WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about .327 Mag's

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Anyone else have problems with pierced primers in an SP101? Mine pierced primers. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced some parts. Still makes extra deep primers strikes.
    Both of mine do it a single seven and the sp101.
    I did a light stoning on the tip of the firing pin of the sp101 and it did not pierce the last time I took it out.
    But need to test it a bit more before I say it is fixed.

Boolit Master
    I like my 327s a lot they both shoot good and are versatile hard hitting 32s. But I mainly shoot 100 grain bullets at 850 to 1000 FPS from them. From my 4.2" sp101 the the federal 100 grain sp is well over 1500 FPS and the discontinued Speer 115 jhp are well ove 1400 FPS so it is quite peppy for a 32

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Anyone else have problems with pierced primers in an SP101? Mine pierced primers. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced some parts. Still makes extra deep primers strikes.
    Small pistol or small rifle????

Some load data with some powders indicates the use of small rifle primers.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Yesterday I looked up the loading data that is on the net and I must say that the velocities achievable are unbelievable! And in only 2-4 inch barrels! Like a lot of you say, that .32 H&R vel is enough for you, it still is pretty snappy too. I'd probably load most of it at those velocities if I had one.

Like I said, I have some .22 revolvers that were made surplus when I bought my S&W Mod 41 with both barrels. A Mod 17 8", a Mod 17-6 6" and a Colt Diamondback 6". Bet I could sell any one of those to by an Sp-101 and a mold for for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Small pistol or small rifle????

Some load data with some powders indicates the use of small rifle primers.
    Small pistol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post
    Yesterday I looked up the loading data that is on the net and I must say that the velocities achievable are unbelievable! And in only 2-4 inch barrels! Like a lot of you say, that .32 H&R vel is enough for you, it still is pretty snappy too. I'd probably load most of it at those velocities if I had one.

Like I said, I have some .22 revolvers that were made surplus when I bought my S&W Mod 41 with both barrels. A Mod 17 8", a Mod 17-6 6" and a Colt Diamondback 6". Bet I could sell any one of those to by an Sp-101 and a mold for for it.
    If you sell the Diamondback you could buy a nice used truck to haul your sp101 home in

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post

The round is no joke. I shot a full grown whitetail buck with my 5" GP100 that went down on the spot. Sure, it looses velocity in shorter barrels, but it is still quite powerful. The 327 Federal was originally introduced in shorter barrel SP101's as a self defense cartridge. It offered very impressive performance close to a lot of the more mild 357 magnum ammo, yet allows 6 shots in the same gun. Revolvers were not super popular at the time, which I think was 2008-2009, but the cartridge was, and continues to be popular for what it was designed for. It offers 6 shots of decent firepower in a small package.

In the longer barrels, it can be a real speed demon, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will shoot good. The Federal 100gr SP load shoots well in any gun I ever tried it in. The 85 gr version on the other hand is utter garbage. The problem I see with the lighter 32 caliber bullet molds is that they were intended for lower velocities. I think it probable a lighter bullet could work, but I would want as much bearing surface as I could get on it, a gas check, and a decent length front driving band. An example would the the Accurate 31-110H. I would add a crimp groove, and give it a gas check shank, and I would think that general design could work well.

One thing a number of us have found, including Brian Pierce of Handloader magazine, is that there are many loads that can give high extreme spreads for velocity. Brian found the best fix was trying different primers, which does work. I found a big issue was poor quality Starline brass, which had poor or non-existent annealing. I could feel as I seated bullets, one would slip right in, and the next would really squeeze in there. If you can feel it in the press handle, you know the problem is REALLY bad. In my case, I got rid of every single Starline case I had, some 2000 or so of them, and bought all brand new Federal brand cases. The Federal brass is fantastic, and the lengths are better too. I did side by side accuracy tests, and the Federal brass cut groups in half in some instances.

You will see some discussion on primers. The original recommendation was only small rifle primers to handle 45,000 PSI. That is not the best way to go. The Federal 100 small pistol primer will show pressure signs sooner than any other small primer. You won't get to 45,000 PSI without them flattening. I use them in most of my loads, which run under that, and they generally produce the best accuracy for me. The CCI 500 small pistol is a good choice, and will handle 45,000 PSI well. I have yet to have a small rifle primer shoot as well as a small pistol primer. When a magnum primer is needed, like with H110 powder, I like to use a small pistol magnum like the Federal 200. I have not had any issues with primers piercing. I've owned an LCR, two SP101's, a GP100, and a Henry rifle, as well as having shot a single seven quite a bit, and all of them are a non-issue. The one thing I have had is my SP101 does flatten primers more than my GP100, and my LCR and Henry are somewhere between those two. I don't know why, but that is one thing to keep in mind when loading ammo. I see a lot of reports of flattened primers with less than max loads. Primers are a terrible pressure indicator alone. I recommend you try factory ammo, and see how much those primers flatten, before you write off your starting load handload as high pressure.

