RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cartridge Case Lube for Sizing

Boolit Master

I to have been using Bag Balm for 20 years... Works for me.
    leadhead

I think I read it here,recently, and opened this up. Fantastic. I have a tin of Imperial that I hardly tried, and just finished a bottle of RCBS. I hope this will tumble off without turning my media black but have only wiped some cases down. I got enough for ten lifetimes nowClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210502_220020707.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	282330.

To lubricate the body of the brass I use Redding case lube and for the neck I use Imperial dry neck lube. I do not lubricate the shoulder.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Lanolin and alcohol in a pump type spray bottle. The spray lets you get a little in the case mouth too, that I think helps.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    Some things you probably need to be aware of, HEET is no longer 99% alcohol. You can still buy 99% alcohol on amazon though. I made the switch to Imperial sizing wax about 10 years ago. At the time I dreaded FL resizing the surplus machine-gun fired 7.62 cases, but I had a lot of them, and a M1A to feed - the Imperial wax made a dreaded task tolerable. Give it a try, you won't look back.
    ISO-Heet is currently 98.5% alcohol. Closer to 99% than I could measure.
    MSDS: https://www.imperialsupplies.com/sds...055120_SDS.pdf
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Commercial case sizing lubes all work quite well and they aren't very mysterious. What's the "best" case lube for each of us mostly depends on how we prefer to apply it; nothing works well if it's incorrectly applied.

There's a lube sticky above that gives a quick overview of commercial case lube types plus some excellent but commonly available and low cost substitutes.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    STP Oil Treatment
    Greasy but good ...$2.88 bottle w/screw cap will last you a lifetime .
    It looks and feels just like the old RCBS case lube that you applied to a ink pad and rolled the cases over .

Remember ... Just a Little Dab'll Do Ya ... use sparingly !
    Gary
    For case sizing requiring more lubricity than Dillin spray can provide, I've used a 50:50 blend of STP and Marvel Mystery Oil applied sparingly to an un-inked stamp pad. Roll the cases lightly and size away; wipe off the residue with a paper towel dampened in miserable spirits, or dilute Simple Green for a waterbased cleaning.

Noah

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    BMI4819 did this "I bought a 10 oz bottle of liquid lanolin on amazon several years ago. Mixed it with HEET Gas additive (99% alcohol) & into a spray bottle to apply. "

I did the exact same thing. I have not stuck a shell in over 10,000.
    Any commercial case lube will work fine IF it's properly applied.

A spritz of lanolin (lube) and alcohol (thinner) is a case lube but the alcohol must be allowed to dry off before sizing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    STP Oil Treatment
    Greasy but good ...$2.88 bottle w/screw cap will last you a lifetime .
    It looks and feels just like the old RCBS case lube that you applied to a ink pad and rolled the cases over .

Remember ... Just a Little Dab'll Do Ya ... use sparingly !
    Gary
    STP is more than similar to RCBS, Lyman and others that look, smell and make a mess like STP are indeed STP.

Boolit Master
    why on earth would anyone mix lanolin, stp, or anything else that leaves a goey mess to clean off. anything other than imperial and some other similar lube comes off easy and is probably a better lube anyway.

Boolit Buddy

I use a hair care lube called Blue Magic that I found at wally world. Tub of it was $3 and I use it on every thing from 50BMG and case forming 577/450 from 24ga brass down to Hornet. Smells decent and comes off in the tumbler easily. For mass loading of pistol cases The spray of lanolin and alcohol is handy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    why on earth would anyone mix lanolin, stp, or anything else that leaves a goey mess to clean off. anything other than imperial and some other similar lube comes off easy and is probably a better lube anyway.
    Doesn’t sound like you’ve used the lanolin/alcohol mix. It comes off in the vibratory polisher in a few minutes, just like Imperial. I have no desire to try STP when Dillon, homemade lanolin/alcohol and Imperial work so well and clean up easily.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    i don't remove case lube (imperial) in the tumbler. i wipe it off with a paper towel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123