WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about .327 Mag's

Boolit Buddy

Tell me about .327 Mag's

I haven't bought a new gun in ~30 years and have been wondering about the 327 Mag as a pistol cartridge. I shoot .38/.357 and find them to be fine, but maybe a .327 might be lower recoil and lighter for a hi vel load? Not being a fan of SA I was looking at the Ruger SP-101 and it looks like a "Kit Gun" with promise? I've got a couple of .22 revolvers in excess and might just work a swap out for them.

How are they with cast boolets, 90-125 gr?

Boolit Grand Master

They are great, however, I think the cartridge is at it's best with bullets 120 to 150 grains. The lighter bullets are fine, especially with lighter loads, but accuracy can be tricky with the the velocity you can get. With a 90 grain bullet and H110, I wouldn't be surprised if you are looking at 1700+ FPS in the 4.2" SP101. The Federal 100gr factory load runs around 1650 fps. You definately want gas checks on any bullet under 120 grains, if you intend to load to full power. With heavier bullets, plain base shoots great. One of my favorite loads is a 137 grain plain base SWC at 1225 fps. Nice and pleasant to shoot in the SP101, and shoots good at longer ranges too.

I think the 327 federal and the SP101 are the best possible combination you can get. It is hefty enough recoil is not a big concern, yet is very compact, and still has 6 shots. The cylinder is plenty long too, unlike the super restrictive single seven. The one and only drawback to the SP101 is the complete lack of a field or target style grip. There is not a single one out there, every one is on the small side, intended for concealed carry. I have been hearing a possibility that the longer LCRX grip may fit. I intend to try one and see myself it they work.

Boolit Master

My 327 is an sp101. Love it. It's shot more cast than jacketed and does fine.

I shoot the entire family.. 32acp 32short long HR mag etc.

A while back I got a 32hrmag charter arms ' 'professional'... Loved it... Started looming for a 327 immediately. My next fav is 38/357. The 32s are so easy to handle.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know anything about the Ruger SP101. I do know that I think my Single 7 .327 is the caterpillar's spats. I shoot 98 grain bullets--with gas checks--so I have never had a problem with a restrictive cylinder. But I sense the original poster is looking for something more light and compact. I would not recommend this caliber to anyone who does not handload.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have come close to getting some guns in .327 more than once....one is not enough to meet my requirement for redundancy.

But with four revolvers in .38/.357 and three rifles, there is very little incentive to do so. If recoil is a reason, I can download .357’s. I do not need light loads past 50 yards, and 125-130 gr bullets in .38 cases address that need.

Nothing “wrong” with the .327, but, at least for me, no good reason to add it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    What about sizing dia and molds? I'm not sure I'd shoot a lot of Hot ammo but like the opportunity to if I wanted to.

Boolit Master
    Well, I have a few .327's myself. Including a SP-101.
    When they first came out with the 32 H&R mag,, I didn't think much of it. I wondered "why?" Well, I got one, shot it, and was glad to be proven wrong. It caused me to jump when the 327 came out.
    Low recoil, easy to handload for, and as noted,, a killed on small game.
    And in a .327,, you can shoot the .32 Short, .32 Long, .32 H&R Mag, and the .327.
    What's not to like?

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have one but my buddies that have them love them. In these parts .327 handguns are easy to find. Loaded ammo, brass, bullets, dies or molds not so much.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    I have a GP (great pistol) 100 4' barrel, and i love it. It just fits my hand. Been working up some loads in the 135 ,140 gr. range. Love to shoot it , but never forget your ear protection . very hard on unprotected ears.

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day All , I have a few a GP 100 4" a T/C encore 10" and a 20" barrel Henry lever action and love them all I had a single seven but it was a pain to load so it went down the road but along with my .32 H&R mag contender I will always have them .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Master

I never warmed up to the 327. I love the 32H&R, but the 327 just seemed a lot of noise for nothing. That seemed to be the main complaint of anyone with shot it, the sharp report. Much like a 357 out of short barrels. I down loaded, but then I ended up with a 32H&R load. So just keep the shorter 32.

Like Paul, my 32H&R TC will never leave!

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    "That seemed to be the main complaint of anyone with shot it, the sharp report."

As a RSO, I always say "Safety equipment is required. Eye & ear protection a must."

Anyone else have problems with pierced primers in an SP101? Mine pierced primers. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced some parts. Still makes extra deep primers strikes.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

A "kit gun" is exactly why I bought my SP101. Of course it is chambered for 327 Fed Mag, but as I reload I typically keep my loads for it in the 32 H&R Mag and 32-20 range. They have gotten the job done for everything I have wanted to use it for including one close range pig shot. If I needed them for something bigger I'd put in full-house loads.

Liked it so well I bought a 20" Henry to complete the pair.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    My fondness (dare I say “Love”?) for the 327 FM is a matter of record here. Unfortunately, neither of the examples I have had are readily available today. The first one I found was the short lived (production, not endurance) Ruger Blackhawk 327 Eight Shooter. With full power Magnum loads it is a ground stomping, rip snorting stud horse of a gun. I consider it safe for anything I would want to load into it and shoot by hand.

Next came a custom stainless K frame gun built on a well used Model 66 platform with rebored Model 617 cylinder and 4” barrel (with full under lug.) This one is a bit more refined and genteel, but can still wake you right up when it goes off. I’ve compared felt recoil from the 327 to something between that of a 38 Special +P and a standard 357 Magnum, but louder with loadings I’ve tried. Two of my friends who are sensitive to concussion have had to move away when I unleashed a cylinder full of 327s.

As has been stated previously in this thread, revolvers with the 327 chambering will handle cartridges in 32 ACP, 32 S&W and S&W Long, and 32 H&R (which I refuse to label “magnum.”) This chamber will not accept a 32-20 cartridge, and a chamber in that configuration cannot be made to fit the 327s without bushing and starting over.

Truth to tell, I frequently enjoy shooting 32 S&W L in my custom Smith, as it has about the same recoil as a 22 LR, and until SP Primers got so expensive recently could be shot about as cheaply. I hope the primer “situation” comes back to “normal” soon.

I like the idea of a Henry lever action in 327, and if they’ll ever make it in the configuration I want, I’ll have to go into my Social Security income and buy one, even though it would mean peanut butter sandwiches and Ramen noodles for a while!

Green Frog

PS For further info about my custom 327 K frame, do a search here or on the S&W Forum for “Project 616.”
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Anyone else have problems with pierced primers in an SP101? Mine pierced primers. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced some parts. Still makes extra deep primers strikes.
    mine runs fine with any 32cal ammo... acp.. shorts, longs, hr full 327.. etc.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 4, A 4 1/4" SP101, and one each length of the Single Sevens. I had a Stainless 4 5/8 Blackhawk which was quite accurate, but much too heavy for the caliber. My brother liked it more than I so he owns it now. When they first hit town, they were crap: the actions were rough and most had the loading gate cut out made too shallowly, resulting in severe difficulty in loading. The brass case would actually be shaved as the cartridge was pushed into the chamber. Thankfully, Lipsey's got onto Ruger and later runs were better. My SP-101 has been fine since I got it. I think that had they left off the heavy barrel underlug, it would be the perfect Kit gun.

When it comes to the cartridge, I disagree with the big boolit advocates: the heaviest boolit I have used is a 311-465 which runs ~122 grains, but by far I have shot more 90-100 grain boolits. My view is that a 150 grain boolit belongs in a .357, not a .327. My favorites are the MP 314-640 and a 358-477 wannabee made by NEI. Both run about 100 grains, and have produced five shot, 1" 25 yard groups for me on occasion when loaded fairly warm over H-110. I have found that for lighter loads, the 32 H&R brass works better than reduced loads in 327 brass. Brian Pearce recommended Power Pistol, but I do not: it is a mediocre performer, reduced velocity and 2-3' groups at best. Longshot works well, as do the Bobbsey Twins, 296/H-110. Long-nosed boolits don't work in the Single Sevens, unless you artificially shorten them by deep seating them. The two on the right , the 311-008 and the otherwise excellent RCBS 32-98 SWC both share this drawback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3768 (1).jpg   003.jpg   005.jpg   011.jpg  
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    "That seemed to be the main complaint of anyone with shot it, the sharp report."

As a RSO, I always say "Safety equipment is required. Eye & ear protection a must."
    Funny, was wearing that when shooting. And didn’t even need someone to tell us. Don’t assume, cause you know what that makes out of you.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Bub
    not a big fan of the 327 fed mag. i started off with a single seven 5.5 barrel then a sp101 4.2 barrel then the lcr and then the henry 16.5 barrel now i have a 22" barrel on order with mgm for the contender. nope not a big fan at all i'am a huge fan of the 327 fed mag. i bet if you get one you will have others be for you know it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast