Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: 50/90 smokeless loads

Boolit Man

50/90 smokeless loads

If I reduce the case capacity of a 50/90 with wads under the bullet, can I use 50/70 data? I am going to make the capacity under the bullet and wads the same as a 50/70 with just a bullet. Using a cast 450gr. bullet, add the weight of the wads, reduce the load by 10% and work up.

Boolit Master
    The use of any case filling material is controversial at best. If you do a search in the different forums here you will find plenty of advise for and against it's use. Personally, I use both Dacron and wads when loading smokeless in large capacity cases originally intended for Black Powder. How to do so safely is the rub. I use enough Dacron or wads to completely fill the space rather tightly between the powder and the bullet, like wads in a shotshell. That way the filler does not become a separate projectile that slams into the base of the bullet when the round is fired. Others believe that the only safe way is to load a tiny amount to just hold the powder in place. Perhaps I've just been lucky but I have fired thousands of rounds loaded my way with never a problem. You will have to decide what method you want to use.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    Depending on the bullet, of course, you could just seat the bullet more deeply into the case and crimp over the ogive. I do it all the time in revolver cartridges, works great.