Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tell me about .327 Mag's

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    Yes, sir, they're not all that easy to find.
    Prior to the Blackhawk Eight Shooter there was also a six shot Blackhawk 32 H&R built with a second cylinder in 32-20. I’ve heard of several of those having their H&R cylinders reamed out to 327 FM. It was a part of a special run sold through the now-defunct Buckeye Sports. I wish I had kept the (unaltered) one I sold many years ago. Yes, I would have had it reamed!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Prior to the Blackhawk Eight Shooter there was also a six shot Blackhawk 32 H&R built with a second cylinder in 32-20. I’ve heard of several of those having their H&R cylinders reamed out to 327 FM. It was a part of a special run sold through the now-defunct Buckeye Sports. I wish I had kept the (unaltered) one I sold many years ago. Yes, I would have had it reamed!

Froggie
    Yeah, I've kinda been watching out for one of those as well, but they are a bit pricy when you do find one.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 8 shot Blackhawk, having also fired the Single Seven version I think if I were to do it again I would buy the smaller framed gun. The bark is like the 30 Carbine Rugers. It's quick to get a bullet to 100 yards, at least for a pistol. It's quite a step up from the 32 H&R at least with the factory equivalent loads. The only real equals are a hot loaded 32-20 or the 30 Carbine.

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorite 327 FM performance story involves the Federal high performance loads, the ones with jacketed base and a lot of exposed lead hollow point and the little teat of lead in the HP cavity. I shot one of these at a liter sized plastic soda bottle full of water at a distance of about 10 yds. As expected, I got explosive effects, but I was amazed when I picked up what was left of the bottle and it rattled. When I looked inside I found the bullet expanded to about double diameter, perfectly round.

Can you imagine the hydrostatic shock of that bullet expanding and shedding all of its momentum in just that liter of water?

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    I have the two Buckeye Blackhawks, 10mm/38-40 and 32H&R/32-20. Have often thought of reaming the 10mm to 10mm Mag and the 32H&R to 327 Mag, but since these are limited production guns I can't bring myself to do it. If I want hot loads in the 10mm/38-40 I just use +P 200 grain loads in the 10mm cylinder (1,300 fps) and in the 32H&R/32-20 I use the old HV loads in the 32-20 cylinder and toss the brass after 2 reloads. More than enough speed in both guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    I have the two Buckeye Blackhawks, 10mm/38-40 and 32H&R/32-20. Have often thought of reaming the 10mm to 10mm Mag and the 32H&R to 327 Mag, but since these are limited production guns I can't bring myself to do it. If I want hot loads in the 10mm/38-40 I just use +P 200 grain loads in the 10mm cylinder (1,300 fps) and in the 32H&R/32-20 I use the old HV loads in the 32-20 cylinder and toss the brass after 2 reloads. More than enough speed in both guns.
    Perhaps you could just find 2 other BH cylinders and have them reamed/fitted to your guns? Might cost a little more but you would retain all of the collector's value and enjoy the flexibility of the other calibers at the same time. Seems to me it could be a huge selling point if you ever decided to part with them down the road, too. Win-win, for a price, of course.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post
    I have the 8 shot Blackhawk, having also fired the Single Seven version I think if I were to do it again I would buy the smaller framed gun. The bark is like the 30 Carbine Rugers. It's quick to get a bullet to 100 yards, at least for a pistol. It's quite a step up from the 32 H&R at least with the factory equivalent loads. The only real equals are a hot loaded 32-20 or the 30 Carbine.
    If you are in Texas I would trade my Single Seven for the Blackhawk.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=LeadHead72;5179931]Perhaps you could just find 2 other BH cylinders and have them reamed/fitted to your guns? Might cost a little more but you would retain all of the collector's value and enjoy the flexibility of the other calibers at the same time. Seems to me it could be a huge selling point if you ever decided to part with them down the road, too.

Maybe I'll check on that, but I think it would be hard to find a 32 caliber cylinder for the full sized Blackhawk. The 10mm could be done on a 9mm or 357 cylinder which are available. A 30 Carbine cylinder may work but I would have to compare dimensional drawings to be sure.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve seen it written that the current Blackhawk 30 Carbine cylinder will take a 32-20 round with no alteration, but it would already be too big at the base for a 327... you can’t “ream it smaller.”

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/new...eply&p=5179997

Nope Montana, oddly enough your the second person to suggest that. A member on Art and Science of Bullet Casting also liked the idea but nothing ever came of it. I like the 32's alot. I've always said the most un American thing about me is I don't particularly care for 30 caliber rifles but think that 30 caliber (32's) pistols are pretty neat. I have one of the Ruger Single Sixes in 32 H&R that I thought about getting a cylinder for and rechambering but it's my understanding that Ruger made the cylinder window a bit larger for the 327 Federal. Like Green Frog my first target with the 327 Federal was food related, a can of Sour Kraut that we forgot the can opener for. Used the Federal American Eagle load, didn't find the bullet but the can sure did open.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I got to pick up the SP-101 today. The finishing touch is the fact it came with the Crimson Trace LG-303 grip which seems appropriate for a 3-inch model. Pretty sure I'm gonna like this outfit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP101.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	282222

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234