MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mold INFLATION

Boolit Master
    Lee molds sold by Lee and reputable dealers are $20 or higher for the 6 cavity molds. Anything else is robbery. Do your homework and avoid the sham sellers.

Boolit Buddy
    RogerDat, OSB board at $33.00 a sheet???? where is that at? I need some at those prices. 7/16 is $52.92 at HD today.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    $128 for a box of 1000 primers. Brass....out of stock, back ordered, etc. Lee two cavity .38 caliber mold (used) $96. These are just some of the asking prices I've seen in the last month or so. Frankly, when availability brings prices back down I hope every one of the greedy fools selling that stuff chokes on it. The unfortunate fact is that once prices escalate, they never come back down to what you and I consider "normal". We watched prices go up during Obama's reign and they never went all the way back down once he left office.

It's components I worry about. With all the recent shootings you can bet your bottom dollar that the politicians will discover reloading and how "evil" it is. Powder will be their first target, followed by primers, etc. Trying to convince these folks that the average street thug knows nothing about reloading is like talking to a dumb wall.

So, once prices DO drop to an affordable level........stack it high and stack it deep.

As for lumber, I just built the wife a 10' planter out of two treated 2 x 12's............$241!!!!!! That's the last project I'm working on for awhile.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 04-20-2021 at 06:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    Accurate molds and Noe are selling for the same prices. They are behind on production though.

ADMIN

Purchase quality molds directly from the manufactures as stated above.

MP molds, Accurate, NOE, and other quality direct order manufactures haven't jacked their prices up to the panic levels everything else is at right now.

Now with primers, powder and other supplies.
    The market sets the price.
    Powder Valley Inc stopped listing up primers as they have a huge backorder.
    Midway USA 's last price on CCI SPP was $60 per K which is double of what it should be.
    A quick check just know on Gunbroker lists CCI SPP as $190 per K (active auction with bids ending in @8 hrs)

As long as people are willing to pay these high prices then they will stay high.
    I have a feeling that once the market has been saturated with ammo (in other words once people have enough at home to feel comfortable) then the shelves will start being stocked back up.
    Once that happens then the supply of primers will go back up and the prices will come back down.
    I doubt very seriously that the prices of primers will be back down to the $30 per K that it once was.

We may - possibly - be seeing the beginning of the end of this cycle of price craziness for molds.

I had been looking for a six cav Lee 358-125-rf mold for a while, but as you noted if you could find one it was going to be twice or more suggested retail which I was not going to pay.

Last night I noticed there were new Lee molds closing without bids and prices beginning (from SOME sellers) starting to inch downwards. Found one with handles starting at $89.99. Put in the minimum bid and took it as the sole bidder. Free shipping. So basically the msrp of $60 for the mold, $26 for the handles, and the remaining $4 to cover the shipping. More than I would have paid two years ago, half or less of what was being asked two months ago. I think other sellers will begin to notice their stock is not selling so we'll start to see prices coming down. Not universally as there will be some who will simply continue to relist at preposterous prices, but the rest will begin to feel the downward pressure.

Hopefully the same is beginning to occur with powder and primers.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I have close friends who own a lumber yard, and they're suffering, plus they feel sorry for anyone doing any building right now. They told me there have been days when they've received up to three price increases from their suppliers in one day! And that's for studs. The wholesale price of plywood and OSB, which we call "Oregon Sponge Board", has gone through the roof on the wholesale end, and the retailers have no choice but to pass it on to the consumers. Between the Wuhan Flu issues, all the fires last summer across the nation, plus flood and storm damage, combined with environmental restrictions, the lumber market is crazy. Here in the U.S., most of the lumber is coming off privately owned land. I'm looking out my window as I type this at several thousand acres of Forest Service timber that is off limits to harvesting, due to continuous lawsuits and unrealistic regulations. My friends have also told me there have been recent times when certain wood products haven't been available at any price.

These issues don't only apply to lumber. The items we use in our chosen hobby are also subject to some of the same problems. Copper and lead mines have been forced to shut down, along with the mills to turn the ore into usable products. Steel mills have been forced to close over the last several decades, along with the mines that used to produce iron ore.

All these things have consequences, and we as the end users are the ones who will pay for it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Remember when President Klinton came to Portland for the Timber summit?

All the parties sat down and hammered out an agreement that would allow harvesting on public lands. The next day the enviro-weenies sued to stop any timber sales on public land.

There's enough timber on public land in Oregon and Washington to supply most of the US demand for the next 200 years. However the enviro-weenies don't want ANY timber cut, public or private. They would rather let it burn than have it cut.

It's as stupid as it sounds. When you cut down timber you lock up the carbon, the stuff that's supposed to be causing "climate change" but really doesn't, if you let it burn all that carbon is released. The enviro-weenies shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways.

Also the Government pays all their costs when they sue the Government to stop timber sales. That's got to be a nice racket.
    NRA Benefactor.

$123T ‘actual’ National Debt, what do you think happens when you print money like Zimbabwe ? Venezuela has a $1billion dollar note that’s worth ,wait for it ........ $.53 not $53.00 or $530.00, or 5300.00 nope .53 cents. We will be there sooner than you think.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    $123T ‘actual’ National Debt, what do you think happens when you print money like Zimbabwe ? Venezuela has a $1billion dollar note that’s worth ,wait for it ........ $.53 not $53.00 or $530.00, or 5300.00 nope .53 cents. We will be there sooner than you think.
    A couple of those would make good conversation, when starting the barbecue with them.

Boolit Master
    Inflation is the increase in the money supply. When the supply of money increases, it's buying power (value) goes down. When the value of a dollar goes down, it takes more of them to buy any item. Then add in an increase in the demand for an item and you have a very large increase in the price. When the demand goes down the price will go down but not to the pre inflation price. Primers will never be $7 a thousand like they were when I started loading. Molds will never be what they were two years ago. Neither will anything else. Govt deficit spending and interference in capitalism with regulations are the problem.

Moderator Emeritus

Keep looking around. I just bought a Lee 6 banger today for $38 plus a few dollars shipping. Not the greatest price but no complaints.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Inflation is the increase in the money supply.
    There’s multiple types of inflation.

What you describe is demand-pull, which is one of the two most common types and what we’ll likely be seeing soon.

The other common type is cost-push, basically when cost of goods sold goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Remember when President Klinton came to Portland for the Timber summit?

All the parties sat down and hammered out an agreement that would allow harvesting on public lands. The next day the enviro-weenies sued to stop any timber sales on public land.
    So, the screaming hypocrisy of the enviro extremists is: they are living in houses made of wood and are using other wood products. they are not walking everywhere and riding bicycles to work, and are using fossil fuel for energy. The truth that many miss is most "renewable" energy sources require fossil fuel for peaking and backup, b/c the sun don't shine and wind don't blow at higher levels when people need more energy. "Zero emission" vehicles account for part of emission at the electricity generating station, plus lithium battery production and copper production for motor windings have measurable negative effects on the environment.

Progress requires energy: Biden and company's idea to make energy more expensive will serve as disincentive for economy's growth.
    "Wherever was found what was called a paternal government was found a state education. It'd been discovered that the best way to insure implicit obedience was to commence tyranny in the nursery." -Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    RogerDat, OSB board at $33.00 a sheet???? where is that at? I need some at those prices. 7/16 is $52.92 at HD today.
    Well that was a price from the day before.... I'm simply floored by the prices. I think things will gradually get back to normal as vaccine gets distributed and summer which seems to slow the spread. All it takes is a very tiny shift in the number of people who get infected by each person who catches it. If that number is 1.1 people catch it from each sick person the growth rate is 10% however if that can get pushed down to .9 then the drop in cases will be 10% or 20% less increase than a growing infection.

I'm hoping before late fall to see prices sane enough to at least make a new ramp into the garden shed. Few sticks of treated 2x6 shouldn't cost more than the contents of the shed.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

All sorts of materials are in short supply. We have a global supply chain. Great time to be selling scrap. Have heard at the yard that people are digging out their garage and behind the garage junk to bring in.

Automation and ability to produce in whichever place has the lowest costs for labor and plant infrastructure has shut down a whole lot of production. As well as the industry wide tendency to consolidate into few but larger companies by purchasing your competition and then "consolidating" manufacturing capacity. Fancy way of saying cheaper to run one plant 2 shifts than 2 plants for 1 shift. This also means that one has fewer points of failure. A single plant that manufactures auto computer chip has determined production capacity of our automakers. A couple of meat plants have to shut down and a few breathless news stories about it and another item disappears.

Lee has trouble getting or pays more for materials, which it can only do to a limited extent then it will produce fewer molds. At the same time most people know this situation is temporary. Annoying as all get out but temporary.

The prices on auction site price in this environment reflects the financial capacity of the two people in the country who are the most desperate to purchasing an item. Last time I looked prices for the $20 mold were down to $50 from a high of $150 probably because people have figured out that while one has to shop around to hit a mold in stock and selection is not great molds are being produced.

I would be another to suggest the custom mold makers are a solution. Or one can wait, bum some already cast off a friend, borrow a mold. Offer a swap in S&S forum here. Might even post a WTB in the S&S forum. Folks here tend to more caretakers of our hobby then get rich quick off of it. On the other hand you (or I) have no special claim to tell someone they are wrong for wanting market price. For all we know the times being a bit rough they may need the money, or just want to get the best price for what they have. Just as auction sites drive the market up, folks willing to give fellow casters a break drive the price in S&S down.

If folks don't buy the overpriced auction molds then the scalpers will stop buying them all up from the regular retail outlets. That is when things return to normal in the mold market.

Buddy who does deliveries all over the country is seeing ammo in stores here and there. Usually with a purchase limit of a couple or three boxes. He managed to picked up some 22, 30-06, 40 and a bunch of skeet shotgun 20 and 12 gauge. So it is going into the retail outlets but unlike online they have to live with their customers eh? Also the market for scalpers and stockpilers is limited in a geographic area.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    All GONRA's "Lyman / Ideal" moulds were $4.50 when purchased WAAAAAAAY back when.
    (Thought I'd have to put all this stuff into the GoodWill box
    but GrandSons have SUDDENLY GOTTEN INTERESTED!)

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    Some of us bitch about Lee molds. But think about it. 22 dollars for a mold? I've had a lot of fun with some of these molds. I like the new molds better than the old and wanted to replace my 120 grain 30 cal mold with the newer version.

Neither Titan nor Lee have had 30 cal molds for several months now.

Many Lee molds are available on Ebay but not from our normal distributors. Some with "buy it now" prices that are 3 times the normal price.

I found the mold I want for 4 times the normal amout, 88 bucks.

This imsanity sucks bog water.
    just me personally, but Id rather pay the extra the first time and get better quality.
    I love my Lee moulds, but Im moving on to higher quality brandnames for future purchases.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 38SuperAuto View Post
    So, the screaming hypocrisy of the enviro extremists is: they are living in houses made of wood and are using other wood products. they are not walking everywhere and riding bicycles to work, and are using fossil fuel for energy. The truth that many miss is most "renewable" energy sources require fossil fuel for peaking and backup, b/c the sun don't shine and wind don't blow at higher levels when people need more energy. "Zero emission" vehicles account for part of emission at the electricity generating station, plus lithium battery production and copper production for motor windings have measurable negative effects on the environment.

Progress requires energy: Biden and company's idea to make energy more expensive will serve as disincentive for economy's growth.
    Oh...no...they just say they'll get around to taking their environmentalism thing later on...like when its literally being forced on them and us...lmao.
    Ive asked this myself and they just excuse their destroying nature as a 'necessary evil' till the rest of us are forced to be tree huggers too. lol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    MP molds, Accurate, NOE, and other quality direct order manufactures haven't jacked their prices up to the panic levels everything else is at right now.
    Because demand isn't there for their products.

Prices reflect supply and demand. Suppliers don't just choose a price. If there's money to be made, people will just buy up all their stuff and resell it. There's no beating the market. If the market wants a mold to sell at double its pre-pandemic price, that's what it'll cost or there will be a shortage.

That's why it costs $8 right now for a 2x4. You can dream the price to be something else if you wish, but if you want a 2x4, that's what they cost.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Because demand isn't there for their products.

Prices reflect supply and demand. Suppliers don't just choose a price. If there's money to be made, people will just buy up all their stuff and resell it. There's no beating the market. If the market wants a mold to sell at double its pre-pandemic price, that's what it'll cost or there will be a shortage.

That's why it costs $8 right now for a 2x4. You can dream the price to be something else if you wish, but if you want a 2x4, that's what they cost.
    Sorry, but the demand is there. Wait times have gone up, availability is way down.

The reason the prices haven't gone up is you're buying them direct from the manufacturer. The more "middlemen" in the supply chain the crazier things get.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast