RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can you just PC and (almost) forget about BHN?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by maglvr View Post
    "(I shoot at my house)" Not only is that dangerous if others are home, it may well ruin the value of the place should you decide to sell someday!
    say what? Is this a Kalifornia thing?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    It is.

Just as when adding sugar to sweet tea. You don't have to have the sweet tea at the melting point of sugar.

Antimony will dissolve in lead if you use the proper flux.

OP.

I use a BHN of 10-11 for almost all my shooting needs. You can shoot pure lead in 45 ACP with no problems as long as bullet fit is correct. I normally use Hi-Tek as a coating. The only times I go harder than 10-11 is for some 327FM loads and for rifle loads.
    I have been contemplating putzing with pure/near pure for 45ACP. You have given me the confidence to give it a try. I hate using up my COWW for 50/50 if it's not needed.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I have been contemplating putzing with pure/near pure for 45ACP. You have given me the confidence to give it a try. I hate using up my COWW for 50/50 if it's not needed.
    At 45ACP velocities powder coated pure lead will work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    At 45ACP velocities powder coated pure lead will work.
    Absolutely.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Many moons ago I worked extensively with a really tightened and accurized 1911 in a ransom rest.

The very best groups were with pure linotype 452460 200 grain bullets. 4.0 grains of bullseye and Javalina lube. That combo achieved 1.25" for 5 shots at 50 yards.

I also played with pure lead and the best I could get with Bullseye powder was 3" at 25 yards. I recovered some of the fired pure lead bullets and measured the land marks with calipers and the land marks were about 25% wider than on a linotype bullet. I had no COWW back then, the only metals I had were lino and pure lead. The mold for the pure lead was a Lee 6 cavity tumble lead semiwadcutter.

The groups are the proof though, I always figured that a bit slower powder than Bullseye might work better with pure lead in 45 acp.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    Many moons ago I worked extensively with a really tightened and accurized 1911 in a ransom rest.

The very best groups were with pure linotype 452460 200 grain bullets. 4.0 grains of bullseye and Javalina lube. That combo achieved 1.25" for 5 shots at 50 yards.

I also played with pure lead and the best I could get with Bullseye powder was 3" at 25 yards. I recovered some of the fired pure lead bullets and measured the land marks with calipers and the land marks were about 25% wider than on a linotype bullet. I had no COWW back then, the only metals I had were lino and pure lead. The mold for the pure lead was a Lee 6 cavity tumble lead semiwadcutter.

The groups are the proof though, I always figured that a bit slower powder than Bullseye might work better with pure lead in 45 acp.
    That is not surprising because the harder alloy is much better able to resist the torque of spin up. But a soft alloy can be encased in a hard jacket then it is the jacket resisting the force. This holds true whether the jacket is metal or polymer, there has to be sufficient thickness of the jacket.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234