Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about .327 Mag's

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    No piercing here either. That is a problem with the gun, not the primer or load.
    I agree .
    I wonder if Ruger does something different with the firing pin on 327 to make them work with small rifle primers.
    But apparently they don't all do it . I just got lucky
    The single seven and sp101 in 327 are the only two Rugers I have had that pierce primers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Attachment 281760 And here ya go. I only have 1500 or so left.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I agree .
    I wonder if Ruger does something different with the firing pin on 327 to make them work with small rifle primers.
    But apparently they don't all do it . I just got lucky
    The single seven and sp101 in 327 are the only two Rugers I have had that pierce primers.
    The firing pins are identical. I seem to recall the hammer springs are stronger than the 357 magnum's. I could be wrong. I put a 10# hammer spring in my GP100, and it sets off small rifle primers with zero failures. The only handgun I had that pierced primers was a 41 magnum blackhawk. A new firing pin fixed it.

Boolit Mold
    Had same issue shooting factory rounds. Started to etch the metal surrounding the firing pin. Then started rolling my own and havent had a peircing since. Think maybe some thin metal primers got out of the factory ?

Boolit Mold
    Yeh, i forgot that i too changed to lighter springs, no problem since.

Boolit Master
    The firing pins are identical. I seem to recall the hammer springs are stronger than the 357 magnum's. I could be wrong. I put a 10# hammer spring in my GP100, and it sets off small rifle primers with zero failures. The only handgun I had that pierced primers was a 41 magnum blackhawk. A new firing pin fixed it.
    I have lighter springs in both . And in the sp101 I have stoned the end of the FP to blunt the tip and shorten it a tiny bit and it did not pierce the last trip but I need to test more for function . If all is good I will do the same to the single seven if not I may have to send them back to Ruger for them to fix. I like both guns they are fun to shoot and new shooters really seem to enjoy them.
    Thanks for the suggestions .

Boolit Master
    I've got the big ole Blackhawk, three single sevens (the Bisley is my favorite), a Taurus stubby, a S&W 632 (great gun), both sp101s, and a Henry lever rifle. I'd say I like them 327s! The worse thing is the bark, but it's still not as bad as a 357, the best thing is the bite for the amount of powder and lead you use! Probably overkill for critters a 22 will stop, but big coons and coyotes can attest to its effectiveness! All mine are very accurate as well!

Woops, I plum forgot about the two GP100s!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Attachment 281760 And here ya go. I only have 1500 or so left.
    That’s what I’ve used for virtually all of my 327 loads in the Blackhawk 327 and the S&W Stainless K. As I said, no piercing, even with serious loads. I vote for hammer nose shape to be the source for everyone who is having problems.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 04-24-2021 at 06:36 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I only have one 327, a FA97, and it can be a picky thing. I will say that it will be with me until I no longer have any guns. I learned what it likes and have more or less stuck to 2 MP molds and 2 powders. It likes a GC Sledgehammer with either AA9 or HS6 best and the 115 grain GC 314-640 almost as well with the same powders. Primers typically will be Federal 200's.

My 327 isn't any louder than my FA83 in 357. So yeah it's loud, especially with AA9. Accuracy with it isn't one bit better than the above mentioned FA83.

Boolit Master

Fa97 are a bit pricey to be picky...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Fa97 are a bit pricey to be picky...
    In my experience, all of my FA's have very tight throats and I'm a cast bullet shooter. For the more normal sized versions (357, 44, 45) I could just shoot jacketed as there are so many to choose from. The little 32's give me no choices of jacketed beyond 100 grains.

My comment about picky has to do with what cast bullets fit those snug chambers. The little revolver is as ridiculously accurate as it's bigger safe mates. I've never really tried what would be considered a light load in it but I'm sure it would shine there too.

I haven't found Starline brass to be a problem but I did anneal them after the third firing as they were hard. I have lost a few to split necks but the annealing seemed to stop that along with smooth seating of the cast bullets. I do have 300 pieces of Federal standing by but won't use them until the Starline is done.

After playing with the 327 for a couple years, I've found it to be very accurate and very fast. In my experience the 327 likes to run at about 7/8 throttle using GC's. Brian Pearce's article has been referred to (I've read it many times and keep it handy) and I also agree with his theory about powders (faster than magnum powders performing better). Mine shoots slightly better with AA9 than H110 and AA9 can be backed off, which I have done with great results. HS6 is also wonderfully accurate but that's not a surprise. I haven't had as much luck with Longshot but if I were to get serious with LS I don't doubt it would shine too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    That’s what I’ve used for virtually all of my 327 loads in the Blackhawk 327 and the S&W Stainless K. As I said, no piercing, even with serious loads. I vote for hammer nose shape to be the source for everyone who is having problems.

Froggie
    Agreed.. Pierced primers in spec loads usually is a gun issue.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    In my experience, all of my FA's have very tight throats and I'm a cast bullet shooter. For the more normal sized versions (357, 44, 45) I could just shoot jacketed as there are so many to choose from. The little 32's give me no choices of jacketed beyond 100 grains.

My comment about picky has to do with what cast bullets fit those snug chambers. The little revolver is as ridiculously accurate as it's bigger safe mates. I've never really tried what would be considered a light load in it but I'm sure it would shine there too.

I haven't found Starline brass to be a problem but I did anneal them after the third firing as they were hard. I have lost a few to split necks but the annealing seemed to stop that along with smooth seating of the cast bullets. I do have 300 pieces of Federal standing by but won't use them until the Starline is done.

After playing with the 327 for a couple years, I've found it to be very accurate and very fast. In my experience the 327 likes to run at about 7/8 throttle using GC's. Brian Pearce's article has been referred to (I've read it many times and keep it handy) and I also agree with his theory about powders (faster than magnum powders performing better). Mine shoots slightly better with AA9 than H110 and AA9 can be backed off, which I have done with great results. HS6 is also wonderfully accurate but that's not a surprise. I haven't had as much luck with Longshot but if I were to get serious with LS I don't doubt it would shine too.
    I pretty much only shoot cast as well. I like having good bore fill.. If a too tight chamber would make me shoot undersized lead..id have them opened up so they aren't undersizing my good fit projectiles. No reason to have a 2700$ gun do that. My MR73 certainly doesn't undersized my cast loads..id be peeved if it did at that price.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a hankering for a .327 for the last year or more. Recently the opportunity presented itself to buy a Ruger Blackhawk for a (by today's standard) decent price so I snatched it up. The 3" SP101 had also caught my eye and a couple of days ago another "right deal" presented itself and it should be here on Friday.
    Due to bullets that I already have on hand I'm looking for more load data for some plain base 98gr SWC and LRN's (plain base). I have Brian Pierce's article from 2009 but it sounds like there is another from a much more recent publication. Does anyone have it in PDF format and/or other data for these bullets?

Boolit Master

Spq01 are great.

Boolit Master
    DH...what configuration is your FA 97?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    I've had a hankering for a .327 for the last year or more. Recently the opportunity presented itself to buy a Ruger Blackhawk for a (by today's standard) decent price so I snatched it up. The 3" SP101 had also caught my eye and a couple of days ago another "right deal" presented itself and it should be here on Friday.
    Due to bullets that I already have on hand I'm looking for more load data for some plain base 98gr SWC and LRN's (plain base). I have Brian Pierce's article from 2009 but it sounds like there is another from a much more recent publication. Does anyone have it in PDF format and/or other data for these bullets?
    Did you get the 8 Shot Blackhawk? That’s what I have and it’s a Stud Hoss! I can use it as my test gun and feel safe that I won’t overstress it shooting anything I would want to put in it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, sir, they're not all that easy to find.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    DH...what configuration is your FA 97?
    5.5" fluted, Black Micarta, action job, and until a week or so ago it wore a Trijicon SRO 1 MOA dot sight. Right now it has a Leupold 2.5-8 on it because, well because I could. It might be a little top heavy....

Boolit Master
    @GooseGestapo, I had never considered that bullet before, but that is about what I would think would work good for a light bullet. Lots of bearing surface, and a good front driving band. That drops over .314" for you? It seems my various Lee 309 molds drop around .311", and I don't think any drop that big.
    I “beagled” the mold to throw .314”. However, with the energetic load, it seems to obturate adequately even at.311”. Another good load is 10.0gr of #2400.
    Rough chambers, tight throats, and thread choke in the barrel took a lot of “elbow” grease to over come.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast