Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W Model 10-5 Lead buildup just ahead of forcing cone?

Spot on guy. Good luck the 38 spl cartridge is a versatile, easy to load cartridge with a hoast of bullet designs available.

Tale Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Vendor Sponsor

Trying to learn a little. I read - Cutting the forcing cone to 11 degrees improves the transition. What is the factory forcing cone cut to? greater or lesser than 11 degrees?
    Chill Wills

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Trying to learn a little. I read - Cutting the forcing cone to 11 degrees improves the transition. What is the factory forcing cone cut to? greater or lesser than 11 degrees?
    Great question. The factory forcing cones in S&W and older Rugers, such as the "Six" series, was 18 degrees included angle. Using an 11 degree reamer enables you to clean up circumferential tool marks without enlarging the base diameter of the forcing cone entrance, which should not exceed 1.05 times max bullet diameter. Colts usually came 11 degrees from the factory. Jim Clark, Bob Day, Reeves Jungkind and Bob Collins generally used a more gentle 6 to 9 degree forcing cone on their PPC guns.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Great question. The factory forcing cones in S&W and older Rugers, such as the "Six" series, was 18 degrees included angle. Using an 11 degree reamer enables you to clean up circumferential tool marks without enlarging the base diameter of the forcing cone entrance, which should not exceed 1.05 times max bullet diameter. Colts usually came 11 degrees from the factory. Jim Clark, Bob Day, Reeves Jungkind and Bob Collins generally used a more gentle 6 to 9 degree forcing cone on their PPC guns.
    The GP-100 are 5 degrees ir rather that is what I was told they are.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Had some of the old federal 246 grain lead bullet 44 special ammunition. Not knowing the alloy I did a light coat of Lee alox lube on the exposed nose section. After a couple shots you could smell that familiar aroma. 50 rounds through the revolver and no leading. And my free loading buddy asked for the brass. No way, was shooting my S&W 624 with the 6.5" barrel. And he didn't even have a 44 special. Frank

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The factory forcing cones in S&W and older Rugers, such as the "Six" series, was 18 degrees included angle. Using an 11 degree reamer enables you to clean up circumferential tool marks without enlarging the base diameter of the forcing cone entrance, which should not exceed 1.05 times max bullet diameter.
    Thank you for the explanation.
    Chill Wills

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    The GP-100 are 5 degrees ir rather that is what I was told they are.

Take Care

Bob
    GP100 production came about after I left the company, but from eyeballing examples in the LGS your observation appears correct.
    Should work really well.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123