WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: taurus thunderbolt question

Boolit Master

taurus thunderbolt question

I was digging around in my gun safe the other day and found a "looks like new" Taurus Thunderbolt, the seller thought he like it, then decided a pump action rifle wasn't what he really needed, or wanted. It was mixed in my all my leverguns, my wife said "What's that? It looks different." I didn't even remember I had purchased it. My question is .... how heavily can you load these? For me, it'll be standard 45 Colt loads, I was just wondering about the strength of these actions in 45 colt. If I really need the whomp and stomp, I'll use my lever gun in 454 casull.

I haven't fired it yet, but the action seems pretty smooth and slick, even after reading a couple of horror stories about these. It seems like people either love 'em or hate 'em.
    Boolit weight suggestions?
    Boolit design considerations or max OAL?
    I'll probably use it for black powder only, thoughts?
    I've been thinking about a peep sight on the tang (old eyes, ya know)
    Input, anyone?

Thanks,
    Larry

Boolit Grand Master
    Never shot one, the one I had in my hands felt awful heavy compared to my Marlin 1894CB. Maybe best compared to an 1873 Winchester of comparable length?

No real idea as to strength, but considering they were meant for cowboy shooters; I for one wouldn't push it much past factory load levels. If I were to get one, I think I would get a RNFP with a crimp groove of ~250 grains and start there.

One thing about using BP, no chance of an overload. The only thing is how hard is it to take down to clean the interior of the action.

Good Luck with it,

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    You should have no problems with Cowboy Action loads. I wouldn't shoot any hi-po. or +P.

Dave

Banned

owned one back in the day for a short time. Only thing it would feed was round nosed bullets and even they werent butter smooth.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Boolit weight suggestions?
    Boolit design considerations or max OAL?
    Lyman 454190 RNFP, 255gr
    1.55 COAL
    ANY LIGHTNING has to be pumped with equal complete force - chambering and extracting... they cannot be babied
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Lyman 454190 RNFP, 255gr
    1.55 COAL
    ANY LIGHTNING has to be pumped with equal complete force - chambering and extracting... they cannot be babied
    That's good to know. I was hoping to use some black powder loads, just because I can. I thought it would be fun in the fall to pack around while deer hunting, the place where I hunt has gotten pretty thick since '67 when I first started hunting that area. It was logged in '65, the roads have been impassable since '72-'73, and nobody wants to walk anymore. Access through my property gets you about a mile and a half closer than anyone else, but it's still a walk-in, pack-em-out hunt. The access from the edge of my land is uphill hiking in, a downhill pack going out, 50-75 yard shots would probably be the longest you would get in most places. At 71, an uphill pack going out isn't near as much fun as it used to be. (neither is a downhill pack going out)