RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: 7.35 Carcano from 6.5 MS

7.35 Carcano from 6.5 MS

Just received Lee dies for 7.35 Carcano. As brass is not available, am trying to make some from PPU 6.5 x54 MS. Problem is cases stick in the sizing die and rim is pulled off. I'm using an RCBS #9 shell holder. The #2 shell holder supplied by Lee is the same as for 30/06 and is too big. Lee #24 (for 7.63x39) is too small.

Any suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master
    What are you using for case lube?

Robert

Banned
    Dig into your box of shell holders and find one that fits the best.

@2nd what case lube are you using?

I like to dip my case mouth in mica

I don't try to size the whole case with one stroke, work my way into it

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez: Slop on a lotta STP Oil Treatment for case lube.
    Get a closely fitting shell holder!!!

Boolit Master
    Hornady #21 seems to work for my brother's Modelo.
    Oops, hit send.
    Try fire forming first with the COW method (and here comes the COW method haters), then use imperial sizing wax and straight into your dies.
    We spent a box of primers and around 3oz of powder making brass for his "garage spec" sporter that I bought for his birthday one year, he still hasn't shot through the first 100 pieces made that way.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 04-19-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Using 3 case lubes: an old RCBS grease (which has worked well resizing 30/06 into 7.65x54,7.7x58and 7x57), Hornady Unique Case Lube, and Lee resizing lube.

The problem seems to be the dimensions of the 6.5 MS cases, .452" base and rim versus the original 7.35 .448" base and rim. I can force the MS cases into the resizing die (without decapper), but they must be removed with a punch and hammer. Trying to remove them with just the shell holder results in the rims being pulled off. Cases reformed in this manner will chamber, although tight. Bolt will close with resistance.

Original 7.35 cases will fit Lee #12 case holders, but not 6.5MS. The RCBS #9 gits the 6.5 MS cases, but is a bit larger than I would like as it is also listed for the 35 Remington. I plan to get the Hornady #20 and #21 shell holders if they can be found.

Not familiar with the COW method. Plan is to load a few and fire form, followed by neck sizing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul edward View Post
    Using 3 case lubes: an old RCBS grease (which has worked well resizing 30/06 into 7.65x54,7.7x58and 7x57), Hornady Unique Case Lube, and Lee resizing lube.

The problem seems to be the dimensions of the 6.5 MS cases, .452" base and rim versus the original 7.35 .448" base and rim. I can force the MS cases into the resizing die (without decapper), but they must be removed with a punch and hammer. Trying to remove them with just the shell holder results in the rims being pulled off. Cases reformed in this manner will chamber, although tight. Bolt will close with resistance.

Original 7.35 cases will fit Lee #12 case holders, but not 6.5MS. The RCBS #9 gits the 6.5 MS cases, but is a bit larger than I would like as it is also listed for the 35 Remington. I plan to get the Hornady #20 and #21 shell holders if they can be found.

Not familiar with the COW method. Plan is to load a few and fire form, followed by neck sizing.

Someone more knowledgeable than I will be along I'm sure.
    But..
    Primer, light load of your choice of fast burning powder, cotton/dacron/etc, cream of wheat (or similar) and a tuft of cotton / dacron / etc on top. Load and shoot in the desired chamber. Voila! You have a case!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Anytime you are sizing down close to the solid head of a case, it gets hard and the correct lube gets even more important. The best I have found is Imperial sizing wax for heavy duty case forming. Although plain old STP from the blue bottle works well for most things, I'd go ahead and buy a small tin of the Imperial.

It might be best to just push the cases into the die with a flat piece of steel (read washer) over the end of the ram, and drive them out with a punch, at least the first time.

Personally, I never had very good luck fireforming with Cream of Wheat. I always had better luck using a starting to mid range load and a real projectile. This also lets you do a bit of plinking while fireforming.

Good luck,

Robert

Robert:

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like you have been there. I noticed that the sizing gets harder for the last quarter inch. On the few that I was able to size, I needed to remove them with a punch. Imperial Sizing Wax has been added to my shopping list. Plan to load a few with a starting load of 28 grains of Ball(C)2 and a 128 gr Hornady bullet.

Paul

Range day update. The above listed load worked well. Although the bolt was a bit hard to close on these reformed cases, the empty cases extracted easily after firing. Will be interested to see if these cases are easier to resize.

Hello Paul,

You might need to turn your necks.
    When I formed 7.65x53 out of 30-06, mine chambered hard.
    Purchased an RCBS Neck Turning Tool, it's all history now.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    just buy 6.5 CARCANO brass and run them through the 7.35 dies and viola!!

Boolit Master

Paul,

Check you PMs.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    just buy 6.5 CARCANO brass and run them through the 7.35 dies and viola!!
    That was my second idea. Brass for the 6.5 Carcano was not available when I began this process. First idea was just buy 7.35 brass (Graf & Sons carries PPU brand brass) but that too was unavailable. Third idea was converting some original SMI 939 Berdan primed cases. That worked, but was a lot of work.

Boolit Master
    on the original BERDAN, cases that all seem to have primer crimps, I remove the primers with an RCBS, BERDAN DECAPPING TOOL, that I have had for 28 yrs, and after removal I take my UTICA, pocket knife and run it around the base to remove the crimps. then insert a BERDAN TULA PRIMER and VIOLA, you are good to go. I also do the same thing to 7.35 brass.

Boolit Master
    on other ones I drill out the primer pocket to except a BOXER PRIMER, also have been doing this for ever. give it a try. there are many ways to over come it.

My procedure for converting SMI Berdan cases to accept Boxer primers is:
    1. Chuck case in lathe, use center drill to remove old primer and create new flash hole.
    2. Enlarge and deepen primer pocket with primer crimp removal tool followed by primer pocket reamer.

To remove the step in the neck I use a neck reamer.

These reformed cases have been loaded, fired and worked well.

My procedure for converting SMI Berdan cases to accept Boxer primers is:
    1. Chuck case in lathe, use center drill to remove old primer and create new flash hole.
    2. Enlarge and deepen primer pocket with primer crimp removal tool followed by primer pocket reamer.

To remove the step in the neck I use a neck reamer.

These reformed cases have been loaded, fired and worked well.
    Looks like you own a lathe and know how to use it.

You may try turning the base down a couple of thousands from just above the extractor groove up to where the solid head ends, that may make the initial sizing much easier, you're not trying to swage down the solid head as much.