RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Skeeter Basics .44 Special

Boolit Mold

Skeeter Basics .44 Special

Getting back to Skeeter basics. All steel Ruger flat top Bisley in 44 Special with a set of claro walnut Chigs Grips. Chamber throats are a consistent .431. Barrel is free of constrictions. I took it apart and polished everything and installed new springs. Action is now butter smooth.
    Performance is 1050 FPS with a .431 240 grain flat point over 8 grains of N32c (Tin Star). Burns clean with no black mess. Almost completely fills the .44 Special case. Accuracy is excellent.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Very nice...outstanding caliber. I've never encountered a Bisley gripped Ruger over the years, but some claim that type grip handles moderate to heavy recoil better than the plow grip models. Good lookin' grips you've got there! I too, like a set of dressed up wood stocks on my handguns. After all life's too short to tote an ugly pistola!

Currently, I have a trio of Ruger Flat Top .44 Specials: two 4-5/8" models (one's a stainless) and a 5-1/2" bbl'd one. I much prefer the shorter tubes for carry here on our farm and find no real difference in accuracy attributable to the longer bbl. I also have a Smith M24 with a 6-1/2" bbl. that's the best of the lot as far as accuracy is concerned. Using Skelton's original load (240 gr LSWC backed by 7.5 gr. of Unique, or ~7 gr. of Win 231 for ~950 fps from a 4-5/8" bbl.) the Smith will keep all six in a bit less than 2" at 25 yds with 74+ yo eyes doing the steering. I really like its superb trigger and good balance on the range or hunting from a stand, but it's just too long for all-day carry in the field.

I've shot literally thousands of Lyman's 429421 over the years as well as Mihec's copy (432-256?) of the H&G 503. I especially like Mihec's version for it's variety of HP pins...the pentas being the most accurate for me and my loads. They'll open well when shot into water above 1000 fps and with a WW/Pb ratio of 50/50.

A great bullet of equal merit, and generating somewhat less recoil, is Lyman's 429215gc...a fine bullet for most any purpose...and especially so if you want to push the muzzle vel. up towards 1200 fps. It's my favorite bullet, for day in, day out carry, and I load it using 6.5 gr of Win 231 for 984 fps in the short bbl'd Rugers. Too, it's equally accurate without the GC...a nice option in these time of scarcity! For both the Rugers and my Smith, I size ACWW + 1% tin alloyed bullets to 0.430+". This size works very well in all my .44's, but is a cpl thousandths too small for my Marlin .44 Magnum (0.432+" is needed for the carbine).

Pic below is one of the 4-5/8" Flat Tops that I re-stocked in Claro if memory serves. An all day project, but worth it, as they sure are pretty with a tung oil finish. The stainless 4-5/8" I stocked in black & white ebony, provided by a bow making cousin. Tung is the finish on this one as well.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum...Rod in KY

Last edited by Rodfac; 04-19-2021 at 09:29 PM.
    Rod

Boolit Master

Nice looking flattops there and in a great caliber! Been looking at a Bisley too, but with today’s COVID prices, I can wait. My flattop is a stainless 4 5/8” that Doug honed the cylinders. Great shooting pistol.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Good gun, good caliber and yes, the bisley grip frame handles recoil so well.

Banned
    Those are some nice Ruger's and some beautiful grips.

When loaded to its real potential (Skeeter load) the 44 Special leaves nothing to be desired. That may be one of the most "all-around" cartridges to be found. Plenty of energy, capable of excellent accuracy, outstanding terminal performance and the recoil isn't punishing.

With a relatively soft SWC, and velocity in the 900-1000 fps range, that bullet is just about the perfect combination for the caliber.

While I'm not much of a single action revolver guy (don't dislike them, just not my thing) the Ruger Blackhawk is the pinnacle of that type, IMO. Strong, accurate, good sights, strong, reliable, durable....did I mention it was strong ?

A 44 Special with loaded to where it should be, will handle about 95% of what a 44 caliber is called upon to do. The other 5% is the realm of the 44 Magnum, and frankly, at that point a rifle starts to look better to me.

I use the RCBS 44-250-K bullet in my 44 loads but the Lyman version of the bullet is a pretty close twin.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Ruger dream gun would be a medium frame flat top (either grip shape) chambered for six rounds of 327 Fed Mag and a second cylinder holding six of 32-20. I’m confident that Skeeter would have approved.

Froggie

PS It would have to have mesquite grips to make it “Skeeter Perfect”!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Yes the Skeeter load or the Brian Pierce load of the same bullet over 8.2 of Power Pistol is hard to beat. Nice Flat tops........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    My Ruger dream gun would be a medium frame flat top (either grip shape) chambered for six rounds of 327 Fed Mag and a second cylinder holding six of 32-20. I’m confident that Skeeter would have approved.

Froggie

I've been contemplating just such a conversion

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

Froggie

Greenie, I bought such a gun off an auction site after a heads up on the Single Action Forum. Built by Harton it is a 32-20 and .32 S&W long. It needs a .327 reamer run into the chambers............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

My 5.5" Blued Flattop .44 Special has a set of Colt SAA Pachmayr grips. They don't fit quite perfectly, but they work beautifully! Total comfort and control!

My 4 5/8" SS Flattop .44 Special is as issued. I have learned to shoot it with my little finger tucked under the butt in classic fashion. It is a "Perfect Packing Pistol" (as per John Taffin) and is a pleasure to use in the field. I wish it had been available fifty years ago (:>)):

I use the Skeeter load mostly, but also have great confidence in the Group Buy 200 gr. dbl. ended W/C for small game, etc.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Dale,

That is one great looking piece! And I agree, wouldn't that have been great 50 years ago.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I agree with everything you said................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek