RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why do you love single shot guns?

I have posted this on a similar thread about single shots, I am just fascinated with all of the different actions that have been used to breech a single round. I collect them and like the more oddball types as long as they were well made and shootable. By far the majority of game that doesn’t fly I have taken with single shots because I just prefer using the many types I have. When I was younger I did a lot of game bird and waterfowl hunting and started using semi auto and pump actions and then went on to using mostly double shotguns for hunting.
    At this stage of my life I have slowed down to mostly hunting deer and varmints and single shots are what I use.

Jedman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    Now that's ironic. Because my Dad did not like them had no bearing on me liking them however, he did not like them. Had absolutely no use for one. Of all his firearms when he passed away all but one were semi-auto's or pumps. The one oddball was an SMLE.
    My wife calls me OnRee for a reason.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Bub
    Mostly like them because of the simplicity. Started hunting with a old single-shot Savage Stevens 410 back in the 70s. Just kind of stuck with me. Second thing is like those adapters that you can buy I'm pretty sure you've got to have some kind of take down supposedly to work I don't think I can put them in a pump. Third I like hunting with a single shot mostly because I figure if I miss it gives the animal a chance to get away. Just makes it a little more critical that I get the shot off right the first time
    Last edited by Mossy88; 05-04-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    Im experiencing a little burnout right now! My single shot addiction is taken a toll

Banned

Single shots for doing-it-the-old-way simple fun challenge; semi and full auto for deadly serious "fun".

Boolit Man
    My Grandpa made me hunt sage grouse with a single shot 20 gauge when I was a kid. I hated that gun, how stupid to only have one shot! Once I matured a little I ended up with a Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet - I love that rifle. My kids grew up shooting it and now my grandkids are shooting it. Somehow when you know you only have one shot you seem to take more time to make sure you get the shot you want. I also found that I wasn't tied to Sierra 22 Hornet bullets, with no magazine length limits I could play with Vmax, Dogtown, cast or anything else I wanted. I have now talked myself into a couple of Handi rifles in 223, a Ruger #1 in 45-70 and a TC Encore in 223. My wife has confiscated one of the Handi rifles and the TC. Looks like I will be looking for more!

Boolit Buddy
    Only need one shot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Only need one shot.
    Unless the wagon train is surrounded.

Truthfully in a hunting rifle a single shot is all you need. I enjoy single shot quality rifles. Most of the economy late models are junk. There is a certain amount of enjoyment hunting with a quality firearm.

"I am just fascinated with all of the different actions that have been used to breech a single round. I collect them and like the more oddball types as long as they were well made and shootable".

Yes, Yes, Yes!! Well said Jedman! What a fascinating time the development of breechloading rifles..... Most of mine are military, as the history of that fascinates me as well, but nonetheless....what a cool period in time. Soooo many ways found to solve the same simple problem.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Because I load my own ammunition and I hate to chase after brass.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktw View Post
    Because I load my own ammunition and I hate to chase after brass.

-ktw
    If I am being 100% honest, this was the primary reason I got started with single shots. It just seemed like a so much more elegant solution than a bolt action.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Low parts count. Which came to me as I was looking at an exploded diagram of a .22 semiauto. My early Stevens 44s have 32 parts, counting each screw and pin individually. 34 for later models with the 2-piece pivots. The basic Ballard has 29. A Hopkins & Allen 922 is even simpler. Ditto the Maynard and the old Stevens Tip-up.

That repeater was over 100.
    Cognitive Dissident

I don’t own one yet but have seen and fired many that caught my eye. I like the simplicity, and the slower pace make it count feeling shooting them gives me.

Banned

Who can't at least appreciate a nice single shot?

Henry break open single .45-70 with upgraded sights ...

Boolit Master
    First gun I learned to shoot was a cooey single shot, within 2 weeks I was then presented with a box (50) shells and sent to the north forty bring back ground hog tail for each shell was the request. Sixty years have past I still have that single and a few more in both calibre and gauge. Its the simplicity and elegance of the action thats appealing to me falling blocks, rolling blocks and even trap doors are all simply marvelous in thier own homely way.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Only need one shot.
    Yeah, that's what Custer and the US Army thought too!

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Yeah, that's what Custer and the US Army thought too!
    And with that copper cased ammunition his men were issued, one shot was all they got.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    just because I do. and you don't shoot up a lot of ammo on the hunt, as with a DBL, PUMP, OR SEMI, AUTO. makes sense to me.

Boolit Bub
    First firearm was a 514 Remington bolt action single shot 22lr, and I hated it, wanted a Marlin 60. Years later after accumulating the "cool" guns I wanted, the 514 is one of my favorites, it's fun, quiet, and looks/feels good to me. I refinished the bluing (badly) and stock years ago, lengthened the stock to fit me and I love carrying it for a walk in the woods with a pocket full of shells. Now I have an Encore and looking forward to walking in the woods with it for hunting season.

Think it's something about slowing things down, working the action, and not having to pick brass up off the ground. Went through the same arc with revolvers and think I prefer them now for the same reasons.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast