Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge Case Lube for Sizing

Boolit Grand Master

I mostly use the Lanolin/Alcohol lube from Dillon. I'll probably mix my own when the Dillon runs out.

Boolit Master
    I use either imperial wax or unique case lube and can't see much difference. Both work very well, are easy to use and very cheap.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to use Kiwi Mink oil.
    It worked the same a Imperial, and cost less than half.
    But they stopped making it.
    Seems they got sued, and had to pull it off the market.
    They sent me a can of their shoe conditioner.
    Said it worked the same.
    Didn't tell them what I was using it for.
    It's not the same, but works OK.
    Not as good as Imperial or the old Mink oil.
    I've found for pistol, the Lee white lube in the tube, mixed with 99% alcohol, in a spray bottle, works well.
    I need to try the Lanolin/alcohol mix someday.

Banned

go to the pharmacy and buy a tub of anhydrous lanolin. Its the same thing that imperial sizing wax is at MUCH LESS MONEY. You can find it on ebay too. make sure your getting the anyhydrous stuff though. I bought a 3lb tub about 10 years ago and still am using it and it would have lasted for 40 years if it wasnt one of the ingredients in felix lube i used to make back in the day.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Dillon Case Lube for small rifle cases and pistol cases, Imperial sizing wax for large cases,( Weatherby size stuff) and then i found Bag Balm! That stuff is slick as you know what, and a square tin of it lasts practically forever!!!!!!!!!! Just a slight touch on your fingers every 10 or so '06 cases, and i have never stuck a case using this stuff. And, it's very cheap at Walgreen's drugstore. Good luck however you go.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Bub
    Imperial. I bought a lot of it when they sold to Redding and am on last little tin. Hopefully the green version is the same

Boolit Master
    Synthetic Wax Cable Pulling Lube 1-Quart $8 Water based doesn't need to be cleaned off & the bottle will last forever. Can be used wet or dry too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...oduct-overview

Boolit Buddy
    Some things you probably need to be aware of, HEET is no longer 99% alcohol. You can still buy 99% alcohol on amazon though. I made the switch to Imperial sizing wax about 10 years ago. At the time I dreaded FL resizing the surplus machine-gun fired 7.62 cases, but I had a lot of them, and a M1A to feed - the Imperial wax made a dreaded task tolerable. Give it a try, you won't look back.

Boolit Buddy

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LANOLIN-O...ll&athena=true

https://www.walmart.com/ip/99-Isopro...aces/823031057

$23 and a spray bottle, you'll have enough QUALITY LUBE, easily applied and as good as anything you can use that says "sizing lube" on the label to last for thousands of rounds.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master

i like imperial sizing for hard sizes... but the lanolin and alcohol works great in general.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I bought a 10 oz bottle of liquid lanolin on amazon several years ago. Mixed it with HEET Gas additive (99% alcohol) & into a spray bottle to apply.
    My formula too. But quite a while back I was in need and didn't want to wait for lanolin or dedicated case lube from a vendor, so I tried Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream. Read about it here (maybe in 2008?) and found some in the shoe polish section of the local Walgreens. I have not had any trouble with sticking cases or removing from cases (just a wipe with a paper towel or roll a bunch in a towel). Smells OK and is good on this old mechanic's hands...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1geHxGk3QL._SX679_.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	281948I’ve posted this at least 50 times for the lube to use ... BAG BALM
    https://www.amazon.com/Vermonts-Orig...02979111&psc=1

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....QL._SX679_.jpg
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Wow, there's a bunch of stuff that works. The lanolin and alcohol mix sounds interesting. I get the impression that many of these ideas/formulas are mostly hand-applied for a relatively limited number of cases which won't be cleaned afterward. I used to use Hornady sizing wax and it worked well. For the occasional handful of brass, I now use a smear of Emmert's Boolit Lube (aka 541) and don't bother cleaning it off. Trace amounts will do.

There's another method for cases which are to be washed and/or tumbled after sizing, M-die and trim, and that's to use pan spray coating. When loading for a season's quantity of high-power matches, I'd get most of the brass standing up in a large baking tray and spray a quick pass of Pam or some store brand, and churn the brass up with my hands to distribute it. A barely detectable amount will do. With the cases upright, a little will get into the necks and lube the expander button or M-die operation. The cases do have to be washed or the vegetable oil will eventually turn gummy, but when I was doing a thousand cases at a time it was no biggie. My usual washing routine was to use lye-based oven cleaner, a squirt of Dawn dish detergent and a hot water rinse. They came out pretty bright and squeaky clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    Lanolin and alcohol is one of the best case lubes around, it's all I use
    What are the proportions?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    What are the proportions?
    One bottle of iso-heat (the red bottle) and 1.5 oz liquid lanolin.

Boolit Master

Question.. anyone here use that liquid water based wax called.. rooster lube?

I grabbed some at a show.. label shows you tumble lube with it kinda like alox.

I havn't used it yet... just wondering.

Boolit Man
    Years ago, I made benchrest bullets. At that time, almost everyone was using some kind of lanolin as a lube for the bullet jackets. The Die maker taught me to take a tube of the Lee White Sizing wax, melt it in the micro wave to just a warm consistency, then mix it 50/50 with water.

The 50/50 water/wax worked many times better than Imperial for forming and sizing big magnum cases also. I guy could use the Lee sizing wax in the tooth paste container, but cutting it with water makes it last twice as long. I apply the wax with my fingers on the neck and shoulder when I am forming cases, and this product is much better than Imperial.

Nothing tests a lube like pointing up bullets and seating cores in bullet jackets...nothing.

For sizing a quantity of 223's, I use the Lanolin and Heat. 1 oz of Lanolin to a bottle of heat.

For a store bought product, Dillon spray lube is a very, very good product.

Remember, the Lee sizing wax in the tooth paste tube beats Imperial for tough, sizing and forming case jobs...in spades.

RCBS Case Sizing Lube-2. Washes off with water. No sticky mess. I use it also to size bullets ,using a Lee push thru die, before oven heat treating.

A little lasts a very long time, when applied from a pad.

Boolit Master
    I guess I am a heretic as far as Imperial Sizing wax is concerned; Imperial works but lanolin based lubes work better. The 10 to 1 alcohol to lanolin mixture requires approximately 50% less pressure as Imperial when forming 50-90 brass into 43 Beaumont and 50-95 win. The RCBS lubes original and II work equally as good as the lanolin lubes. In my experience Lee lube works almost as good.

Gary

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by martyd View Post
    Hi,
    I have a lot of 30-06 cases & 270 Win cases to deprime and full length resize.

I tried silicon spray & LPS #1 but had multiple cases sticking in the die.

I read somewhere that a mixture of 99% alcohol and Liquid Lanolin in a 10:1 mix was great.

Any comments on this mix for lubing cases?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Marty
    You probably used silicone spray. Silicon is not the same thing as silicone. Regardless, neither LPS nor silicone is a good lube for sizing. If you use the lanolin/alcohol mix be SURE you let the alcohol evaporate or you WILL have stuck cases. For really difficult sizing straight lanolin works very well. I haven’t used anything but lanolin and alcohol or. Imperial for at least 20 years.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast