 11 lbs on average.
    Tony

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    We shoot Magma's 175 swc in light spring, Bullseye guns with 4.0 Bullseye powder. Some guys are shooting as low as 3.8 and in hot weather it's fine, cooler morning's not so much. If your gun has factory springs I would think you need to move up to around 4.2 as a starting point.
    We fooled around with the 160's also and I agree they have to run fast to get accuracy. Our springs are 8.5 to 11 lbs on average.
    Tony
    Thanks.

Talking to an old Bullseye shooter at my club Saturday he told me to try 3.8 gr of Bullseye.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I just got through load development with a Mihec 155 g SWC and an Accurate 160 SWC. The Mihec 155 very closely resembles the Saeco 62 bullet. Both molds cast my alloy at 168 g. The H&G number is 242S.
    I used 4.5g. of Bullseye powder. The Mihec shot around 4" at 50 yards out of a Ransom Rest. 5 of 10 rounds were in about a 1" group. The Accurate mold shot 9 out of 10 rounds into a 1 3/4" group. The flyer opened it up to 2 3/4".
    THE KEY TO ACCURACY WITH THESE LIGHT BULLETS IS A TAPER CRIMP OF .465 TO .463.
    My target pistol has a slide mounted optic but I think it would operate a std. Gov't. model.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I just got through load development with a Mihec 155 g SWC and an Accurate 160 SWC. The Mihec 155 very closely resembles the Saeco 62 bullet. Both molds cast my alloy at 168 g. The H&G number is 242S.
    I used 4.5g. of Bullseye powder. The Mihec shot around 4" at 50 yards out of a Ransom Rest. 5 of 10 rounds were in about a 1" group. The Accurate mold shot 9 out of 10 rounds into a 1 3/4" group. The flyer opened it up to 2 3/4".
    THE KEY TO ACCURACY WITH THESE LIGHT BULLETS IS A TAPER CRIMP OF .465 TO .463.
    My target pistol has a slide mounted optic but I think it would operate a std. Gov't. model.
    Thanks.

I might have to play with the crimp on them.
    NRA Benefactor.