RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloaded 22 LR Report

Reloaded 22 LR Report

Finally got to the range this weekend.
    I shot these in a TC G2; 22 LR - 6.5" barrel, I wanted a little extra safety factor instead of testing these in my Browning or SW 22A.
    Loading was done using a Hornady 224 Cal sleeved die, the sleeve was a perfect fit for the 22LR case and helped keep the bullet aligned decently for a nice looking bullet. I used the CH 22LR crimp die, worked perfectly.
    Primed brass was bought on GB.
    Picture-brass, Noe 42gr , MP 28gr HP (lino), MP 36gr HP.
    Bullet molds; MP- 39gr HPGC mold and the Noe FPGC 46gr mold, I used the GC shank as a heeled shank. I cast bullets from 2 different alloys. The MP 39gr HP I used WW/lino 2-1 (36gr) and 100% linotype (28gr) . The Noe I used WW/lino 2-1 (42gr)
    Bullets were sized in a Star .224" die from Lathesmith , using Carnuba Red lube , no leading was noticable in the G2 barrel.
    The Noe 42gr FP loaded rounds did engage the rifling on my G2 , very snug fit, no-way would they work in an auto.
    Accuracy was very good with both molds at 15 yards, the 1" bullseye was destroyed.
    Loads: I used Bullseye Powder
    MP HPGC mold:
    (100% lino) 28gr Bullet
    1.4gr-1277 fps
    1.6gr-1386
    1.8gr-1513 looks kinda warm but shot great.
    MP HPGC mold
    2/1 WW/lino 36gr Bullet
    1.2gr-1010 fps
    1.4gr-1145
    1.6gr-1258
    1.8gr-1401
    2.0gr - did not shoot these - I thought 1.8gr was fast enough.
    Noe FPGC mold
    2/1 WW/lino 42gr Bullet
    1.2gr- 964 fps
    1.4gr- 1079
    1.6gr- 1245
    1.8gr- 1294
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0568 (2).jpg  
    Last edited by 475/480; 04-20-2021 at 08:59 AM.

You haven't really reloaded .22 rimfire until you've reprimed fired hulls. I clicked into the thread hoping I'd see a report on that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    You haven't really reloaded .22 rimfire until you've reprimed fired hulls. I clicked into the thread hoping I'd see a report on that.
    I can only imagine the big mess I'd make as I tried to reload those lil'Pills with my bear paw hands...wouldn't be a pretty sight.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

You are right and no thanks for that trouble. I will stick with primed cases and go from there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Would be interested in your accuracy at 50 yards if you ever decide to test that far.
    Don Verna

Primed or reprimed, the load information is of value.
    Cognitive Dissident

If I may ask, what to primed cases cost? I'm curious to know whether hand loaded 22 rimfire can be made more accurate than commercial ammo in standard sporting rifles. One could load a boolit to actually fit the chamber and contact (or even fully engage) the rifling leade.

I probably wouldn't want to load up 200 rounds for a range shoot but a manageable number for accuracy could be fun. The other appeal would be higher than normal velocities for longer range 'game' hunting. Hand loading for a 22 rf could be fun but only if it can outshoot and outperform commercially available ammo. It's the actual casting of those rather small boolits that would be the Achilles heel for me. That's why I don't cast for my hornet.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    If I may ask, what to primed cases cost? I'm curious to know whether hand loaded 22 rimfire can be made more accurate than commercial ammo in standard sporting rifles. One could load a boolit to actually fit the chamber and contact (or even fully engage) the rifling leade.

I probably wouldn't want to load up 200 rounds for a range shoot but a manageable number for accuracy could be fun. The other appeal would be higher than normal velocities for longer range 'game' hunting. Hand loading for a 22 rf could be fun but only if it can outshoot and outperform commercially available ammo. It's the actual casting of those rather small boolits that would be the Achilles heel for me. That's why I don't cast for my hornet.
    I think you nailed it.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

I bought them last month on GB for $67 for 2000 and yes loading them is time consuming. Both molds engage the rifling very tightly.
    The hotter the mold the better the boolits especially with the HP mold. That is the reason I used so much linotype in my alloy, better fillout on the small boolits.

Sean
    Last edited by 475/480; 04-27-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Would be interested in your accuracy at 50 yards if you ever decide to test that far.
    It will take a week or 2 but I will test them at 50 yards.

Sean

You can't get more velocity without risking burst rims. The Achilles Heel of the rimfire. If you look at the really hot rimfires like .22 Magnum or the .17 WSM you'll find that the brass in the rim is quite a lot thicker and harder than ordinary .22, to handle the pressure. One of the troubles I've faced when making .25 Stevens rimfire out of the .17 WSM.

A trick I learned from reading Charlie Dell about casting these tiny bullets: Keep the sprue plate hot by letting excess lead run over it after the cavity is filled.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Lol

I see there is a 40gr 22lr loading that does 1435 fps! Holy Cow! That's the CCI’s Velocitor. Then there's the Aguila .22LR Interceptor 40 grain at 1470 fps!

To me, a 22 boolit only needs to be fast enough to stay fully supersonic out to 100 yds but I could live with 1435 fps. But can the hand loader achieve that? Safely that is. I wonder what powder is used in those loadings? I like the look of that 26gr boolit at 1500 fps. That would work for me.

$67 for 2000 seems reasonable. It would be for me - that would be a lifetime supply. In my currency that would be something like NZ $80 although if they were available here they would be more I would expect. Still, a once off batch of primed cases and a can of powder would be it for life. It might even get me out hunting instead of going to the range. I would spend more time loading than shooting so looking at it that way, it would save me money.

I can see loading the 22 as being quite a lot of fun.

There's guys here who shoot .22 RF in competition, using primed cases and breechseating the bullet for better accuracy, . Breech seating also gets you a tiny bit more powder space, and it eliminates the need for a heel on the bullet. They get superlative accuracy, using a caseful of FFFF black powder. This is done with falling-block single shot actions like Stevens or Winchester. Much harder to do with bolt actions.

FWIW Vihtavuoori touts a 3N37 as being designed for .22 rimfire . Herco is the closest I can find in the Quickload database. No idea what the factories actually use.

There's room in the case, if my home-made QL case model is accurate enough, for a slower powder like Power Pistol or even Blue Dot that MIGHT be able to get you to 1600 fps without exceeding the SAAMI nominal max pressure of 25,000 psi. BUT, that kind of pressure and velocity pushes you beyond the realm of plain base bullets, so you're back to a GC bullet, which you'd have to breech seat.

Toward the end of the black powder era it wasn't all that uncommon for small game and varmint shooters to breech seat their bullets. Didn't make for quick followup shots, though.
    Cognitive Dissident

I should hasten to add that that SAAMI maximum is never even approached by factory loads. Do they fear burst cases? Dunno.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    Be interesting to see what some of the higher velocity loads do out of a rifle length barrel.

I really don't intend to take on loading .22 Long Rifle, but who know? The planets, stars, and galaxies may align just right.

Robert

I would think that higher velocity would only be achievable with a powder with a longer pressure cure, not with higher pressure. There needs to be the initial bump up to flatten out the heel but beyond that I would think one would want the pressure to drop off quickly but hold the lower pressure longer.

Breach loading makes sense. It would be possible in a bolt action with a L shaped tool. I can picture it. Insert tool with boolit in the 'neck', push bold hard forward to seat to depth, remove tool, chamber powdered case and go. But how does one hold the powder in place? I'm thinking about this idea but I don't have access to primed cases! Maybe I should simply load 22 equivalent breach seat hornet! I already have the mold and the gas checks. It's just to get past the casting issue.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Two items to add to the discussion
    * it takes me less tha 20 minutes to reload a box of 50 primed empty cases with my cast bullets.
    * A 1530 FPS, 40gr reload with 2.1grs Bullseye is accurate to 100yds and also @ 200yds with light wind and a good set of eyes
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Two items to add to the discussion
    * it takes me less tha 20 minutes to reload a box of 50 primed empty cases with my cast bullets.
    * A 1530 FPS, 40gr reload with 2.1grs Bullseye is accurate to 100yds and also @ 200yds with light wind and a good set of eyes
    200 yards? Wow, I have never tried at that distance with a 22, now I’m gonna!

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the days when men were men, and Henry Ford hadn't built his first car yet, they used to shoot .22 rifle matches at 2-300 yards IIRC. And a lot of the rifles were chambered for the .22 Short.

Evidently everybody also had 20-10 vision then too.

Find you a nice clear spot in the high desert and have some long range fun with a .22.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast