RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Got an 1871 Mauser

Thumbs up Got an 1871 Mauser

I ended up with an 1871 Mauser in great shape. Im planning on getting C&H dies. What mold is best for this? Can you powder coat boolits for black powder? I hear FF type powder is best to use. Any tips? I see most postings here on this rifle are pretty old.

Lyman #446110 is an option but perhaps you might want to slug your barrel before buying a mould: IIRC, 71 (Single shot) and 71/84 (repeater) models even have slightly different bore dimensions.

As for powder coating, you may try it but you will still need to add some lube to keep the BP fouling soft, so I donīt see an advantage in using PC boolits for BP loads. YMMV.

Argie.
    "Skill is acquired not alone through practice but through the combination of study and experience" - P. Sharpe

Thanks! I got a 1871 single shot and from what I see about these its probably got a .451 groove. Got to get a mold around that size.

The 71 Mauser was designed for dead soft paper-patched bullets. Slug your bore by all means, but do not be too surprised if the chamber neck is too tight for a bullet that fits the grooves. The idea was that a slightly undersize bullet would enter a fouled bore, and then obturate on firing to fit. If you have such a rifle, reaming the neck bigger is one approach; the other is using paper patched bullets per the original.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    I use rifle boolits made for the 45-70 and size/lube them and then run them thru a 30-06 size die that I cut off the top so the opening of it would size them down to to what I need.

What size boolit works for your 1871?

Boolit Buddy
    Limited experience here but I have had positive results with a hb 405gr bullet sized down to .450 so it will chamber in my carbine. For dies i use .45 acp and .45 colt dies to neck size. Bp and 5744 for powders.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a .450" just like .455 Webley.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    Thanks! I got a 1871 single shot and from what I see about these its probably got a .451 groove. Got to get a mold around that size.
    IIRC, the 71 single shot model has a bigger bore dia. (between grooves) than the 71/84 repeater.

Lyman 446110 may work better for the repeater but anyway I would measure the bore dia. at the muzzle before buying a mold.

If you take a look at the left side of the semi-octagonal part of the barrel near to where it meets the receiver you should find a number in mm. (something like 11,1 or so). Thatīs the bore dia. (between lands) of your particular rifle. Or at least thatīs what it was when it left the factory over 100+ years ago.

Argie.
    "Skill is acquired not alone through practice but through the combination of study and experience" - P. Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I use a .450" just like .455 Webley.
    Do you paper patch or lube yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Argentino View Post
    IIRC, the 71 single shot model has a bigger bore dia. (between grooves) than the 71/84 repeater.

Lyman 446110 may work better for the repeater but anyway I would measure the bore dia. at the muzzle before buying a mold.

If you take a look at the left side of the semi-octagonal part of the barrel near to where it meets the receiver you should find a number in mm. (something like 11,1 or so). Thatīs the bore dia. (between lands) of your particular rifle. Or at least thatīs what it was when it left the factory over 100+ years ago.

Argie.
    The bore on mine is quite nice, like a mirror so I would assume it's pretty close to the size on barrel. But I will slug for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Argentino View Post

Argie.
    I just checked mine and is it stamped 10.95

Boolit Grand Master
    I lube them to fill the grease grooves so the driving bands won't collapse when I size them down so much.