RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington New Army 44 Bullet Sugggestions.

Boolit Master
    At what weight would a cast bullet be too heavy for a replica Remington .44?
    What about a conversion cylinder?
    And, what about a ROA?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    At what weight would a cast bullet be too heavy for a replica Remington .44?
    What about a conversion cylinder?
    And, what about a ROA?
    Here is a list of paper cartridges from the Civil War. Someone tested the Hazard’s cartridges and found they contained 4F powder and was virtually identical to Swiss in energy. Looking at the load data that’s one heck of a cartridge.

quick image upload

Note also that some very heavy bullets were used. What the powder was like is unknown to me, but I can see why some of the soldiers claimed it didn’t work well on men. But then the bullet style of the day was very pointy, which we know at pistol velocities merely allows the flesh to stretch creating a smaller than caliber permanent wound track.

Modern replicas are made with better steel, and the Rugers are indestructible as far as black powder goes.

We know that mass creates higher pressures as it takes more to get it moving, but I’d say what’s much more important is the amount of bearing surface which creates drag on the cylinder walls, it’s why I created my heavier bullets with them as I knew Rugers can handle all I can give them and some. There’s a fellow on another forum who has tested modern bullets in his guns including a full wadcutter, but he was using Jack’s Battle Powder which isn’t all that energetic. IIRC he used 30 grns of powder. So we see that a fairly heavy (I think it was 200 grns) bullet with a crap ton of friction can certainly be handled by a replica with standard powders.

45Dragoon who works on replicas shoots his (Dragoons) with conversion cylinders only and he loads his up quite a bit stouter than many recommend. I don’t know what kind of cylinders he uses though, which likely makes all the difference. He states conversion cylinders can certainly handle more than your typical cowboy loads, but I’m not knowledgeable on them whatsoever.

Mungo like round

but interested in something with a wide meplat

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    Mungo like round

but interested in something with a wide meplat
    Several of us have gone to Accurate Molds and created what we wanted, or chose from his wide range of options. Kaido also has modified Lee designs and Big Lube has a few options as well. I’m sure there’s some others as well. Of course you’ll need to verify that you don’t have the slower 1:30” twist designed for a ball that doesn’t seem to shoot bullets well. It’s why I created a wide meplat bullet for my Pietta NMA thinking it would. It weighs 195 grns and is just .460” long. Turns out it has a 1:16” twist so I’ll be making a new design eventually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12