There are better people than I for data on lower velocity loads. There's lots of data out there on 32 H&R. I sure hope those guns could buy you an SP101. I think I paid $650 for the 4.2" SP101 a couple years ago, but I can only imagine what they are today. Especially with todays market, go with a mold from a custom maker like Accurate, NOE, Aresenal, etc. Don't mess around with the production brands like Lee, Lyman, et al.

Boolit Master
    My .327 is a Ruger Single-7 w/5.5”bbl. It’s been a struggle, but It’s finally giving me what I wanted/expected.
    It’s a reloaders dream, and necessity. Besides, I finally discovered a load it REALLY likes and couldn’t be more pleased.
    It’s the Lee 113gr FNGC sized to .314” with crimp on gas check and SPG lube. Over 13.0 of H110 and Small rifle primers it gets 1,300fps and at 50’ shoots cloverleafs.
    I recently picked up a Taurus Mod 76 in .32H&R mag. It’s good to go out of the box.
    I may have it reamed to .327 because it’s capable.
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 04-20-2021 at 08:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Lefty, my apologies.

Sharp reports (noise) is usually noticed the most by folks who do not wear hearing protection. I haven't found the .327, or the often noticed .30 Carbine Blackhawks to be an issue with noise or a sharp report etc when good hearing protection is used.

And I've taught ladies to enjoy these calibers/guns without them complaining of the noise.

Boolit Master
    I would like one in a double action revolver with a 6" barrel. Too bad Smith is being so stodgy about clambering for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I would like one in a double action revolver with a 6" barrel. Too bad Smith is being so stodgy about clambering for it.
    It is available in a 6" barrel GP100. S&W would just dork it up anyway, likely with a Hilary hole, and crappy EDM rifling.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Lefty, my apologies.

Sharp reports (noise) is usually noticed the most by folks who do not wear hearing protection. I haven't found the .327, or the often noticed .30 Carbine Blackhawks to be an issue with noise or a sharp report etc when good hearing protection is used.

And I've taught ladies to enjoy these calibers/guns without them complaining of the noise.
    I've had no issues either, even the few shots I've taken without ear protection. It is loud, same as any magnum. I doubt you could ever tell a 357 magnum from a 327 Federal side by side. It's not noise for nothing. That is the cost of an extra 400-500 fps over the 32 H&R.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 04-20-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

@GooseGestapo, I had never considered that bullet before, but that is about what I would think would work good for a light bullet. Lots of bearing surface, and a good front driving band. That drops over .314" for you? It seems my various Lee 309 molds drop around .311", and I don't think any drop that big.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use Winchester SPMP's or CCI 500's, exclusively in this cartridge nowadays. Remington and Standard Winchester primers are pierced very often as are Federal Match SPP's. Hard primers work the best.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=rintinglen;5173198]I use Winchester SPMP's or CCI 500's, exclusively in this cartridge nowadays. Remington and Standard Winchester primers are pierced very often as are Federal Match SPP's. Hard primers work the best.[/QUOTE
    This may be my problem I use mainly WW primers that may be a big part of my problem . I even get pierced on low pressure loads Ike 32 S&W in my 327 revolvers.

Boolit Master

I sure like mine.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I have the 4.2" SP-101.

It does pierce regular pistol primers at just above 32 H&R power level. Small pistol magnum let me get to 80% of book max velocity without piercing. My gun will not reliably set off small rifle primers.

I made some custom NLG molds.

I have a 55 gr that I lube with BLL. A light charge of titegroup under it makes for a dirt cheap "22 alternate". I have sent many thousands of these little bullets downrange.

My 78 gr with PC and 4.7 Promo (~1200 fps) makes a nice mid range load that is snappy, but not unpleasant.

My 85 gr with PC and enough SW Heavy Pistol for just over 1400 fps shoots good and sounds about like a 357 mag. Even though this is only around 80% of book max, it is enough for my liking.

I also work up a couple of heavy loads with a 110 gr. I just did not like shooting the 110s.

I recently replaced the factory grips with a Pachmayr grip. Much better feel when shooting shout loads.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-0248.../dp/B00URUEIG0.

Boolit Grand Master
    Re: pierced primers. I use Winchester SPPs. AFAIK, they advertise a “one size fits all” SPP, with no distinction between those for standard or magnum rounds. Regardless, I’ve never had one pierced in 327, including a few I grossly overloaded. I got some serious flattening, but none were pierced. YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

No piercing here either. That is a problem with the gun, not the primer or load.

Boolit Grand Master
    All 3 of my single sevens will puncture a standard WW SP at loads approaching top end. They do not pierce CCI 500 nor WMSP. Brian Pearce noted this in his article in the February 2017 (2016?) issue of Handloader.

PS. I'll post a picture of the WMSP sleeve after a while--I have honey-dews to deal with first.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 04-25-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast